I think this goes here, it's an intonation problem of some kind.

When I play two notes on the same fret but on adjacent strings, one after the other kinda like
E----8
B--8--

(for example, the beginning of Europa by Santana) when I do that, they sort of clash - it's really hard to explain, but they sound horrible and make a nasty sound. When I play them separately, it's fine, but together, if the first one is still ringing, they go mental.

Is this normal?
I'm not a guitarist, but I think the B and E strings of a guitar are NOT tuned to perfect fifths. Or maybe the G to B. Anyways yeah, it's just how the standard tuning is setup. It is normal.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
yes... very very normal... just pull off your finger from the b string and it won't make any weird noises...
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I'm not a guitarist, but I think the B and E strings of a guitar are NOT tuned to perfect fifths. Or maybe the G to B. Anyways yeah, it's just how the standard tuning is setup. It is normal.

B and E are tuned to fifths. You probably do have an intonation problem. Do you know how to check intonation?

EDIT:
Nevermind, that's just a really ****ty place for a double stop. My guitar is set up near perfectly, and it still sounds gay.
maybe your guitar isn't in tune. if it's a cheap guitar, there's much more chances that it won't keep tuned long. or maybe you just bend just a bit one or both strings, probably by pressing too hard, or press on the fret with a small angle... it actually happens to me sometimes, but much less than before. Keep practicing well and it will disappear i guess.

If it's not your playing skills, than it's your guitar. Check out the neck, frets, intonation, and everything else. Good luck
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Quote by aedmiston
B and E are tuned to fifths. You probably do have an intonation problem. Do you know how to check intonation?

EDIT:
Nevermind, that's just a really ****ty place for a double stop. My guitar is set up near perfectly, and it still sounds gay.

First off, E is a fourth higher than B, not a fifth.

Second, I don't know why it wouldn't sound good. It sounds fine when I do it. The only reason I would find is that perfect fourths are a bit more dissonant that perfect fifths.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!