Page 1 of 2
Ok, who here slaps like textbook style (As everyone says you should) Or who does what they feel comfortable with?

I actually do this weird thing. I litterally slap the string, liek my girlfriend. Im alot slower going to pop, but its comfortable for me, and I can do it loudly. Any one else do it like this?
Quote by derekwalden_-33
I litterally slap the string, liek my girlfriend.

Do you wear a wife beater shirt while doing that?
Last edited by corndogggy at Aug 6, 2008,
You'd be much better off with a better thumb technique - much more controlled and faster.
If it's a serious question, then yeah I do it differently... I relax my thumb and whiplash it. Most people keep their thumb extremely stiff. I started on an acoustic playing rhythm so I pull my thumb back and make a rhythm strum motion, but at the end of the "strum", my thumb whiplashes forward and hits the string. Doing it "textbook style" seems so mechanical and unnatural to me.
Quote by derekwalden_-33
I could never get that down.
Then you need practice. Honestly, it's worth it.
Check out youtube for lessons, there's alot of slapping stuff there.
i do it open handed like flea (still with thumb obviously) rather than the 'textbook' technique
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
I thump with my entire hand completely rigid.

and I sometimes will pop with both my fore and middle finger at the same time.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I use a fairly textbook technique these days, I used to play more like flea but I value control of power these days.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
i've tried to get into it, but playing it comfortably is somewhat inefficient, and playing "properly" leaves my thumb way too stiff. Not to mention, a lot of time i hear slap bass and it just sounds like mud.

Now i'm not hating on people with good slap technique or who like slap, but its just not my thing. I saw return to forever last night, and Stanley Clarke was amazing...however, he started machine-gun slapping. He really should have just sat down and played a drum solo. Like i'm serious, complete mud. I respect him as a player, as a composer, and all around musician. I think he's ridiculously talented and stuff, but...

...completely muddy slap bass solo.
i slap flea style but my bass teacher said the textbook style is more 'economical', you'll loose less stamina or something doing textbook style

i think how low you want to have your bass when you stand up
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I can't do the textbook slap, and it makes me sad, so I play more like Flea,and yep,my slap technique is pretty rubbish, I dont have enough control and stuff,meaning I cant play the fast slap licks I love

In my defense I have no hand-eye co-ordination,lol, but yeah,I keep trying to do the proper technique,maybe I'll get it one day,though for now Im concentrating on my finger playing,left hand technique and learning with a pick,which I find IMPOSSIBLE
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
lol yeah i cant pick for **** aswell

but theres nothing wrong with slapping like flea, i mean he could slap fast aswell

just keep working on it (Y)
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
lol yeah i cant pick for **** aswell

but theres nothing wrong with slapping like flea, i mean he could slap fast aswell

just keep working on it (Y)

Yeah I will, but since slap is something I do in my own time, that doesn't really fit in with my band,Im concentrating on my other techniques atm, at home though I slap all the time, just badly

and yeah Flea plays fast, but my stamina is crap, and only got worse this year with glandular fever deciding to eat all my muscle,even though it wasnt enough to cover a small rivita...slowly building back up though
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I do it open handed as well, I feel retarded doing with a fist-like thingo happening..
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

yeah same here i cant pop properly with the fist aaction
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I am no slap genius by any definition, but I tend to do it textbook style. It helps to maintains stamina and make a more efficient and faster transition to the pop. Also if you mix the style up with funk fingerstyle or flamenco style strumming, its easier to transition from one style to the other if your hand is not as open or stiff. Your thumb should be loose like a drummer holds a drum stick; you get a nice percussive sound that way.
I'm confused by this "textbook" slap technique.

Can someone explain it to me?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think they mean the thumb parallel to the strings thing.

Rather than what?

Because I've never seen anyone slap in any other way. Flea, Mark King, Marcus Miller, Wooten, all of them slap with the thumb parallel to the string...

As an edit, I think I should make this clear - No one slaps with their thumb perfectly parallel to the string (Apart from Les Claypool, who's a weirdo). Some bend it back, like Mark King, or Stuart Zender, or Wooten, and some bend it forward, like Flea.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Last edited by Nutter_101 at Aug 7, 2008,
Yes he does..I'd find a video, but I am off to work. Someone else can post up for me.
Quote by anarkee
This way. With the thumb parallel and the hand cupped.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_SreKsg2k

That is the oddest slap technique I've ever seen.

For example, look at Mark King in this video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yioVmqlt2Fk

That is my slap technique, or mine is a lot closer to that.

That Larry Graham style seems incredibly inefficient if you ask me.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Absolutely. Provides more speed overall for me.

In fact, watching Larry Graham's style - it seems most similar to Flea's out of everyone I've watched.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

yeah, Delirium knows what he's talking about here.

I rarely slap, as I grew up on generic alt rock and excessive slap style doesn't really please my ears even as I've broadened out into a much much wider variety of music. When I do binge on little octave riffs, slaughtering this technique, I go "textbook" but the speed thing is a moot point for me anyway, as somehow my doublethump instantly disapears with my thumb refusing to catch strings on the upward movement whenever I try to add any speed at all.

I don't know how anyone can hook their thumb enough to really pronounce the upward stroke and still move quickly enough to pull off the over the top a-musical mess that gets everyone in the crowd going "OMG L33t slappin!" Maybe I'll have to dedicate August to slap practice.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Flea plays with his thumb down like in this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vB-BTBCZvHI

Larry Graham and Mark King seem to have a very similar style from what I can see but Graham and Flea seem very different.

The way I see it, Flea and Graham both have a fairly open hand style. They attack with quite a bit of agression (from Tams video).

Mark King's hand is just a fist with his thumb sticking out, very closed.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I also don't see how thumb position will make all that much of a huge difference compared to hand position and where your arm is to be honest.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

i slap open handed like flea and larry graham but with my hand almost totally relaxed and my thumb at a 45 degree down angle to the strings.

i find playing open handed much better for me than closed handed becaus with the open handed technique i can alternate my popping between my index, middle and sometimes ring fingers.

i totally agree with chris i don't see how thumb position makes all that much difference as long as you're hitting only the strings you want to hit.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by skater dan0
i slap open handed like flea and larry graham but with my hand almost totally relaxed and my thumb at a 45 degree down angle to the strings.

i find playing open handed much better for me than closed handed becaus with the open handed technique i can alternate my popping between my index, middle and sometimes ring fingers.

i totally agree with chris i don't see how thumb position makes all that much difference as long as you're hitting only the strings you want to hit.

With your thumb completely down, it makes it trickier to do quick alternates between slaps and pops, while with the thumb more parallel, it has a smoother transition, giving you a bit more efficiency.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Page 1 of 2