Right, i changed string gauge on my ibanez without knowing that this would affect the set-up. Luckily enough i friend of a friend managed to sort it out for me. But one thing he did was jam a small pile of coins under the bridge to stop it moving as i said i didnt use the tremolo anyway. Question i am asking is if i take these coins out what is gonna happen to the bridge? Hope this is understandable as my technical abilities equal zero.
Usually that method is used to set the tremolo and then the piece is removed. (or in your case, pile of coins)

Sometimes people like to just leave it in to lock up the tremolo indefinitely.

If you take them out, you will have to retune... but hopefully it won't go too far.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by ASillars
Right, i changed string gauge on my ibanez without knowing that this would affect the set-up. Luckily enough i friend of a friend managed to sort it out for me. But one thing he did was jam a small pile of coins under the bridge to stop it moving as i said i didnt use the tremolo anyway. Question i am asking is if i take these coins out what is gonna happen to the bridge? Hope this is understandable as my technical abilities equal zero.

It'll likely sink back into the trem cavity. Your friend's a bit of a plonker for doing that to be honest, it's not really solved your problem and it's also not particularly good to have metal pressing on metal like that. You need to balance the spring tension and that'll take you awhile to sort out but you want to be getting those coins out of there....

...on the plus side, free money!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It'll likely sink back into the trem cavity. Your friend's a bit of a plonker for doing that to be honest, it's not really solved your problem and it's also not particularly good to have metal pressing on metal like that. You need to balance the spring tension and that'll take you awhile to sort out but you want to be getting those coins out of there....

...on the plus side, free money!

Agreed, and free money=win. TS, youll need to get the trem set up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.