Looking for an amp for classic rock and blues rock sounds that could range from a Page like bridge humbucker distorted sound to a blues fuzz sound like SRV and Hendrix with a decent clean sound. I want to spend somewhere from $500-$1000 (could go a little higher) and I'm not opposed to getting a pedal as well as an amp. Right now I'm playing an American HSS Strat through some small crate GTX15 amps with no pedals.
A 2nd-hand Mesa Express would cover those tones really well, at the upper end of your budget. There are probably less expensive solutions, but the Express has first-rate cleans, crunch, blues & lead tones.
For Hendrix and Stevie, you'll find more of the sound in their guitar. If you want the Zep sound, go with a Marshall. Fender Twin/Blues amps are nice, but the sound is crystal clean and you wont be able to build up like you want to.
if you can afford a marshall jvm 410c then you woul get lots of tone.it has 4 channels and lots of different style of that channels.
Quote by hawk5211
Fender Blues junior, and an Ibanez Ts-808. Perfect for that, and about 700 in all...

That was my first idea. Get a fender blues amp (not sure about the junior still) and get a distortion pedal or just a marshall in the range that I want. Still looking at any lesser known brands that come up.
Are you gigging? If not, then a Orange Tiny Terror might be good. The Rivera Club/Pub/Chub-sters might be something to check out as well.
Quote by Iceman 420
Are you gigging?

I plan to be though I'm not in any band right now.
You have a lot of options. If you want Hendrix and Zep, you're going to lean more marshally (think maybe a Ceriatone or Traynor YCV50BLUE). For SRV, you're going to want something more Fender-sounding. Some amps I suggest you look at:

Ampeg Reverberocket, Peavey Delta Blues, Traynor YCV50BLUE or YCV40WR, Marshall clones mentioned above, etc.

Look used at any of these for a better deal.

EDIT: A nice fender tube amp like a '66 Super Reverb Reissue might fall into budget, and that's probably instant SRV, but it'll make it tougher to get some of your other sounds. And you'd want some sort of tubescreamer or clone.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at Aug 6, 2008,
I would love more suggestions or just reinforcements of others suggestions. This weekend I'll go to guitar center and this Traynor dealer and try out some amps.
Peavey classic 30 would be a good choice for only $200. Don't expect metal through it though.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Peavey Classic 30s cost $599.99 + tax

That amp is good for ur taste, but I'd suggest Fender Blues Junior or Hot Rod Deluxe, both with tubescreamer pedal either ts9 or ts808
Quote by Irocknroll1990
Peavey Classic 30s cost $599.99 + tax

That amp is good for ur taste, but I'd suggest Fender Blues Junior or Hot Rod Deluxe, both with tubescreamer pedal either ts9 or ts808

Not at my GC, its as low as i said it. If you can't find one at your GC you can always go used, no problem and save same cash
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
In fact, I would suggest going used no matter what you buy, TS.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Peavey Delta Blue, Fender Vibrolux, Traynor YCV40 or 50 would be my shortlist for what you are looking to get with a Maxon OD808. The HSS strat should be perfect for the tones your looking to get.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^Your short list has a lot of the same amps that my post had. Maybe that should tell the TS something...

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Your short list has a lot of the same amps that my post had. Maybe that should tell the TS something...

If that doesn't, maybe the fact that I own a Delta Blues and a Vibroverb should. I play almost the exact same stuff he does.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
In fact, I would suggest going used no matter what you buy, TS.

Amen
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by gregs1020
If that doesn't, maybe the fact that I own a Delta Blues and a Vibroverb should. I play almost the exact same stuff he does.

How do you like the Vibroverb? Does it do SRV well?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
How do you like the Vibroverb? Does it do SRV well?

Well doesn't begin to describe it. It's SRV in a box. Currently I am working on Riviera Paradise and it sounds amazing. With the right amount of reverb and just a slight bit of vibrato and bam, wow, oops I wet my pants...
Very nice.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
fender hotrod deville or peavey classic 50 im saveing up for a fender because with a start it sounds good n hendrixy and with a LP it sounds kinda like page and im going for the same sound... i have a 18 watt marshall head clone right now thats good but i dunno its just not doing what i need it too
Quote by SRV59
fender hotrod deville or peavey classic 50 im saveing up for a fender because with a start it sounds good n hendrixy and with a LP it sounds kinda like page and im going for the same sound... i have a 18 watt marshall head clone right now thats good but i dunno its just not doing what i need it too

Let me get this straight, you have an 18 watter (plexi in a box) and you'd rather have a hot rod deville for Page and Hendrix tones?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by bBreaker
Ceriatone plexi clone would be good but, you would have to get a cab so it might be a little over your buget. http://www.ceriatone.com/

Ceriatone is not the end be all end of custom budget amps.

the head alone for a 1987 Plexi lead on Ceriatone in a head cab is 840 bucks, now tack on the 210 shipping. Thats out of his budget, then add on the cost of the cab as you said.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by al112987
Let me get this straight, you have an 18 watter (plexi in a box) and you'd rather have a hot rod deville for Page and Hendrix tones?

its not a plexi it is a 18 watt CLONE not real marshall my older brother built it... and i love it however its not loud enough to deal with the amps i put up against... tone wise its right there but its not loud enough

and also it over heats really easy and to prevent it from blowing id rather not gig with it im gonna use it for recording but in live shows it worrys me alot because to get it to drive i have to crank the volume witch pushes the tubes and the speeker and im dealing with an amp with 410s so i dont want to kill it
Last edited by SRV59 at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by SRV59
its not a plexi it is a 18 watt CLONE not real marshall my older brother built it... and i love it however its not loud enough to deal with the amps i put up against... tone wise its right there but its not loud enough

and also it over heats really easy and to prevent it from blowing id rather not gig with it im gonna use it for recording but in live shows it worrys me alot because to get it to drive i have to crank the volume witch pushes the tubes and the speeker and im dealing with an amp with 410s so i dont want to kill it

This is the point. A tube amp gets hot, you need to get them nice and hot to sound their best. As long as your power tubes are not running so hot that they red plate, it should not matter. The Hendrix, Page tone comes from pushing their amps and speakers. You just don't get that Marshall crunch without it.

A Marshall 1974 clone? Right, a Marshall 18 watter, they sound like baby plexis, doesn't matter if its a "Marshall" or not, if its the same circuit, then its a Marshall by my standards. They should absolutely be loud enough to keep up with any drummer. It doesn't matter how it matches up with other amps, what matters is the drummer. I've played gigs with 15 watt amps and had no problem keep up with the drummer.
Quote by al112987
This is the point. A tube amp gets hot, you need to get them nice and hot to sound their best. As long as your power tubes are not running so hot that they red plate, it should not matter. The Hendrix, Page tone comes from pushing their amps and speakers. You just don't get that Marshall crunch without it.

A Marshall 1974 clone? Right, a Marshall 18 watter, they sound like baby plexis, doesn't matter if its a "Marshall" or not, if its the same circuit, then its a Marshall by my standards. They should absolutely be loud enough to keep up with any drummer. It doesn't matter how it matches up with other amps, what matters is the drummer. I've played gigs with 15 watt amps and had no problem keep up with the drummer.

i know a tube amp gets hot and thst its supposed too however i just think id be better off at gigs with something im not gonna have to worry about because this one has no limiter on it like amps you buy in a store its got no protection and im more or less worryed about everyones eardrums becaus eto get teh sound i gotta crank and it gets too loud and not enough gain and id rather get another amp than a new pedal... i know it might not make sence to you all but its gonna make me feel better because i love this amp to no end and i dont want to run the risk of killing it or me killing my hearing... so i figure i buy a fender for giging and as a beater because this 18 watter cost me the last 2 paychecks i had when i was working and if something happens to it ill be super pissed... i was louder than my drummer with this beast it was cool... hes a hard drummer too like moon just beats on the kit and is loud as hell when he does it