I'm looking for an amp combo that's all tube, loud enough for practicing with a band and small venues, and has good clean, classic rock, and hard rock tones. I don't play metal, so that's not a factor.

I play Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers type stuff and I'd say the heaviest I get is probably like a Foo Fighters type of sound (so, really not THAT heavy).

I've narrowed it down to the Orange Rocker 30 or the Peavey Classic 30. Which one would be the better choice and why?

*PS - I'm aware the Orange costs more than the Peavey, but that's not really a factor either.
Knowing nothing about either amp, Ive heard pretty much any orange is amazing. So I'd probably go with that.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Orange.
Cool sound and its fricken beautiful.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
What you're looking for is an Orange AD30 or a Vox AC30CC.
Those are the chimey british-syle amps you're hearing on the Petty tracks. The Rocker 30 is too modern/Marshall sounding, and the Peavey just can't compete with the Orange or Vox.
Quote by Roc8995

I considered the Vox, but I had heard ever since they have begun to be manufactured in China, the quality has suffered. I also wonder how well it could handle the overdriven sound I'd be looking for every once in a while. I know I could get a Tube Screamer or too, but I like when the amp can have a good natural overdrive too.
The initial run of AC30CCs had some tube and reverb issues. The latest ones have been really solid and I haven't heard of any issues. They also have a very good master volume, so you can get quite a lot of OD out of them just by turning the channel volumes way up and the master down. Linking the channels adds some gain as well. I think it would be a mistake to pass up the Vox, since that's exactly the sound you're looking for. For what it's worth, to my ears the Chinese AC30s that everyone's afraid of sound much better than the old AC30TBXs that cost much more.
Listen to Roc, he knows his stuff.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
The one thing that was appealing about the Rocker 30 was that it got a good clean sound I thought (although I know a Vox clean would sound better) - and the distortion didn't sound too bad. Certainly a lot better than some of the modern Marshall's I've played.

But yeah, not only do I wanna be able to do a Petty-ish sound, there are times when I break into a more AC/DC or Foo Fighters type overdrive and I just want all the basis covered
Well the rocker is certainly more capable of extra gain. While the vox has the nicer cleans, dont get me wrong though, the orange cleans are great, with a single coil like a strat they sound sweet even with my rubbish stock pickups
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
...you do know that Dave Grohl uses AC30s, right?
AC/DC uses a lot less gain than you'd think, the AC30 is definitely in that territory. I think the orange AD30 would be very good too, but it doesn't have a master volume so you'd need to crank it or use an OD to get the most out of its gain structure. Again, the rocker 30 is simply the wrong choice for you IMO. No chime at all, like the AD or the AC30.
Quote by Roc8995
...you do know that Dave Grohl uses AC30s, right?
AC/DC uses a lot less gain than you'd think, the AC30 is definitely in that territory. I think the orange AD30 would be very good too, but it doesn't have a master volume so you'd need to crank it or use an OD to get the most out of its gain structure. Again, the rocker 30 is simply the wrong choice for you IMO. No chime at all, like the AD or the AC30.

Yeah, but Grohl uses the AC30 mainly for cleans. Other than that, he's using Mesa's.

But you have given a convincing argument, and I think I'll be looking more closely into the AC30. Thanks!
Quote by Roc8995
Those are the chimey british-syle amps you're hearing on the Petty tracks. The Rocker 30 is too modern/Marshall sounding, and the Peavey just can't compete with the Orange or Vox.

this is true, especially the bit about the Peavey not being able to compete so if price doesnt matter like you said than i'd take the orange for sure.
I'd just really like the VOX to be able to handle overdrive if I need it. Does it go well with pedals?