Okay, so I was hanging out with this guy I know who's learning guitar, and I kind of teach him stuff every now and then, but I'm not his teacher or anything. Anyway, he was just messing around, and pulled off a whole bunch of very well done pinch harmonics, so I complemented him on them, because I'd never seen him do those before. Then I played some stuff, and did a natural harmonic, and shook the guitar to make it waver in pitch a litte bit, and he was just like "WOAH, how did you do that?!" So I showed him, by plucking an open string, and shaking the guitar again, how the string kind of wavers, an creates very subtle vibrato, but he says "No, I mean you just did a pinch harmonic without pinching." It took me a second to realize this, but he had learned how to do pinch harmonics (very well I might add) without even knowing what a natural harmonic was! Needless to say, I was kind of weirded out.

Anyone got any similar stories?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
well i know a guitar called wangcaster and it's the shape of a D-i-c-k.

End of story.
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
I seen First Act guitars hanging up on display at Wal Mart kindve like Guitar Center hangs guitars up.
I still think my guitar's SRV related suicide is a pretty funny story.

My first guitar is a Strat copy, and one day (about 6 months into owning it) I decided to put .13's on it to get a Stevie Ray-esque tone. Up until then, my guitar had been strung with .09's. Needless to say, my neck looked like it was about to split in half. So I came onto UG looking for advice, and learned how to adjust my truss rod. A day after I adjusted the rod, I noticed my neck was straighter than ever. My guitar however was making this strange and loud "PING!" sound without even being touched. I sat down and tried to tune it when the pinging became more of a screeching noise. Baffled, I set the guitar down and stood back. About half a second later, the screws on my tremolo shot off the body and my bridge ripped out under the full tension of the strings.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by Here_is_no_why

My first guitar is a Strat copy, and one day (about 6 months into owning it) I decided to put .13's on it to get a Stevie Ray-esque tone. Up until then, my guitar had been strung with .09's. Needless to say, my neck looked like it was about to split in half. So I came onto UG looking for advice, and learned how to adjust my truss rod. A day after I adjusted the rod, I noticed my neck was straighter than ever. My guitar however was making this strange and loud "PING!" sound without even being touched. I sat down and tried to tune it when the pinging became more of a screeching noise. Baffled, I set the guitar down and stood back. About half a second later, the screws on my tremolo shot off the body and my bridge ripped out under the full tension of the strings.

Hey I've seen that happen to a guys Squier when he was tuning it.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Here_is_no_why

That's pretty funny, I'm not gonna lie.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Once I was about to change the strings on my guitar, and I thought it might be fun to tighten them until they snapped rather than loosen them (yeah I was 15 yrs old and it was my first guitar-I'm older/wiser now). I started with the high E. When it snapped, it whipped back and the string went into my hand, between my index and middle finger. I tried to pull it out, and realized that it had actually gotten stuck into the bone. My sister was sitting there laughing at me. It didn't hurt or anything, but I was a little disturbed that it might be stuck there, so I just closed my eyes and pulled as hard as I could, it made a gross sucking sound as it came out. Now I cringe whenever I hear someone tightening a string higher than a normal pitch
Quote by transformerryan
Once I was about to change the strings on my guitar, and I thought it might be fun to tighten them until they snapped rather than loosen them (yeah I was 15 yrs old and it was my first guitar-I'm older/wiser now). I started with the high E. When it snapped, it whipped back and the string went into my hand, between my index and middle finger. I tried to pull it out, and realized that it had actually gotten stuck into the bone. My sister was sitting there laughing at me. It didn't hurt or anything, but I was a little disturbed that it might be stuck there, so I just closed my eyes and pulled as hard as I could, it made a gross sucking sound as it came out. Now I cringe whenever I hear someone tightening a string higher than a normal pitch

I share the same experience, except the string (also high E) went through the webbing between me index and middle fingers, so there was no bone. Went all the way through though, and it was so thin that it really didn't hurt that bad.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
I share the same experience, except the string (also high E) went through the webbing between me index and middle fingers, so there was no bone. Went all the way through though, and it was so thin that it really didn't hurt that bad.

LOL it brings me comfort that I'm not alone on this, it was a pretty retarded thing to try, looking back... that string could have hit me in worse spots, or I could have damaged the guitar... oh well, lesson learned!
this one time i was playing a strat style guitar. it had this weird metal stick thing on the bridge. everytime i pressed it, it untuned the guitar. yea i know crazy. why would you want a stick that would untune your guitar.

Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by Here_is_no_why

br00tal. Imagine that happening after pulling off a face ripping solo, and then procceed to be struck by lightning.

Seriously, that must have been an amazing/terrifying thing to witness.
well i havent had a guitar explode like you guys, i had this insane sales guy at a guitar store in south atlanta years ago, every time i would pick up aguitar off the rack he would walk over and ask ya wanna play it over an amp? well, sure,......well dude would plug it up and play the heck out of it. but he would never let me have it. he`d be wailing away on it talking about how nice the neck was and all but he wouldnt put it down, i`d lose interest and go look at another guitar. same shi& . after the third time i started to walk out of the store and he asked me what my problem was, and i said listening to you aint doin it for me, your good and all but i dont know if i like the feel of the neck blah,blah, ect. and his response to that was...well im probably better than you are and i thought you would want to here it with a pro playing .....and he meant it.......hmmm. that was weird to me cuz i`d never met somebody w/ an ego that big before.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
umm... my friends high e string broke when i was loosening it... it was weird as hell...
Quote by mig-29
well i havent had a guitar explode like you guys, i had this insane sales guy at a guitar store in south atlanta years ago, every time i would pick up aguitar off the rack he would walk over and ask ya wanna play it over an amp? well, sure,......well dude would plug it up and play the heck out of it. but he would never let me have it. he`d be wailing away on it talking about how nice the neck was and all but he wouldnt put it down, i`d lose interest and go look at another guitar. same shi& . after the third time i started to walk out of the store and he asked me what my problem was, and i said listening to you aint doin it for me, your good and all but i dont know if i like the feel of the neck blah,blah, ect. and his response to that was...well im probably better than you are and i thought you would want to here it with a pro playing .....and he meant it.......hmmm. that was weird to me cuz i`d never met somebody w/ an ego that big before.

He didn't let you even try it?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
He didn't let you even try it?

What a douchebag.

I would've complained to the manager about it... Unles he was the manager, then I would've just not come back to that store.
once i was screwing around with the settings on my amp. i forget where i had the knobs but i started playing and it felt like the air was being sucked out of my ears. It was one of the weirdest thing i things i've ever experienced playing guitar.
"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi Hendrix
Quote by randomhero93
umm... my friends high e string broke when i was loosening it... it was weird as hell...

thats happened to me, more annoying than anything
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
My guitar randomly fell over and hit me in the head, i was knocked out for 15 mintues. I found it weird because i have no idea how it fell over.
My Digitech's Metal Master pedal ran out of batteries so I went "Oh, well" and started playing through clean because I was too lazy to swap out and play through just the lead and then the amp started making a low sound which rose, sort of like an air raid alarm, it got pretty high and I got scared so I killed the power to the amp and plugged in normally.
Quote by Explorer125
What a douchebag.

I would've complained to the manager about it... Unles he was the manager, then I would've just not come back to that store.

the guy was like some local guitar god from the southside, he ended up getting complained about by enough people that the store fired him. as a matter of fact he ended up at another guitar store on the south side much humbler after that. i guess he just had to get over himself.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
2 little stories. One, I received a line 6 floorboard for free. I didn't know at the time whether or not it was compatible with the Spider 2 I had (it's not). I plugged it in and turned it on, and it didn't do anything, and then smoke started to come out of it.....needless to say, I turned it off and un-plugged it.

The other is something that's not too un-common, but it hadn't happened to me before. Also, it happened when I was playing late at night, like some point. As many know, wah pedals can pickup radio frequencies. I didn't know this. As mentioned I was playing late ate night in the dark. I was fooling with my wah, when all of the sudden, I start hearing people talking from my amp (as it had picked up a radio frequency). Scared the hell out of me.
What's the weirdest thing I've ever encountered dealing with guitars?

UG...
Signatures are overrated.