can anyone recommend any books that teach how to play guitar? not sure about buying because some are quite pricey and I don't want to waste my hard earned cake.
heavy metal guitar by arlen roth is what taught me.. it's not ALL heavy metal but he covers the basics, how to tune, read tab, owning your style and picking the right equipment, scales etc then gets into some pretty cool stuff and chord progressions.. i also just spent countless hours online reading lessons. which works a lot and is way cheaper since you don't want to spend money. you just have to have patience with yourself.

but really, everything you need to know is online.
A tip: get a teacher. If you do stuff wrong it usually forms as a habit (I had this, I just kind of taught myself, and as a result I could never alternate pick). If you can't afford one, look around online before buying any books. Or buy one good book and kind of learn from there.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
There are a lot of other resources to. You can find lots of lessons online, and there are programs available for download, so that you are getting audio and video examples as well as good lessons.

And you always have forums like this. They're always a great way to get information and feedback.
Hal Leonard Guitar Method Complete

It has 3 of the volumes in one book. It's a basic beginners course... but it gets advanced. The first book is pretty easy the the second book gets into some more advancedish stuff. I recommend it. Actually, I'm using it right now.

http://books-videos-music.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hal-Leonard-Guitar-Method-Complete-Edition-BookCD?sku=941718
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I used that Hal Leonard book to. You need to be able to read notes though, so you would have to start off at the beginning.
The mel bay guitar method books are good too. I believe there are 7 volumes, and you can either buy them separate or as one pack together.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Every book I looked at (or bought) wound up leaving me confused at one point or another... usually very early on. A lot of the problem was that none of the books were capable of showing me what I was doing wrong. I also tried a bunch of the online tutorials, but without some kind of a roadmap (i.e. do this first, then this then this then this, etc), it all just turned into one big useless pile of information. Some people are self-taught and flourish, but some just can't go that route, and I'm one of them.

For the last few months I've had an instructor and it makes all the difference. The book he teaches from would leave me completely confused because it explains very little, but the lessons themselves combined with his explanations and showing me things like the timing, the strums and all of the basics that a book can't convey have been extremely valuable.

For me, the biggest waste of money would have been to continue without lessons.
Quote by AznElliot518
Hal Leonard Guitar Method Complete

It has 3 of the volumes in one book. It's a basic beginners course... but it gets advanced. The first book is pretty easy the the second book gets into some more advancedish stuff. I recommend it. Actually, I'm using it right now.

http://books-videos-music.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hal-Leonard-Guitar-Method-Complete-Edition-BookCD?sku=941718

do they have like a volume 4?
Quote by mikelowe08
can anyone recommend any books that teach how to play guitar? not sure about buying because some are quite pricey and I don't want to waste my hard earned cake.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you can check out some online lessons. Check out www.justinguitar.com This guy has prepared a series of videos specifically designed to teach the absolute basics to beginning guitar players.

But if you must have a book, someone mentioned Hal Leonard. I've got one of those books, and they're very thorough and easy to follow.
His lessons are very good:

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you can check out some online lessons. Check out www.justinguitar.com This guy has prepared a series of videos specifically designed to teach the absolute basics to beginning guitar players.

I use a program to pull the videos out of You Tube, then convert and burn to DVD and play on my tv.

My daughter's started her with the Wolf Marshall book. It is actually pretty good. I explains the basics of music very good. I am pretty sure most books will do this too.

In reality you really should find a good guitar teacher. Remember it is kinda hard to get an answer from your question from a video or a book. I find they have a hard time speaking.
Quote by guitarist64
do they have like a volume 4?

Nope only goes up to 3.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.