Ok im pretty good with power chords (e5 etc) and i was woundering how to mute

what fingers do what, what are the techniques to muting. My friends and i are starting a band soon and i dont want to tell them we cant play this song because it requires mutes.

Btw by muting i mean this:

xxxxxxxx

I put my fingers on all 3 strings, then i hit the 3 and 5, not the x, but i still get a stupid sound, so do i have to hit it softly, hard? plz help
Play it as a powerchord normally, and with the finger on the "x note" only touch lightly on the string.
the way i play these is to use the first and third fingers... rest the underside of your first finger on the muted string and strum away
OMG!! its really that simple, i feel so stupid, why didnt i think of it as a power chord..

ILY xD thank you so much
Rest your first finger from the 3 on the string below it.

Also for playing power chord on the A string I rest my middle finger on the E string to mute it.
ive just developed a way to mute all the other strings naturally...find a personal preference, i started muting with my pinky and my guitar teacher said he hadnt thought of doin that and thought it was kind of cool.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by usedillusions
the way i play these is to use the first and third fingers... rest the underside of your first finger on the muted string and strum away

I do it this way also but i've seen some people use there middle finger and lightly rest it on top of the middle string you want muted. Its all what feels good to you!
I fret the 3 with my index finger and also mute all the other strings with it at the same time. then finger the 5 with my ring finger, while double muting the string in between with my middle finger, just in case my index finger slips up.
Also, it's a lot easier to mute a string from the side, rather than taking the control to lightly touch it. That's just me though.
just use your first fing or thumb to mute
any other fingers are just harder to use and make sure to also rest the first finger on all other strings to mute them also