*sigh*...idk, i just forked out $575 on a hellraiser & $525 for my 5150 combo and it seems like i still have such muddy, cheap, fizzy tone...

im sure it has to do STILL with my amps post being at like 2, but id probably get in trouble for cranking it outside..

ugh..whats the point of having a tube amp for its unique tone if you cant USE the tone without buying some attenuator or noise gate?!

i mean, i love the crisp chords, distinct palm-mutes, & wild harmonics of my favorite bands, (and i know that 2 or 3 of them use/have used the same rig i have...WITH some misc. pedals they use) but i still cant seem to get a good tone for covering their songs

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
It's totally the volume pot being stuck at 2

Take it outside and crank that ****!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
If you hate it then sell it, easy as that. But tube amps do need to be turned up louder.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
search on musicainsfriend i know they have something that you can use to get high volume tone without cranking it up to high
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
This were smart buying come in play. If you know you can't crank it then why buy it, unless you know the low volumes are good enough for you, but the way it looks its not working for you. I say trade it in for something lower watts (or sell it), consider an XXX 40 watt, i can crank this
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Just to double- check... what's your Pre at? Also, turning your post up more probably won't do too much if it's still got the stock power tubes in it, they're p.o.s Sovteks unless I'm mistaken.
Buy a selection of tung sol and jj preamp tubes, install and enjoy.
I just noticed...

You're playing the combo version

FTR, the sheffield speakers are crap, as well as the stock tubes. It would be worth a speaker change and re-tube, AS WELL AS cranking the hell outta that thing
its been newly re-tubed with JJ power & pre-amp tubes, so..i suppose ill take it out one day and crank it...

until i can fork out $$ to put some V30s in it

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Yeah, i would say speakers and pre-amp push at this point.
Speakers are very important. Vintage 30's will improve your tone drastically. Maybe though the 5150 is just not for you? When a band uses a setup, even if its the same as yours, their tone has been tweaked to all hell by a professional sound engineers in both the stuido and in a live situation. Having an engineer pays dividens for your tone.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Yeah, i would say speakers and pre-amp push at this point.

pre-amp gain is at like 8....

and it seems that when my presence knob is anywhere below 9 or 10...my tone has a dark bassy feel, but once i hit 9, its as bright as can be

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Turn the pre-amp gain down a bit, and turn your volume up. I find that the higher the gain is on the 5150's, the fizzier it gets. Try using your treble at 5.5 or 6 and control with the presence.
imo too much gain and presence.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
What's all your EQ settings?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Way to much gain, thats why it sounds fizzy, try turning your amps gain to 9:00 and adjust from there.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by jambi_mantra
What's all your EQ settings?

this is what i had it at:

bass-7
mid-4.5
treble-8/8.5
pre-8
post-2
resonance-7.5/8
presence-8.5/9

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Some forget that ****ty players can make good amps sound bad... I'm not one to accuse... but maybe you might want to focus a little on your technique? alot of tone comes from the hands...
Quote by jcp42877
this is what i had it at:

bass-7
mid-4.5
treble-8/8.5
pre-8
post-2
resonance-7.5/8
presence-8.5/9

I'd turn bass, resonance, presence, treble and pre gain down a bit.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
The presence control is a bit lame on 5150's, keep it low. gain on 8? Man your insane, i play downtuned metal and pre on 6 is a lot.
Quote by jambi_mantra
I'd turn bass, resonance, presence, treble and pre gain down a bit.

ya, amkes somewhat sense..i also liked what the other guy said of, turn down pre: turn up post, & turn down treble to like 5.5 or 6 and use the presence as my boost knob for highs

that way the result= less fizz & better tone when turned up

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by JaGi
The presence control is a bit lame on 5150's, keep it low. gain on 8? Man your insane, i play downtuned metal and pre on 6 is a lot.

yeah, i figure low pre & presence might not sound so great and crisp on low volume, but im hoping when i turn it up to like 4 or 5 to get good saturation, it all evens out well

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
It will sound AWESOME if you lower those things, even on lower volumes.....
My settings are are like bass 5 mids 6.5 as it's a fairly middy amp and treble 7.

I don't bother using the resonance and presence, I've fiddled with it, but I can't find a setting that's got big enough of a difference to make it worth it.

Pre :4, post 3.

These aren't for br00talz though. For that'd I'd turn pre up a bit to 5 or 6. And then fiddle around.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
My settings are are like bass 5 mids 6.5 as it's a fairly middy amp and treble 7.

I don't bother using the resonance and presence, I've fiddled with it, but I can't find a setting that's got big enough of a difference to make it worth it.

Pre :4, post 3.

These aren't for br00talz though. For that'd I'd turn pre up a bit to 5 or 6. And then fiddle around.

ok, those seem to be pretty good settings, so you'd recommend pre around 4 for alt. rock, classic rock, etc. and 5.5/6 for hardcore & br00talz? because i play a lot of both, but i love to cover hardcore stuff with solid breakdowns

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
For classic rock I quite like to put the rhythm channel gain up to like 6 or 7 and have the volume fairly high. But it's up to you.

I'd say fiddle around with it yourself, but if you find yourself having lots of settings above 7, I'd start again from 5.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Here's what my settings are when mine is turned up to a band worthy volume.

Low - 8
Mid - 9
Hi - 5.5/6
Pre - 7
Post - 4/4.5
Res - 6
Pres - 9

Hope that helps.