hi, i currently play an ibanez soundgear SR300 bass with active pickups that i bought new this year. At the time of purchase i didnt reALLY know alot and rused into buying it. Now, a few months later, I'm really unhappy with the tone. Im guessing the bass is intended for metal, because thats how it sounds. I dont know how to describe it, but i guess you could say it sounds like its pissed all the time. Basically, i need a new tone. I play classic rock/funk/jam/blues, like Grateful Dead, allman brothers, phish, blind melon, muddy waters, black crowes ect. My question is, is there any way i can get a drastically new tone from my bass,and how, or should i buy a new one? I would like suggestions of basses or brands as i will eventually upgrade regardless of if i can fix this bass. I really really appreciate any help.=]
How is your EQ on the amp set? That has a huge part to do with your tone, as well as the tone settings on the bass and the EQ on the bass.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Have you changed your EQ? The settings on the bass? What amp are you using?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
ive researched EQ to learn what each knob does and played around with it for hours, but im still not happy. I have a small practice amp but i usually play thru my friends ashdown and it still just sounds mettallic and twangy
try rolling the tone knob back
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
thanks for all your help. about an hour ago i was at the local music store and i actually put a bass on layaway and im going to buy it tommorow=]
give me the srx bass and you'll be forgiven for your sins.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Humanity always looking to help others... and himself at the same time.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Dave, are you questioning salvation? he must believe unconditionally or he will be an unworthy vessel for the Great Ghost of Jaco.

you cruel servant of the Demon Wentz.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
calm down the humanity, lets not call anyone things they obviously aren't true. I was merely making a joke.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid