The dating of this caught me a little bit on the back foot. Was planning to rip a few records in time for this but things came up and time wasn't on my side. Hopefully there are a few things on here you've yet to hear, I tried to be original with what I could find on my computer. Hope you enjoy.

http://disconcerted.muxtape.com/

1. Nybbl - God Only Knows (Beach Boys cover)

Found this on my computer, taken from an album entitled ‘Hippocamp ruins Pet Sound’, which, if I have remembered correctly, was one of those copyright infringing albums that caught the headlines because what the internet was doing to music. Don’t expect the rest of the compilation to follow the same style but I think it’s actually a worthy re-working of a classic.

2. Pearls Before Swine - Space

Tom Rapp and Pearls Before Swine were one of those bands in the 60s and 70s that helped to push the prefix of ‘psych’ and ‘acid’ onto the word ‘folk’. This track came on a compilation (Badaboom Gramophone #4) I got a few years back and think it appeared around the same time on an outtakes CD.

3. Jackson C Frank - I Want to be Alone (Dialogue)

Jackson is my musical hero. The whole desert island disc scenario applies for me in the case of his self-titled album. He came to the UK in the ‘60s with lots of money ($100,000 that was compensation for a fire he was stuck in as a child), bought fast cars, dated Sandy Denny and Elaine Sedgwick, created a lone album with Simon & Garfunkel and Al Stewart and then fell into trouble.
Sadly he died a bit of a wreck in 1999, but he did leave behind some of the greatest folk music you’ll ever hear.
There should be a book about him coming out in the next few weeks as well.

4. Twinsistermoon - Rivers of Blood Ending in the Sun

Ok, I couldn’t really find a perfect spot for this song in the compilation but it had to be included. Twinsistermoon is Mehdi Ameziane from France. He also plays as one half of Natural Snow Buildings and creates this kind of droning folk that is inexplicably good.

5. Kevin Ayers, John Cale, Brian Eno & Nico - Baby’s on Fire

I have been writing this tracklisting in a random order and by now I feel like I’ve said half a dozen songs are ‘the best ever’ and now a problem has appeared, what can this one be? The original on Eno’s ‘Here come the warm jets’ album was decent, but this version takes the song to another level entirely. Turn your speakers up!

6. The Flys - Love and a Molotov Cocktail

Punk? Not really. Pop? Not quite either. They fitted somewhere in between in the ‘70s with this being their most successful and popular track. Taken from ‘Waikiki Beach Refugees’; a very recommendable album if you enjoy this.

7. Kaputter Hamster - Mental Convenience

A few years ago I had a large phase listening to what is generally described as ‘kraut-rock’. This was one of the LPs I picked up (although a reproduction) and it dragged me further into the period. With a name like Broken Hamster how can you not like them? This song demonstrates about as well as any other from the period how British and American prog rock was influencing bands to great effect.

8. Catapilla - Promises

This is one of those prog bands from the UK. Can’t say I know much about the band but the self-titled LP this song features on has become one of those hugely collectable Vertigo swirl records that fetch big bucks. I also can’t say that it’s my favourite song of the period, but it isn’t one I’m ever tempted to turn off.

9. Jeff Buckley - We All Fall In Love Sometimes (Elton John cover)

Taken from the best Jeff Buckley set I’ve ever heard (WFMU, 1992). Unfortunately it cuts off quite suddenly, but I hope that doesn’t ruin its effect for anyone that decides to listen. Really beautiful.

10. Machingbyrd - Mary B. Reel

This was the only song I did manage to get ripped from a record. One of the few really sought after records I own and one that no one on the net seems to have ripped so I keep getting bugged by people on RYM asking if I could upload it for them. Anyway, this is just a really nice instrumental guitar piece from 1980 taken from the album, 'The road to forbidden ecstasy'.

11. Tom Waits - Whistlin’ Past the Graveyard

I was searching for a Screamin’ Jay Hawkins album I’m convinced I have somewhere when this came on the random selection on iTunes. Perfect. Well, close enough. Tom Waits is a legend and I don’t think many will argue. He’s appeared on at least one other playlist for the CR radio, but heck, who cares?! Just enjoy.

12. The Utica Club Natural Carbonation Band - Beer Drinking Song

Written as a beer advert in the US but for some reason released on a 7” (with an instrumental version on the b-side), this is quite possibly the most repeatable song you will ever hear. I really have no clue if this accompanied a TV commercial or just sold in the brewery, but it is an absolute classic and a bit of an oddity.

--------------------------------

Previous Weeks:
BrainDamage 2008-06-25
DownInAHole. 2008-07-02
metalfan#3 2008-07-09
DayTripper1967 2008-07-16
psychodelia 2008-07-23
master 2008-07-30

Up Next:
1. gtrplyr54 2008-08-13
2. Iron_Dude 2008-08-20
3. ohhey9040 2008-08-27
4. Maet 2008-09-03
5. S.A.Dange 2008-09-10
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
***Edited and stuck as usual***

There's a lot on there that I've never even heard of...this should be a fun listen

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Definitely excited for this. A lot of new music to discover
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Really enjoyed 6-10. I wasn't crazy about prog/folk stuff, but it was alright. All around good mix.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Really enjoyed 6-10. I wasn't crazy about prog/folk stuff, but it was alright. All around good mix.

Thanks. Glad there was something in there that appealed.

Probably a good reason why a lot of it stands largely unknown but hopefully there will be a couple of things that catch the ears of people in this forum.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I listened to this a few days ago, with the exception of the last 3 or 4 songs (they wouldn't start for some reason). I'll have to go back and listen again to make specific comments, but overall I liked what I heard.

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
^ It's not really what you'd expect to hear at the start of a Classic Rock radio session.

Glad it wasn't unbearable Matt. The Utica Club song is so good (but not in a masterpiece way), you have to go back and try and force it to work.

RateYourMusic
The TwinSisterMoon and Catapilla were really great. I need to get my hands on more of that

edit: listening to Catapilla's self-titled. Intense stuff!
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
That Catapilla album is spectacular as a whole, not so convinced when I hear just the one track though for some reason.
Yet to hear 'Changes' by them but I have been told that it is even better.

Glad you enjoyed Twinsistermoon, that was the most out of place track on the list.

RateYourMusic
"love and molotov cocktail" is a really great song, i'm glad you put it on here. the jeff buckley cover was also a really good track. those two in particular were my favorites, but i liked most of what i heard. thanks for this!
I listened to the Rivers of Blood Flowing into the Sun EP, and that's fun... they could have maybe developed some of the drones a bit more, that's all.

Right now, I'm checking out The Dance of the Moon and Sun by Natural Snow Buildings. Kind of a mixed bag thus far... there's a lot to digest here; definitely some good work, but I'm not sure how I feel about it all. Going to need some more listens (ha, I probably shouldn't have started with the massive double-disc).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^ 'Rivers of blood ending in the sun' was just a 3" CD and Mehdi tends to use the TSM moniker for shorter songs. Check out some of the small edition stuff by Natural Snow Buildings if you want more of the drones ('Laurie Bird', 'Slayer of the King of Hell', 'Wheel of sharp daggers'). Infact, someone that puts on a Dutch (I think) radio show sent me a link to a track they did for them...

http://www.majjem.com/2805majjempart2.mp3

It doesn't take up the whole mp3 but it's about 40 minutes long (from what I can remember).
'The dance of the moon and the sun' is fantastic. Considering how insanely long it is I often find it hard to turn off the stereo. It almost absorbs you at points.

Quote by DayTripper1967
"love and molotov cocktail" is a really great song, i'm glad you put it on here. the jeff buckley cover was also a really good track. those two in particular were my favorites, but i liked most of what i heard. thanks for this!

It's an absolute classic. Bit of a shame they aren't so well known any more because 'Waikiki Beach Refugees' was a really good album and even the b-sides to the singles I've found were worth a listen.

Was in two minds whether to include that Buckley track or the version of 'The way young lovers do' (Van Morrison) from the same show. The latter is my preferred track but I've used that too many times in compilations so figured it was time for a bit of a change.

RateYourMusic