Page 1 of 2
I recently visited some guitar shops and was recommended some guitars; my budget being under £200 ($400).

The guitars were:
Ibanez GRG170DX (£179.95)
Ibanez GSA60 (£159.95)
Yamaha Pacifica 112 (159.95)

I wanted to know which guitar the UG community would pick; myself finding that all the guitars were pretty solid and sounded well, I needed some help.

Thanks in advance,
Shb

EDIT: I heard the Ibanez's go out of tune quickly for some reason (whammy bar), is this true?
Last edited by Shb at Aug 6, 2008,
buy the les paul. /
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Pacifica. It's a great guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Shb
EDIT: I heard the Ibanez's go out of tune quickly for some reason (whammy bar), is this true?

If you have a bad tremolo then yes, it will go out of tune. Throw on a Floyd Rose and you're good to go.
Quote by Shb
How much do Floyd Rose's usually cost?

Depends on the music store since they also usually charge for installing it. Most guitars with a Floyd Rose are manufactured with it.
Quote by pwrmax
Throw on a Floyd Rose and you're good to go.

not necessarily. ibanez bridges arent all bad, if its set up properly u shouldnt have a problem.

in my opinion, the extra tuning stability of a proper floyd rose makes a HUGE difference, but its a bit of extra hassle with the locking nut etc so i personally could do without it.

so like i said just make sure its set up properly, and dont settle on something til youve tested it to its limits
hmmm

it depends on your style

personally id go for the ibanez GRG

only coz iv played one before
i'd go for the pacifica 112v, it's a nice guitar. If you can stretch a bit more (to £240), machinehead is blowing out washburn wi65pro idols for £239 (including delivery), if they have any left, that's what i'd go with in your situation.

i wouldn't bother with a floyd at your budget, it's liable to suck.

EDIT: do you already have an amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't have an amp and atm it seems the Yamaha and the GRG are the best options. Which one is better out of the two?
I would say the Yahama, low end Ibanezs are a bit of a let down. On the other hand, the Yamaha rocks! It isn't made of basswood, which is good, because cheap basswood isn't too good. The expensive cuts of basswood sound decent though.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
The GRG, I have it and it is the best, in guitar class people wanted to use my guitar over ther Fender Strats.
Quote by Shb
I don't have an amp and atm it seems the Yamaha and the GRG are the best options. Which one is better out of the two?

i'd have thought the yamaha. but obviously try both and see which you prefer.

for the amp, i'd probably consider a roland microcube. you realise you need an amp, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The guy in the store recommended me an amp called a Marshal MG15CD £59.95, is that OK?

Also, as I know the names of the guitars, should I order online, because I have seen them selling for much lower prices?
I have no experience of the CRG so can't comment on it, but I have the Pacifica and it's stunning value, great sound, very easy to play, I really can't fault it. I got mine for £139.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
The MG series of Marshalls are mostly trash. As a starter amp it's ok, but you will be replacing it a few months down the line when you realise it sounds like tin cans
Quote by Shb
The guy in the store recommended me an amp called a Marshal MG15CD £59.95, is that OK?

Also, as I know the names of the guitars, should I order online, because I have seen them selling for much lower prices?

No. It isn't alright.
Get the roland microcube. At 120$ it should be 60 ish pounds?
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Only an assumption as he listed prices in sterling, but I think Rondo is a wee bit far away to be buying from
Quote by bloodycomfort
www.rondomusic.com, save money for quality instruments.

I dont believe they ship to uk yet do they?

Anyway, TS go for the pacifica, ive only ever played the RG350 ibanez, and I wasnt impressed, so I wouldnt like to think where the low end ibanezes leave you. But the pacifica is absolutely spot on, great fast thin neck, reasonable stock pickups, great value for money, my friend picked the 012 up, even that is absoloutely superb.
Quote by JackalUK
Only an assumption as he listed prices in sterling, but I think Rondo is a wee bit far away to be buying from

Oh yeah, good thinking. They ship to U.S, P.R, Canada, and Western Europe if anybody was wondering.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Sorry, I don't know their pricings =( Still, NO MG

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

So the general concession is that the Yamaha is the better guitar out of the two and I should order it online?
If possible buy from a shop having tested to see if you like it. If that is not an option then yea, what you said

PLUS NO MG!!!
I read the review on the roland and it looks excellent.

Also, I was reading the UG reviews on the Ibanez compared to the Yamaha, and the Ibanez came up on top with 8.7 to Yamaha's 8.3

Despite this, do you still think the Yamaha is the better guitar?

Thanks in advance,
Shb
^ don't worry about reviews, half (at least) of the people writing reviews are newbies like yourself, or idiots (or both). unless the reviews are saying that something broke, and it's a recurrent theme, when it comes to quality of tone etc., it's subjective (not to mention, people can just be wrong, or maybe just haven't tried anything which is any better).

look at the reviews for marshall mgs. they get good ratings, but the're absolutely terrible.

Quote by Shb

no, mgs are crap. get a microcube.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go with the Pacifica based on one thing: Dave MC said so. I have a roland micro cube and it is excellent.

But what country are you from?
What genre are you looking for?

Edit: Dave also said the Microcube. I'd get that. I love mine, seems to have been the best choice out of the smaller amps.

^ haha, wow thanks! things aren't right because i say so, though, i've been wrong before (and probably will be again ). the vox da5 might be worth a look too, but i haven't tried it, and it might be slightly more expensive than the roland.

oh, you can buy online if you wish. what i'd try, first, though is bring the online price to your local store to see if they'll match it. also remember that some online stores charge quite a lot of postage- there's no point in saving £10 on the price of the item if they charge £10 postage, for example. if your local shop gets even close to the online price, i'd buy there, as it's easier to return if something goes wrong, and also if you're a beginner, you may need some help e.g. with restringing etc. If you've bought there, they're liable to be much more willing to help you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ haha, wow thanks! things aren't right because i say so, though, i've been wrong before (and probably will be again ).

Everything you've ever told me has been true. I fully trust you.

that's more than i trust myself

But all the same, that's a very nice thing to say.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the information, but I have one question, why is the Yamaha preferred over the Ibanez? - as of yet, no one has given me any reasons.

Thanks for the help
For one, that Ibanez has a floyd rose. You probably aren't gonna want one of those when you first start out. I had one, and it was a pain =( Plus it isn't gonna have a good one, so It will probably go out of tune often, which is the case with most people. The HSS of the Pacifica, or at least the ones I've looked at, are HSS so you will have more versatility. However, I have not played either so my opinion is nothing more than a repeat of what others have said.

What genre are you playing? What country you from?

I play different genres and I am looking for an all-rounder. I am from England.
My suggestion:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112_blk.htm

But if you can
http://www.thomann.de/gb/schecter_omen_6_eb.htm maybe? I like those.

and

http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_micro_cube.htm

I'd say the schecter omen 6 would be your best bet, but thats just me. It is a lil bit more, But I think it would be worth it in the long run.

Quote by Pinky19
My suggestion:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112_blk.htm

But if you can
http://www.thomann.de/gb/schecter_omen_6_eb.htm maybe? I like those.

and

http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_micro_cube.htm

I'd say the schecter omen 6 would be your best bet, but thats just me. It is a lil bit more, But I think it would be worth it in the long run.

I agree. You aren't going to get much for about 200 pounds.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I was searching online and the shop price of £159.95 for the Yamaha is actually very reasonable.

I am considering to buy the Roland Micro Cube online, although I might see if the store is selling it. How much is the average price for one?

One other thing, I searched up the Ibanez and I think I can get it for £150 - less than the Yamaha. Your earlier post talked about the Floyd Rose; I do not think I am going to use the whammy bar that much to be honest and I might unscrew it.

Considering all of this, do you think the Yamaha is still better than the Ibanez?

Thanks for the help,
Shb
Page 1 of 2