easiest way: get a 1/4 inch -> 1/8 inch converter and plug it into the mic port

otherwise you can get guitar -> USB cables, which may get you better audio quality or less hum (the onboard mic preamps on motherboards are poop)
audacity and plug guitar into your line-in port

it's not great but it does the job for the cost of an adaptor
Just use the Rockband mic...it's not the guitar itself plugged in, but you can record stuff with the mic straight onto the computer.
Personally, I've got everything set up through a mixer. If you're looking for a quick fix, this probably isn't the best/cheapest way to go for you... but if you wanna record later down the line, look into this setup.

Basically, I plug everything in to my mixer (guitar, mic, whatever else I need at the time). From there, I have a cable that's red/white rca on one end and a 1/8 plug on the other. RCA goes into the record out from my mixer, and 1/8" goes into my computer line in. Since my speakers are set up on my mixer, I get another of the same cable and run from computer line out to playback in on my mixer. It's a nifty board with nice features that keep the audio from looping. I love the set up, 'cause I can monitor right from my mixer with zero latency.

Or do what was already mentioned, and go 1/4" to 1/8". That's what I used to do. I'd say plug in to the line in though, not mic. Maybe it's just my computer, but I get very different sounds through the two ports.
Plugging into the mic or line-in port will only work decent if you have a higher end sound card with a built in amp. Think M-Audio or some of the better Creative cards. If using an integrated or cheap soundcard or chipset there will be almost no signal amplification. You won't be able to do much in the way of recording or playback on the computer speakers. Sometimes you can use the gain settings on the mic port to amplify the signal a little.

If using a cheap soundcard or chipset you'll also need a multiFX, a direct box, guitar port, pre-amp, or some other method of amplifying the signal before it gets to the computer. btw line-in works better than mic-in also.
Quote by SpeshulEddie
Or do what was already mentioned, and go 1/4" to 1/8". That's what I used to do. I'd say plug in to the line in though, not mic. Maybe it's just my computer, but I get very different sounds through the two ports.

I guess it depends on the sound card/motherboard

the mic port has a preamp which is more or less needed with guitar
The line input expects about 1V max and can often have a rather low input impedance for a guitar (only a couple of ten kiloohms)
at least for my computer

another option, if you have any old cheapo modeller pedal lying around (or something else with a headphone output), is to use the headphone output from that and plug that into the line in. Usually gives better results than going direct with the guitar.
Quote by GoldenTrees
how do you hook guitar up to the computer?

With an audio interface
you could run to your stock sound card but 99% of the time you get poor results and latency. Interfaces are cheap these days and can be had for around $100 at min. however the more you spend, the better quality you get.

Go to Riffs & Recordings for more info
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 6, 2008,
thanks seljer, i have a vox da5. could I do what you were talking about?

another option, if you have any old cheapo modeller pedal lying around (or something else with a headphone output), is to use the headphone output from that and plug that into the line in. Usually gives better results than going direct with the guitar.