I have a Strat. It plays well and has pretty low action. I made some adjustments to it YEARS ago and haven't touched them since - I'm super comfortable on it. I've played mostly blues and for that, I love how it plays.

I've recently been learning more progressive-style licks and solos, so I wanted to try out a few more modern guitars. I went into Rudy's (NYC) and played an Ibanez (~$600), and it was buttery and smooth. The strings may have been 9's (I use 10s), but the action was amazing. I then tried a BC Rich ($999, with 10s, maybe ASM Pro?), and it was even more amazing! For playing a faster, more progressive style it definitely makes a difference. I then played a couple Strats in the store (which played worse than mine) and they kinda of felt like a car without power steering!

Now, the difference wasn't enough to make me consider a new guitar but just wondering if there are some adjustments I can make to get some similar action? If not, what is it about those guitars that makes them play so well? The only thing I noticed is it seemed like the necks might have been a bit wider? (i.e. more space between each string)

I appreciate any input!

Thanks!
..lower the action?
you could get different strings, change the neck tension a bit
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by hell_monkey
..lower the action?
you could get different strings, change the neck tension a bit

I'm going to try to lower the action, but a couple of strings already buzz a little so I think it's pretty low! I put 5 springs on the tremelo (back in the day when I played with 12s/13s) - but now I play with 10s - should I put it back to 3 springs? I think my strings now are D'Addarios.
Quote by 5RV
Now, the difference wasn't enough to make me consider a new guitar but just wondering if there are some adjustments I can make to get some similar action? If not, what is it about those guitars that makes them play so well? The only thing I noticed is it seemed like the necks might have been a bit wider? (i.e. more space between each string)

Thanks!

It might be the neck radius. You play the blues, don't you, so you use a lot of bends, which is easier to do with something with a bigger neck radius, and I'm not sure, but they would have a bigger one compared to a Strat.

So I'm guessing that's why you found playing it more comfortable.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
It might be the neck radius. You play the blues, don't you, so you use a lot of bends, which is easier to do with something with a bigger neck radius, and I'm not sure, but they would have a bigger one compared to a Strat.

So I'm guessing that's why you found playing it more comfortable.

The necks did feel more "flat" - I guess that would be caused by the bigger radius. However, I wasn't playing blues-style when I was trying these axes out.
Last edited by 5RV at Aug 6, 2008,
I went back to the store today and played a LTD MH-250 (which played pretty damn nice for the price point) - I noticed what the difference is - the neck gets wider near the body so the strings are farther part. Makes it a little easier to play cleanly but also makes string skipping and little harder.
Last edited by 5RV at Oct 14, 2008,