I got a few more mic packs (cheap $20 ones) and thought I would compare some of the mics I have in an audio clip.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/twzy/Mic-Check-1

As you can hear, the more you spend the better sound quality you get.
Don't cheap out when it comes to mics

The only editing I did to the audio track was made volume changes to even out the levels a little.
Hey;

Good test. Big difference between the 57 and the cheapie. Good methodology.

One question I have is how far were you from the 57? I'm hearing proximity effect with the 57, suggesting you were fairly close to it.

I'm also curious as to what the MXL mic would sound like withOUT the pop filter and the same distance from the 57 - you know... just to make all things equal.

The MXL was more detailed, but less rich. I'm wondering if the richness heard in the 57 was a result of proximity effect, which would be made impossible by being farther away on the other side of the pop filter with the MXL.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I was up fairly close to the 57 so I'm sure there was some proximity effect heard.

I'll do another clip in a few days, (got other projects to finish first) staying an equal distance away from the 990 and 57 mics without any pop filters...I think 1 foot should be good.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 30, 2008,
Could be. For spoken word, often proximity effect is desirable. There also isn't near the dynamic range in spoken word as there is in singing, so you *can* get right on top of it.

You can still use the pop filter... just put it closer. :-)

I'd be interested in hearing how the MXL responds to proximity. Being a LDC, you might well be pleasantly surprised at what it gives you.

Alternately, as you say, when I'm tracking a lead vocal for a song, I'm back further from the mic. I often even do a couple of feet or a bit more, but that's only because I get quite loud on the high notes.

Either way... be an interesting comparison hearing the distance variable controlled for.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.