I need help learning blues. I'm not huge with theory, but have been working on it for a while with lessons. I like SRV but mostly his covers of Hendrix songs. I'm not a huge fan of Hendrix nor do I like his songs all too well, but he knew something about blues so I have to give him credit for that.

I like John Mayer and Clapton. I like BB King but there's just something different about how they play the blues that I just don't like. It's similar to why I like SRV's cover of little wing but not really Hendrix.

What do I do now?
Put on the CD and play with them. Blues is a phrasing thing. If you can't phrase properly you won't be playing the blues.

And, have the blues in life too...
Buy a bottle of JD, think as hard as you can about lost relationships, then saddle-up, and let the heartache flow.
Your Signature:
Quote by justinrobbins7
Buy a bottle of JD, think as hard as you can about lost relationships, then saddle-up, and let the heartache flow.

thats the way to do it man
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Go to the crossroads, there you will find the answers and there you will learn the blues...

Kidding, I hope.

Anyway, +1 to phrasing and listening to the blues. Just remember the jazz artists like miles davis, lester young and some rock artist are just as good as examples of the blues as anything else.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Never cared much for hendrix's style myself.

Anyway you like SRV, Clapton, BB King, John Mayer. Figure out what you like and what you don't like about each player. Learn and practice the **** out of the stuff you like, and avoid the stuff you don't.

And might I suggest some ZZ Top? If you can find any fault in Gibbons playing then you need to have your head examined

But basically take all the stuff you learn, and practice it over a simple 12 bar blues backtrack. It's really the best way to learn and develop your own style.
You cant learn the blues, it comes from the soul, you can learn the scales but to truly play the blues you have to feel it.
larry carlton has a blues album..."sapphire blue"...his approach is electric...smooth ... with enough crunch thrown in to make it intresting...

concentrate on the progressions and how carlton plays off them...

one of the best players ever...give a listen

wolf
Quote by confusius
Put on the CD and play with them. Blues is a phrasing thing. If you can't phrase properly you won't be playing the blues.

And, have the blues in life too...

phrasing is a music thing and is important to all styles. Not trying to be a jerk, its just you make it to sound like phrasing is more important to blues than other styles.

TS:

listen to blues
learn blues songs
learn blues solos
if you have a theory background..... study the blues.

get your ears on it, get your fingers on it, get your mind on it

then...... play the blues
shred is gaudy music
We both know I didn't mean that, but if you don't phrase in the way blues guitarists are phrasing your blues is going to be lacking a lot. Blues is a lot about the call and response, the rests, the bursts of notes, the bends. If you're lacking the special phrasing no matter how much you play the blues scale you are only going to be reminiscent of BB King and are going to sound artificial.
Quote by confusius
We both know I didn't mean that, but if you don't phrase in the way blues guitarists are phrasing your blues is going to be lacking a lot. Blues is a lot about the call and response, the rests, the bursts of notes, the bends. If you're lacking the special phrasing no matter how much you play the blues scale you are only going to be reminiscent of BB King and are going to sound artificial.

If I knew you didnt meant that I wouldnt have bothered replying. I can only assume you meant what you wrote. I see now that you were implying that the TS should focus on the phrasing aspect of the blues. I agree with you.

Learning some BB king,or the music of any other great blues artist is a good way to learn about all aspects of blues playing, from the phrasing, to the form & types of scales/chords used. Its a style issue. immerse yourself in the style, and all questions regarding that style will be answered.

Quote by DeadMeadow
You cant learn the blues, it comes from the soul, you can learn the scales but to truly play the blues you have to feel it.

Aspects of a particular style can be taught and learned.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by DeadMeadow

Good, original blues can't be learned, its a talent, and perhaps an innate ability. However, imitating other blues artists and their styles can be learned, and if you posess a shred of this talent and innate ability imitation will help you develop it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Good, original blues can't be learned, its a talent, and perhaps an innate ability. However, imitating other blues artists and their styles can be learned, and if you posess a shred of this talent and innate ability imitation will help you develop it.

Well if he wants to imitate then he can do that.
Quote by GuitarMunky
If I knew you didnt meant that I wouldnt have bothered replying. I can only assume you meant what you wrote. I see now that you were implying that the TS should focus on the phrasing aspect of the blues. I agree with you.

Learning some BB king,or the music of any other great blues artist is a good way to learn about all aspects of blues playing, from the phrasing, to the form & types of scales/chords used. Its a style issue. immerse yourself in the style, and all questions regarding that style will be answered.

Aspects of a particular style can be taught and learned.

The aspects but the feeling and ability to play blues on your own is within inside the person playing.
Quote by tubetime86
Good, original blues can't be learned, its a talent, and perhaps an innate ability.

that goes for any style of music or art in general. (not blues music alone)

What's taught are characteristics of a particular style that a person can learn and expand upon if they choose.

Quote by DeadMeadow
The aspects but the feeling and ability to play blues on your own is within inside the person playing.

yes Of-course, the expression comes from the individual artist, but that doesn't mean you can't learn about a particular style. There are defining aspects of blues (and any style) which transcend the individual expression. Learning those can help a person understand that style. Learning and playing actual pieces can help a person understand what it "feels" like to play in that style. Both approaches (studying + actually listening to and learning the music) can give a player something to work with as they develop their own style. Something to "cut your teeth" on so to speak.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 7, 2008,
I love all these Hendrix haters. Heck I used to be one... Then I really delved into what he was playing, and how he was playing it. He was nothing short of a mastermind on the axe. Not sure how you could like some of the folks you listed and not care for Jimi.