Page 1 of 2
What pickups could I put in my Les Special II to make it good for surf, rock and blues?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
None.

i know you wont like to hear this, but you should save up for a Fender Jag or similar.
I don't think I'll be able to, I'm buying a new amp, so I don't have much cash.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Sell the Les Paul Special II, theyre 'special' for a reason, similar to 'that special guy in class'.

+1 on the Fender Jag.
what amp are you buying?

you might not be able to afford another guitar at the moment, but in the long run not buying pickups for the Epiphone (which isn't very good in general to be honest) you'll be able to afford it sooner
Attempting to buy a Deluxe reverb.
Quote by chip46
well remember you could probably get a decent tone out of your Deluxe Reverb with the LP. Not brilliant, but passable until you get more money.
If anybody knows an amp that could do those well and be cheaper so I can afford a new guitar, anything from Vox or Peavey maybe? Could a Hot Rod Deluxe do those?
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Aug 6, 2008,
Where do you live? this effects price of things a lot.

You could split the money on the Deluxe reverb so you'd get a cheaper (but still quality) amp and a new guitar.

How much money do you have to spend.
I live in Virginia, and have about $600. I was looking at Valvetronix's, but heard they weren't good for surf?
Quote by chip46
How about some retrotrons from guitar fetish? Won't have to spend so much there.
Well Surf has a very cutting, bright tone so you could get something like a Fender Blues junior for about $450 and that leaves you $150 and you could get a Squier Telecaster or something, don't knock squiers by any means.
I'm looking for something I could gig with. I found a Hot Rod deluxe for $350. Is that good for surf,rock and blues?
Quote by chip46
Hmm, you could mic up the BJ. And anyways, for a 15w it's actually quite loud so it could handle small gigs.
What about the Hot Rod? Is the Blues Jr's reverb surfish, we might have a sale there if it is.
Quote by chip46
If you have enough money go for it. They're very good amps and the overdrive isn't as bad as everyone seems.
Last question: is the reverb in either the Blues Jr or the Hot Rod good for surf?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Last question: is the reverb in either the Blues Jr or the Hot Rod good for surf?

the majority of fender's have good reverbs. So you shouldn't worry

although a big massive +1 goes to the Delta Blues.
I'll probably check out the Blues Jr. Thanks, I thought the tweeds wouldn't have good reverb, but I guess they do.
Quote by chip46
Is the Fender 75 amp good for suf/rock/blues?
Quote by chip46
The HRD has good cleans and that's a great price. The reverb wouldn't be extremely nice, but it's good enough. If you can get your hands on a Deluxe Reverb, then that would be fantastic for surf and blues. I also think the HRD might be a bit better for surf than the Peavey, only b/c I prefer american voiced cleans for that type of music. If rock and blues are your main concerns, it may be better to go with a good all around amp like the Delta Blues. If surf is your main thing, I'd consider the Fenders.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Sorry Llamaking, I've been off: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/759570521.html .
Quote by chip46
its fine, i've been away too

anyways, i've never even heard of the Fender 75. An all tube Fender vintage tube amp... you might bite the bullet and go for that but i suggest you get some other opinions because i'm not very good with Fender Amps.
Someone on a site said the reverb was very Sixtiesish, and it was good for surf. BTW, I don't think I'll buy the Blues Jr., because it's reverb is Solid State.
Quote by chip46
I did. No one said the clean channel is bad, but the lead is apparently bad.
Quote by chip46
Well surf seems to be your favourite genre and that's all Clean. You could possibly buy something like a tubescreamer for an overdriven tone.
get a Fender SuperChamp XD.. beautiful cleans, I know first-hand. 15w all-tube
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
get a Fender SuperChamp XD.. beautiful cleans, I know first-hand. 15w all-tube

Yeah, but I can't gig with it.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Yeah, but I can't gig with it.

why can't you gig with it?
Because it's 15 watts.
Quote by chip46
No. Why?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
No. Why?

well then, why are you saying you cant gig with a 15 watt amp?
Because I've been told you can't.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Because I've been told you can't.

how big of gigs are you playing?
Well the band just started, but I wanted an amp I could use if things go well.
Quote by chip46
Page 1 of 2