Page 1 of 3
First of all hello to all of you out there, this is my first post on this forum =)

Alright, here's the scenario. I've been playing guitar for about 5-6 years now (electric and acoustic, also going to take up bass). The only equipment I have is a Yamaha Acoustic Electric guitar, a Vintage electric guitar and a Standard Fender Stratocaster. All of this along with a small Stagg Amp.

Now here's the question, what effect pedal should I buy? And do I need anything else another than an amp for the effect pedal to work?

I'm looking for an effect pedal with a delay and a loop, but also some other fun features. The choice is really between the Line6 Dl4 and the Boss DD-20. I don't want to spend a whole load of money, which is why I'm more interested in the DD-20. Without getting into a huge discussion over which effect pedal is better, can someone please help me out and tell me exactly what I need to set up my effect pedal and which one you guys prefer.

Like I said, I don't want a huge argument over which pedal is better, I just want your guys opinion on them and for someone to help me set it up.

Thanks a lot!
get a new amp first.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu
get a new amp first.

Hmm.. like I said I'm a bit strapped for cash =P How much would a decent amp cost me?
Quote by Binning
Hmm.. like I said I'm a bit strapped for cash =P How much would a decent amp cost me?

if got around 100 $ to spend get a 'hold flameshield' line 6 spider 15 watt.

Whats your budget you could probably afford a littlle 5 w tube

FACEBOOK
Quote by Binning
Scroll down and this will help

If you can afford yourself a really good pedal now, then go for it. If you can save up for an amp, even better. In an amp you want something that you'll love enough to keep forever, the tone is what you want, and the pedal is for variations.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by Hcmanu

Dont recommend him that! If you want an upgrade, you might as well make it worthwhile, not something you will later regret coz its a waste of money
Seriously line 6 would be perfect for you.

Versatile, lots of effect. Sound good for the price. CHEAP

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu

Well it's my parents that are buying me it for my exam results, but I would say around $380. The DD-20 is gonna cost me $320. I guess I could see about getting an amp...
However, the amp I have just now costs around $70 now that I look at websites. It's a Stagg CA-15 Amp.

I think I'd rather get the effect pedal first.
Quote by Binning
Well it's my parents that are buying me it for my exam results, but I would say around $380. The DD-20 is gonna cost me $320. I guess I could see about getting an amp...
However, the amp I have just now costs around $70 now that I look at websites. It's a Stagg CA-15 Amp.

seriously if u run a expensive pedal trough a ****y amp how are you gonna sound ? CHeap and cheesy

FACEBOOK
Quote by Binning

For that money you could actually get something ok amp-wise i think.
New amp dude... That little thing won't do you much good

What type of music do you play and will you ever be playing in a band environment?
Quote by Hcmanu
seriously if u run a expensive pedal trough a ****y amp how are you gonna sound ? CHeap and cheesy

I won't be doing any gigs though lol. I'd rather buy something new that I can have fun with before buying something that I already have.

Ok now I have three questions;

Which Effect pedal? (I'm swayed to the Line6 Dl4 now, even though it is more expensive)
Amp or Pedal first?
Do I need anything else to set one up?
Quote by Hcmanu

Which is how he'll sound with a Line 6 spider. That's terrible advice.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Binning
I won't be doing any gigs though lol. I'd rather buy something new that I can have fun with before buying something that I already have.

Ok now I have three questions;

Which Effect pedal? (I'm swayed to the Line6 Dl4 now, even though it is more expensive)
Amp or Pedal first?
Do I need anything else to set one up?

Amp first if possible (maybe ask for the money instead and save a bit more up)
You'll need yourself, some guitar cables and an amp for a pedal.
I think you should buy a Boss DD-3 which is about $100 yes? then you have more money to spend on an amp.

the DD-20 has looads of features the DD-3 doesn't have. But you're going to use all the features on the DD-3 and it's still going to sound ace. Putting that through a new (and possibly tube) amp will be much better than a overly expensize pedal with too much features into a cheap practice amp.
Quote by Hcmanu

Quote by Hcmanu

You just completely contradicted yourself
yeah. i think it's best to get a good little amp before focusig on effects. something like a fender champ 600, Gretsch electromatic or an Epiphone Valve Jr. just a little 5 watter will fill a room nicely. and you can crank 'em to get that sweet, natural, overdriven tube tone.

effects wise, i would suggest buying a second hand Crybaby. in my mind, they are THE peal to have. maybe not crybaby, perhaps Vox, morley or fender, but some kind of wah. i only say crybaby because they are sh*t cheap if you get them used and are really easy to mod. if you have a local guitar shop, start there. if not, check Ebay.
Quote by Hcmanu

Sounds good for the price is still not sounding good. There are many better options than getting a spider as your only amp (I have one so i know from experience)

TS, look into a good quality moddling amp if you want lots of effects but still have decent sound. Try a vox valvtronix or roland cube, they are miles above a spider.

Or look for a small used tube combo, and put a pedal in front of it. it will sound MUCH better.
Ok thanks for all the comments. Here's the new scenario.

Since its my first ever effect pedal I've realised theres no need to splash out all kinds of cash on a high-end one when really I don't need it. Also, judging by the comments on this forum, my amp wouldn't be able to support it.

So now I'm thinking, new Amp for around $100 and the Boss DD-3 for around $160.

Sound good?

Also, does the boss dd-3:

Loop?
Delay?
Have any other nice features?

Thanks.
Honestly, I wouldn't spend any of it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Honestly, I wouldn't spend any of it.

What do you mean?
I'm a fairly new player and spent $300 on a DL4 and power supply while still rocking my Crate GFX30. Huge mistake.
I don't see the point of wasting $260 on balls.

You won't find a decent amp for $100. I'd combine the two, and save up some more. Then buy a decent amp.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Hes saying thats stupid becuase you cant get an amp much better than the one you have for 100 bucks. Its not worth it to get an effects pedal if you are only going to screw around on it man... Just get a new Tube combo amp... WHAT kind of music do you play?
No, spend 140ish on a roland cube. Its got some built in effects, people always rush out and buy effects not knowing what theyll do with them. Play with the ones built in and decide what you like. Loopers are great but unless your spending $200ish your not getting a true looper. what good does 1.5 seconds of loop do?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by jambi_mantra
I don't see the point of wasting $260 on balls.

You won't find a decent amp for $100. I'd combine the two, and save up some more. Then buy a decent amp.

Hmm... the thing is they're more likely to spend more money on a present than give me money. Like they're probably likely to buy me something at $400 but I don't think they'd actually physically give me $400. I completely understand what you mean... if I'm going to buy something it might as well be good.

The problem is, I've been playing the guitar all this time and I want something more. I see artists like Howie Day looping their tracks over and over thinking, that sounds awesome I wish I could do that!

The thing with a new amp is, I'm not going to get anything new. Sure, it will be better, louder and sound much more professional, but it won't be anything new. An effect pedal, that's something I've never had before.
How about this. Spend $350 or less on a used Line 6 Flextone. Tons of models and effects and they actualyl sound good compared to Spiders and other modellers in the range (Cubes and Vox ADVTs).

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listID=104422512

Look, I found one for $279 and it will take a large dump on pretty much any modeller under $800.

Good day sir.
Quote by Binning
The thing with a new amp is, I'm not going to get anything new. Sure, it will be better, louder and sound much more professional, but it won't be anything new. An effect pedal, that's something I've never had before.

Jesus christ, dont be so fucking stupid
Quote by Highwaytohell
Hes saying thats stupid becuase you cant get an amp much better than the one you have for 100 bucks. Its not worth it to get an effects pedal if you are only going to screw around on it man... Just get a new Tube combo amp... WHAT kind of music do you play?

Mostly acoustic. Things like John Mayer's acoustic tracks, Howie Day (although his stuff is easy, it would sound good on a loop). I don't really go near my electric guitars but with an effects pedal I would start. I'm more centered around Acoustic music though (rock/alternate/acoustic).

The thing I'm most interested in is something that Loops and Delays, I'm not too bothered about all the fancy effects like Warping and stuff.
you ain't been in the loop for a while have you kid... Your basically saying... I want to buy something for the sake of buying something... That in my opinion, is quite wasteful. If you don't want good tone than go ahead and piddle your money on something you'll mess around with for a while and probably not even use in a year. If you do...
Quote by acdcrocks0323
How about this. Spend $350 or less on a used Line 6 Flextone. Tons of models and effects and they actualyl sound good compared to Spiders and other modellers in the range (Cubes and Vox ADVTs).

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listID=104422512

Look, I found one for $279 and it will take a large dump on pretty much any modeller under $800.

Good day sir.

$350? Are you kidding? Cheapest one I can get is around $480+

Quote by thellamaking
jesus christ

Be of less assistance?
Ok now you've just changed EVERYTHING!

Get a new electric acoustic guitar and run it through a damn acoustic amp...
Quote by Highwaytohell
you ain't been in the loop for a while have you kid... Your basically saying... I want to buy something for the sake of buying something... That in my opinion, is quite wasteful. If you don't want good tone than go ahead and piddle your money on something you'll mess around with for a while and probably not even use in a year. If you do...

Sorry, it's hard to read all the comments and reply to every single one of them! Mostly Acoustic music. If you want I can send you a few Youtube videos of looping to show you. And I don't want something for the sake of it, I've been looking at effect pedals for a while now and it was the first thing I thought of when my results came in. I understand what you guys are saying about all the other effect pedals, but it's not all the fancy effects that I'm interested in. It's just something that loops and delays.
If you loop with the current amp, it will sound terrible. The amount of fuzz and just poorness will make it pants. You'll probably more discouraged to play because of how bad it will sound.

Honestly, I just don't see the point in you spending any money now.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Highwaytohell
Ok now you've just changed EVERYTHING!

Get a new electric acoustic guitar and run it through a damn acoustic amp...

If it comes down to having to buy a new acoustic electric and an acoustic amp then I might just think about buying something else. I'm happy enough with the amp I've got and the guitar I have. It's not expensive but it does me fine.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Did you look at my link? MUCH cheaper than $350 AND they can ship to you for a small fee.

Sorry I didn't see that you edited your post, I've looked at it. It looks massive!
well, think about if you really need all the gear that you have. if you only want to play mostly acoustic stuff, sell most of your gear and get a good acoustic.
Quote by Binning

Be of less assistance?

You having a laugh?

i've been trying you help you for god's sake, trying to tell you that buying a pedal isn't the best thing to do when you've got a POS amp and trying to give you honest advice that'll make you sound better then you say you want an effect pedal because you've never had one before? Amp makes about 80% of your tone compare to about 10% that pedal make, and sure telling n00bs that you use pedals might make you sound cool. But when tone's concened, get a new fucking amp

have a nice day.
Page 1 of 3