I'm putting a dirty fingers for the bridge of my gibson flying v. I'm looking for a fat, creamy neck pickup. I was thinking about a P-94 or a classic 57 in the neck. Should I put the bridge versions of the pickups to match the output of the dirty fingers? Maybe I should add second dirty fingers. Any suggestions?
The classic 57's are excellent pickups imo.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Good choice with the dirty fingers, that is a very good pickup. How much are you looking to spend on a neck pickup and what styles of music do you need to be able to play?
Not taking any online orders.
I'm looking to spend no more than $130. I'm looking for more of a classic rock sound, but I play everything so versatility is important. Just need something really fat and creamy. I have a deluxe american strat and that can do thin and smooth. I'm want the v to b the strat's polar opposite.
'57 Classic might be a little hot, depending how 'creamy' you want the neck pickup to be. A BurstBucker #1 might be a better way to go, it has slightly lower output with a little more bass and mid response than the '57 and a touch less treble.

Or I'd suggest Semyour Duncan pickups. They have more choice for lower-output smooth neck pickups. Pearly Gates, Jazz, Seth Lover or Alnico II Pro would all be pretty good, just depends exactly what kind of bass/mid/treble tone variation you're after.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
So does creaminess go up when the output gets lower? I also want it to be clear.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by JELIFISH19
I'm looking to spend no more than $130. I'm looking for more of a classic rock sound, but I play everything so versatility is important. Just need something really fat and creamy. I have a deluxe american strat and that can do thin and smooth. I'm want the v to b the strat's polar opposite.

Ok then... I'd recomend something wound to about 9K to 10K with an alnico magnet. Alnico 3 would be the best because it's warm like alnico 2 but doesn't get muddy like alnico 2 does. Alnico 5 would be good too but it isn't as thick as alnico 3. I'd also recomend nickel covers because they thicken your tone and filter out noise.

A custom version of my Warm Heritage pickup would fit this very nicely and would be in your pricerange. Other good options would be DiMarzio's Breed, PAF Pro.

Quote by JELIFISH19
So does creaminess go up when the output gets lower? I also want it to be clear.

Yes and no. Higher output pickups give you more midrange and less bass and treble. They types of magnets that give you a more "creamy" tone happen to be the type of magnets that give you less output. Adding a few more windings to a pickup gives you a warmer midrange (which is what I think you mean by creamy) and it raises output, however, if you wind the pickup too hot then it gets too much midrange and sounds sharp and nasal. So not hot enough = thin and cold but very open while too hot means shap, compressed, and nasal. You have to get it just right.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 6, 2008,