The only full song with a solo I learned was

Lip Gloss and Black - Atreyu

I can play a lot of songs minus their solos such as

Welcome Home - Coheed and Cambria
Chapter Four - Avenged Sevenfold
Bat country - Avenged Sevenfold
Hand of Blood - Bullet For My Valentine
Tears Don't Fall - Bullet For My Valentine

Then I can play a lot of songs that are mainly chords.
Like anything by Blink-182

So my question is.
What are some songs that use mostly single notes and not so much on the power chords?

I like to mostly play metal and hard rock.

I'm asking stuff similar to Protest the Heros song's but much easier.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
darkest hour has some sick ****, and lamb of god but maybe too metal for you.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Honestly, half of the metalcore genre and any band that love tremelo picking (i.e. Cannibal Corpse), but tremelo picking requires a pretty fast picking hand. Just search through all of the metalcore/screamo music that no doubt fills your musical library, and you'll find plenty.

EDIT: get better music >.>
Last edited by Athetosis at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by Athetosis
Cannibal Corpse

Epic Fail. Cannibal Corpse is easy for death metal but in terms of general guitar skill it's bloody difficult, I highly doubt that the TS can play even their simpler songs.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm not very good. But I'm working on it.

I'm trying to learn songs that use mostly single notes so I can get better and play solos.
hallowed be thy name by iron maiden
He came, He played guitar, he kicked some ass Dimebag Darrell 1966 to 2004
yyz by rush

I don't know if you like that kind of music but there is some pretty fun/fast single notes in it.
I like Rush a lot.
I listen to almost every type of rock

I'll play anything from
Aerosmith to Opeth.
redemption song by bob marley.

it's not metal but it's all single notes, and is good practice. maybe you can make it into your own metal version.
Quote by mikemangone
So my question is.
What are some songs that use mostly single notes and not so much on the power chords?

Check out DRAGONFORCE's stuff. They stated that they dont just play chords on their verses.
Quote by mikemangone
I'm not very good. But I'm working on it.

I'm trying to learn songs that use mostly single notes so I can get better and play solos.

Time stop and learn some chords then - chordwork is the bread and butter of a guitarist's trade, if you negelct them then you're severely limiting your development as a player, not to mention your usefulness.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Okay, first... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846398. You need to go there and look around.

Second, saying what you can play after __ months is something Ug looks down upon.

If you can play those songs after only 2 months, then you probably skipped over a lot of the basics, and/or developed some bad habbits. You need to make sure you have everything down before you move on.
Well I just named those songs so people would kindof have an idea of what i can play.

And I skipped learning a lot of chords because im taking guitar class at school for an hour and a half everyday,

So I figured I would put my time into chords and scales then.
Quote by camotehead
Check out DRAGONFORCE's stuff. They stated that they dont just play chords on their verses.

Their guitars are pretty simple and boring (solos excluded, but they usually sound like a rapid blur of mush anyway, just major scales played at LIGHTNING SPEED), and they won't do much for the TS other than picking hand stamina.

If you're looking at some "single note" songs, try looking at Metallica and Slayer music, start off with Metallica first though, Master Of Puppets is the general answer for building stamina and chunkier rhythm work, then if you want, move onto Trivium and such (their older stuff has some decent riffs, I don't even listen to them anymore but I remember quite a few fast riffs) then when you feel you're ready, you can move onto some harder rhythm work like Slayer then you should be good enough to move on to most types of metal (maybe not death or black metal though, those can get hard)

Oh, and Constant Motion by Dream Theater should provide a large challenge for you.

Oh wait, you've only been playing 2 months, but you'll get there.
Certain classic rock bands do a lot of single-note stuff, and it's fun stuff to play. Deep Purple is really good for beginner-intermediate stuff, and a good deal of it is single-note playing. As you get better, you can take on a couple of the solos, and their harder solos are good for intermediate-expert skill level.

Heck, I progressed pretty far on Deep Purple alone, and since it sounds like you want to get your general skill level up now and work on specific techniques later, they'd work perfectly.

Also, I was just suggesting Cannibal Corpse as an example of tremelo picking (only thing that came to mind for that). In no way did I mean the OP should try them; I was suggesting the technique for building picking hand speed.
Quote by Athetosis
Also, I was just suggesting Cannibal Corpse as an example of tremelo picking (only thing that came to mind for that). In no way did I mean the OP should try them; I was suggesting the technique for building picking hand speed.

I'd recommend some easier stuff like Slayer and Gojira rather than CC; that's jumping in at the deep end somewhat.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Athetosis
Certain classic rock bands do a lot of single-note stuff, and it's fun stuff to play. Deep Purple is really good for beginner-intermediate stuff, and a good deal of it is single-note playing. As you get better, you can take on a couple of the solos, and their harder solos are good for intermediate-expert skill level.

Heck, I progressed pretty far on Deep Purple alone, and since it sounds like you want to get your general skill level up now and work on specific techniques later, they'd work perfectly.

It's still heavily dependent on an underlying chord structure though...chords=most important thing to learn on the guitar

Tremolo picking is pretty useless outside of tremolo picking itself - it doesn't help you with your picking speed at all, it's a specific tecjnique and it has limited use.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com