Page 1 of 2
Alright, so here's the deal. I'm going to college in 24 days, and i need to purchase a smallish bass amp...i can't be lugging around my SWR Workingman 15. So, my budget is around 400 dollars, preferably lower, for a small, but good sounding combo, with a good slap and finger-style tone. Help me please wise bass lords.
Too cool for a signature.
Last edited by chrisatgrace at Aug 6, 2008,
You have called upon the Bass G-ds.

And they shall answer.

Although I'm not one of them.

Anyways the...

Ashdown Electric Blue 180

And the...

Acoustic B200 200W

Are both two very nice options in your price range.

EDIT: On second thought, are you looking for a really good practice amp that's portable or something that's giggable and portable?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
You have called upon the Bass G-ds.

And they shall answer.

Although I'm not one of them.

Anyways the...

Ashdown Electric Blue 180

And the...

Acoustic B200 200W

Are both two very nice options in your price range.

EDIT: On second thought, are you looking for a really good practice amp that's portable or something that's giggable and portable?

a really good practice amp...i have a giggable one that i can't fit. thanks man.
Ah, well if you're into the fooling around type of thing.

Then Fender may be a nice option. I can't comment on the actual amp, but it seems to have a lot of features.

Also, do you have effects that you plan on taking to college or are you looking into getting a pedalboard?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
Ah, well if you're into the fooling around type of thing.

Then Fender may be a nice option. I can't comment on the actual amp, but it seems to have a lot of features.

Also, do you have effects that you plan on taking to college or are you looking into getting a pedalboard?

yeah, i have effects galore. actually i was looking at the bassman ten incher. anyone have any comments?
Im taking a crappy 50 watt rogue to college in 15 days.

ability to do the job I need over quality and quantity of the money I spend, is what I'm doing for this one.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Get anything with a headphone jack. If that ashdown electric blue has one, get that. It's a mighty fine amp, especially in a college situation. I play my bass out of my Champ 600 when I'm at school, it's small but it sounds fine. I'm gonna blow the speaker one day, but I never liked it much to begin with, so I don't mind.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
well, i already have a 180 watt SWR i just need something little.

SMB: i definately can't fit a 4X10. I have two roommates in a 2 person dorm.

roshjosh: aren't orange amps pretty expensive? they are as i recall.

sid McCall: the ashdown is unfortunately very similar in size to my current amp...to large

thanks guys, any more suggestions?
I would suggest one of the smaller ashdown combos. From experience They've always held up well as brilliant little practice amps.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by chrisatgrace
roshjosh: aren't orange amps pretty expensive? they are as i recall.

Their high end powerful stuff is really expensive, but their small practice amps are fairly cheap, around £80-100 or so.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I have one of these, and I get good tones out of it. It's not very large in size, but it gets the job done. I don't know where to find one, though... They're not on Musician's Friend, and I got mine slightly used at a little bluegrass store in the boondocks... I have the 30 watt.

http://johnsongtr.com/RepTone-Bass.258.0.html
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
I wish I had £200 to fork out on a practice amp.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Quote by Killed-By-Death
I wish I had £200 to fork out on a practice amp.

how much do you work? i work around 45 hours a week.

so i've narrowed it down to three possiblities

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Bassman-100-Combo-Amp?sku=480871

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-12180-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485036

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA112-50W-Single-12-Combo?sku=481776

help me bass gods
Last edited by chrisatgrace at Aug 7, 2008,
I'm thinking Peavey, Acoustic, and Fender are going to be the brands to look at.

edit: ya beat me...I think the Ashdown is your best bet there. Makes me look like an arse too, since I didn't even mention ashdown...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 7, 2008,
Wish I had hit refresh before I posted..heh. Maybe I should keep less tabs open.

*edited*
Nope, no sig here.
the line 6 110 is nice its 75 watts and 10 in i think
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013
the line 6 110 is nice its 75 watts and 10 in i think

i'm not really looking for a modeler. i already have a PODx3
tbirds, that's not a good amp...nothing that line 6 makes in the low-budget market is any good.
Nope, no sig here.
Sorry...it's just that this is the 3rd thread he's done that in, with firm opposition all around.

That said...

I found this

Less wattage than the Ashdown but it's a 115 and has about as many features.
Nope, no sig here.
that's a bit large though i was hoping for either a 12 or 10...i've got a 15 and it's way too big.
Ah...I see.

That Ashdown's going to be hard to beat, really. How much wattage are you looking for?
Nope, no sig here.
...so smaller that I've been finding. I'll look around some more.

That ashdown is STILL really hard to beat.

Hartke

Still over 100W, but it's not a 15"...
Nope, no sig here.
thankee

Not sure if it's better than the ashdown, but It's an option. I always like hartke's slap tones. Never played through an ashdown though...nobody here carries them
Nope, no sig here.
I'm looking for something smaller for when I go back to uni too...I've been thinking maybe a Genz Benz Shuttle 110 or 112.
^ wish I had the money for one of those...I get to lug either a Peavey Basic 40(50lbs) or a Hartke A25(25W) around UALR for the next 4 years. I don't think there are any 1-story building on that campus besides frat houses.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ wish I had the money for one of those...I get to lug either a Peavey Basic 40(50lbs) or a Hartke A25(25W) around the campus...
I'll have to raise the money by giving blowjobs to sailors
Page 1 of 2