personally, i don't like them. i was just wondering what anyone who does like them sees that i don't see.
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
It's just preference, why do you like the guitar you have? Because you like it, who cares what other people think

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Some people like them, others don't.

Deal with it.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
mostly aesthetics and the association with ac/dc, other wise an LP is superior tonally.
I also dont like Sgs but i like ESP vipers. I think those guitars are a million times cooler
Great bite,amazing feel, easier fret access compared to a Les Paul,its companion.Its light,the pickup selector is in a very practical location,and the tone is amazing.

That makes an SG better.
meh
Quote by get ta led out!
Great bite,amazing feel, easier fret access compared to a Les Paul,its companion.Its light,the pickup selector is in a very practical location,and the tone is amazing.

That makes an SG better.

This, and it just plain looks badass.

It's all subjective though. Some people like certain guitars, some people like others. It's as simple as that.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
you could say this with all guitars...i have a telecaster, which most metalheads dont like...but i played a dean dimebag and thought it was the noisiest most obnoxious sounding thing ive ever heard...personal preference my friend
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
i really wish i liked them, they look like 12 kinds of cool
but i dislike how the neck feels and the fact that they are neck heavey and have no carved back so the neck moves away from my body
He's just jealous because he dont have an electric guitar
My gear:
-No Brand Classical Guitar
-Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Boss GT-8
-Boss DS-1
-Roland Cube 60

FREE TACOS!!!
If i had to pick a gibson guitar, it would be an SG.... because of the shape of it. So easy to reach the higher frets. Thats the only thing i like about it.

What i dont like is the strap.... when you put one on an SG the guitar tilts down to one side and its annoying.
I like Les Pauls more, because, it feels more comfortable to me.

Trust me, when I was trying out guitars a year ago, it was between an SG and a Les Paul, and the SG was just weird to play.

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I used to like them, but I've gotten sick of them recently. Just too much of a pain to play comfortably. If they made an SG which had a body twice as thick as usual, I'd definitely buy it. As they are now though, the bodies are just too damn thin and light.

It's a shame because the SG Goddesses looked amazing... but they had an even thinner body than regular SGs.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by gtr_101
It's just preference, why do you like the guitar you have? Because you like it, who cares what other people think

This seems to be a difficult concept for most to understand.
they look like the devil

and they're light and sound pretty good

unbalanced as hell and baseball bat neck though, so no SG for me
i like em cause they r so light
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I think it sounds and looks like it means business, but I've played my teachers one and I hate it, the neck and feel of it. As someone said, it's just preference.
Quote by transformerryan
two words: Angus Young

Not everyone that has a SG wants to be Angus, sure he had one and a lot of people associate the SG with Angus but the SG is a great guitar, Angus or not.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by Slone
Not everyone that has a SG wants to be Angus, sure he had one and a lot of people associate the SG with Angus but the SG is a great guitar, Angus or not.

True, but having an extremely well-known player associated with the SG certainly adds to the "fascination", and probably introduced it to people who may have otherwise overlooked it.
I know that the Les Paul is a quality instrument, but surely its popularity has surged over the years when players like Jimmy Page, Ace Frehley, Slash and Zakk Wylde became associated with it.
Quote by transformerryan
True, but having an extremely well-known player associated with the SG certainly adds to the "fascination", and probably introduced it to people who may have otherwise overlooked it.
I know that the Les Paul is a quality instrument, but surely its popularity has surged over the years when players like Jimmy Page, Ace Frehley, Slash and Zakk Wylde became associated with it.

well, it was revamped in 1961, but then les paul said no so the all new "les paul model" became the SG. Then people like jeff beck and eric clapton were seen playing the original les pauls and gibson reissued it.

basically the reason the SG is called the SG and not the les paul is because les paul didn't like it.

I like SGs and i can live with all the little annoyances like poor weight distribution.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by get ta led out!

totally agree with this
and yes, the sweet look is nice also
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by transformerryan

Yeah, I agree, I was just saying that not everyone who plays the same guitar as a well known person wants to be like em.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Slone...your sig inspired me to change mine up
that song owns
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
Slone...your sig inspired me to change mine up
that song owns

I wake up and ask myself "what would jesus do?" and the answer is inspire the masses, so I do that
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by transformerryan
two words: Angus Young

Acually, I associate SGs with Tony Iommi more than with Angus. As I see it, an SG fits the style and figure of Iommi perfectly.

And what attracts me to an SG more than to a Les Paul is its fret access and the usual lighter weight. In my book, feel is where it's at, when it comes to picking the guitar
They are not bad, I've played them and they are a bit like a LP but a whole lot lighter, I still prefer LPs.
The reason people like SG's, me included, is because they look completely badass. If the devil played guitar, he would have an SG. End of story.
Quote by guitarlover57
So what is this "pear", iv heard so much about? people on here keep talking about it and i have no idea what theyre saying,help me with this please!!
Quote by Blompcube
basically the reason the SG is called the SG and not the les paul is because les paul didn't like it.

really i thought it stood for sh*t guitar hahahaha i joke obviously
im not a fan of them myself, the fact that the 22nd fret is totally exposed makes me feel like its going to break, and the body is far too light, on the epi ones ive played they've had neck dive problems too, cant say im a fan to be honest
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
What's with the SG?

1) high fret access

2) light weight

3) neck that's like butter

4) great sound

5) looks (that's my personal opinion, I think they look much better than a tele)

I don't care who plays them, although I do use the sounds others get for preliminary evaluation of any guitar. In the past, Clapton, Kath, and quite a few others played them too.

Insights and incites by Notes:
Quote by ixelion
mostly aesthetics and the association with ac/dc, other wise an LP is superior tonally.

disagreed. sgs have all the chunk, but with a better bite. and its not the association with AC/DC, theyre very overrated, and almost everyone outgrows liking them.
I went to guitar center, picked up a BLUE Gibson SG and thought it looked cool. Played it and I was in heaven. The feel of it is just like angels singing... In a way that compares different senses to each other. Idk. It played REALLY well though. too bad it was way out of price range. They are nice.

As I said before, I never repeat myself.