Akercocke blend cleans and full out death metal, and for a while black metal well, and are only getting better at it. Gojira are unique. Oh, I don't know.

Opeth do the 10 minute compositions, blending a lot of genres. Meshuggah do polymetrics. Dream Theater do long songs and virtuosity.

There are so many definitions for 'progressive' that this will be a long, argumentative thread
Bands getting progressively better?

Death got progressively better, Immortal never went bad, Opeth the same, and as webbeh said Akercocke are blisteringly death metal/black metal and they inject progressive stuff/acoustics/electronica into their music. I'm glad Jason left metal for a few years and listened to nothing but electronica .

Goredit: I thought this was for bands that got progressively better...but, if it is for progressive metal...uhh, Dream Theater and Opeth are definitely the two popular juggernaughts of the prog. metal scene, with Akercocke and Tyr being the lesser known ones.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Aug 6, 2008,
Kekal went from Christian Black Metal to Extreme Prog to Ambeint electro-rock.
Ulver went from kvlt-folk/black to electronic/ambient
Alcest went from lo-fi Bm to dreampop
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Bands getting progressively better?

Death got progressively better, Immortal never went bad, Opeth the same, and as webbeh said Akercocke are blisteringly death metal/black metal and they inject progressive stuff/acoustics/electronica into their music. I'm glad Jason left metal for a few years and listened to nothing but electronica .

Goredit: I thought this was for bands that got progressively better...but, if it is for progressive metal...uhh, Dream Theater and Opeth are definitely the two popular juggernaughts of the prog. metal scene, with Akercocke and Tyr being the lesser known ones.

Listen to this man.
I think its kind of a matter of preference. In my opinion it would be Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Meshuggah, and I hope Necrophagist and Beneath the Massacre for future releases.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
imo Cynic was the most progressive band because the 1 album they put out was so ahead of its time, and still nothing has come close to Focus
Quote by Wylde14
obviously if you own an expensive guitar, 500 watt amp, and power tab, you are an unstoppable force of shred
'most progressive' doesn't make sense, progressive is a general description, not a scale from 1-10.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.