How many of you when looking for a first bass have never picked up a guitar an instrument before? And how many of you aaren't really active and bands, and are classed as bedroom players mainly?

Because I want to start bass, (I have played instruments before, but not a guitar/bass?) but I don't think I would be in a band, I would think I would be a bedroom player...
I'm not in a band and I'd never played guitar before buying a bass.

It's definitely worth playing with other people though - I don't think starting playing with the intention of staying in your bedroom is the best plan. At least find some friends to jam with.
guitar never really interested me that much, i went straight into bass, and yeah i play bedroom mostly, looking to get sum guys together once im back at uni but yeah
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Second part of what smb said
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I played guitar for about 3 years before, picked up bass at the start of this year and have never looked back. And yes I'm in a band(2)
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Yeah. Don't make it certain to be a "bedroom player" Find people in your area to play with. I've jammed with dozens of people, but only have had 3 bands.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I messed around with a guitar a few times, but nothing serious at all. I couldn't play a damn thing. For me, buying my bass was a quick decision to change my life by giving me a new hobby. Yeah, I play by myself right now. I get better every day though, and maybe one day I'll form a small band just for fun.
Picked up bass 2 years ago, never played guitar. Yes, I'm in a band
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Well I did pickup a guitar before getting a bass, as in grabbing my friends guitar and strumming open strings while I was drunk, but if that doesn't count I picked up bass before guitar.

Currently I'm a bedroom player. I'm not in a band right now, though next semester at school I'll try to hook up with some people. If it weren't for me moving away I'd be in a band right now. An old friend of mine, who's in a band, saw me play bass and said if it weren't for the distance he'd replace their bassist by me in an instant.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
never could play guitar too well. bass is much cooler. you get basslines instead of repeated chords.

I know that's not all guitars do, but that is a good sized part of it.

anyways, I find guitarists who become bassists tend to be really good at picking up chord changes however, which helps a lot.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^Yeah, because basslines are never boring or repetitive.

The only answer is learn both. I started on bass, and now I enjoy guitar more. You're better off knowing how to play both in any case.
true. they can be boring. but even going root to fifth sounds more interesting than E chord to E chord.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I picked up the bass because, i was bored and drugs / booze were taking up all my free time. I never intended to play with other people but then i started. I have nothing against drugs / booze but everything in moderation, and i was quickly becoming an addict, as it was starting to effect other areas of my life.
It sucks, I'm stuck in my bedroom. Barely anyone I know is talented musically, and the ones that are hate the music I like.
Quote by the humanity
true. they can be boring. but even going root to fifth sounds more interesting than E chord to E chord.

Really, how many songs are there out there that consist of nothing but an E chord?
Quote by Bumper
Really, how many songs are there out there that consist of nothing but an E chord?

how many songs are E for 3 sec. then A, then E, then A...

HOLY COW! IT'S A B!

I would hate that.

props if you are willing though.

3 cheers for the Bump.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I never wanted to play guitar, sure when I was younger I liked the twangy sounds and guitar solos and such, and still do, but never wanted to play them, I dont really know why, maybe it's because everyone I knew seemed to play it,so I wanted a bass, then a guy I knew got a bass just becuase I wanted one...jerk...so I bought drums, after a couple of months however,it became clear it wasn't my thing, so traded them in for bass and amp and such, which sat in my room for a month before I had the balls to start playing...since then Ive gone from primarily a bedroom player to primarily a band player,as since Ive moved to my dads both my amps have been stuck at my drummers, only just got my practice one back,meaning I can practice plugged in at home, yayness

eurgh,long post
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by the humanity
how many songs are E for 3 sec. then A, then E, then A...

HOLY COW! IT'S A B!

I would hate that.

props if you are willing though.

3 cheers for the Bump.

Man, it's just that there are always going to be easy songs. Some songs have easy guitar parts and difficult basslines, more often than not it's the other way around. Whatever instrument you're playing doesn't decide how difficult it's going to be, you do. You want to play some hard stuff, then play it. If you're content with E and A for 15 bars and then a B chord for one, then that's your prerogative.
^ True

I play bass because I like the feel and the low end much more than screaming shreds! (And I like being different everyone else.)
No, I have never even touched a guitar! I started out as a drummer and then switched to bass because there were too many drummers and not enough bass players in my area and I wanted to be in a band. I'm sure I would suck complete b@ll$ if i tryed to play one though. How the fvck would I remember all of those chord positions? And like a few said before bass always sounds cool and interesting while guitar pretty much sounds generic and repeatative.
I actually started playing because our church's youth band needed a bassist, and my family had an old bass amp. I had messed around a little on an old Peavey guitar with a missing high E, but nothing major. I think I would have picked bass anyway, though...I like the feel of it better, the role, and the ability to use more than one tone in any given style of music.
Nope, no sig here.
I've been playing bass in bands since I was 16. When I started learning bass I had never picked up a guitar or bass - I chose bass because that low end seemed so much better. I have now started learning guitar and I am happy to say I am not a failed guitarist because I never played guitar in the first place! I enjoy playing guitar but I think I will always be primarily a bassist.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
technically I played guitar before bass. I was given a guitar for chrismas one year but didnt play it.. then a couple years later i decided i wanted to play bass but all i had was a guitar. So for 6 months i literally practiced basslines at home on my guitar and only got to play bass when jamming at my friends house, whose dad had a bass.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
I picked up bass without ever touching any instrument before. I usually am a bedroom player, but me and some of my friends get together and jam sometimes. Me and one of my friends are looking to start a band, but I've never been in one.
i started playing guitar and i was getting along ok was getting lessons and then a string broke and i thought to myself oh no!(sadface) so afterthat i thought well now what.... so i picked up my sister bass guitar that she never played cause she lost interest and i preferd it to guitar i felt more natural with a bass and soon it became my friend i get lessons and a year later still going strong...im a bedroom bassist as i dont like playing infront of people however i will occasionally jam with some friends .