I am a complete noob, so please bear with me. I have found what is reported as being a made in America Strat at a pawn shop for $599. It's a dark brown, not my favorite color (I want black) but seems like a pretty decent deal. Two small nicks on the back but otherwise looks good. How can I be sure it's made in America? Is this a decent deal in actuality?

Thanks
American made Strats have 22 frets.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Don't buy a strat.get a quality guitar,like a gibson or an ibanez,or at least a GNL telecaster.
I'm back. Cower in fear, mortals.

Claudio Sanchez is my hero.
Quote by Kosh H
Don't buy a strat.get a quality guitar,like a gibson or an ibanez,or at least a GNL telecaster.

And ignore this guy.
Quote by Kosh H

Because Gibson have been reknowned for their marvellous quality control recently

MIM Strats are quality guitars and i reckon if you switched the pups out, you'd have a guitar the could sound pretty damn close to an MIA. Obviously, the MIA is a better guitar, but they are a hell of alot more expensive than MIMs.

If you do decide to go down the MIM route, try a couple out because their quality control hasn't been amazing over the years.
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
Quote by supereri
I am a complete noob, so please bear with me. I have found what is reported as being a made in America Strat at a pawn shop for $599. It's a \dark brown , not my favorite color (I want black) but seems like a pretty decent deal. Two small nicks on the back but otherwise looks good. How can I be sure it's made in America? Is this a decent deal in actuality?

Thanks

American Strats dont come in dark brown. Mabey it was refinished?
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Kosh H

*shudders at G&L* i really dont like those guitars....idk why but they feel horrible to me.

besides that, yea, ignore him.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Taylor704
Because Gibson have been reknowned for their marvellous quality control recently

MIM Strats are quality guitars and i reckon if you switched the pups out, you'd have a guitar the could sound pretty damn close to an MIA. Obviously, the MIA is a better guitar, but they are a hell of alot more expensive than MIMs.

If you do decide to go down the MIM route, try a couple out because their quality control hasn't been amazing over the years.

go with what he said^^ altho, i would have to say, 600$ for a guitar that you don't like the color of is kinda pushing it. if you rly rly rly rly like the feel and sound of it. go with it. otherwise, you can find used MIAs on ebay and such for around 650-700 in great condition.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i have a mim strat and i cannot find one flaw on it .. and it came set up pretty well ..inotation was slighty off
take it easy man .. its just a thread
Quote by bored_maniac33
go with what he said^^ altho, i would have to say, 600$ for a guitar that you don't like the color of is kinda pushing it. if you rly rly rly rly like the feel and sound of it. go with it. otherwise, you can find used MIAs on ebay and such for around 650-700 in great condition.

Well here's the thing, this will be a first guitar. I am not opposed to a MIM strat brand new in the color I want, I am just concerned about not knowing whether I am buying a lemon or not. This goes for the MIA pawn shop strat too. I would really rather find a black MIM used, but I don't know enough at this point to make sure it doesn't have problems beyond obvious cosmetic issues.

Maybe a new MIM is the way to go...

I think I want to pair it with a Vox AD30VT amp.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

Is this a decent amp guitar combo to start with? Something better to recommend?

Thanks
Quote by supereri
Well here's the thing, this will be a first guitar. I am not opposed to a MIM strat brand new in the color I want, I am just concerned about not knowing whether I am buying a lemon or not. This goes for the MIA pawn shop strat too. I would really rather find a black MIM used, but I don't know enough at this point to make sure it doesn't have problems beyond obvious cosmetic issues.

Maybe a new MIM is the way to go...

I think I want to pair it with a Vox AD30VT amp.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

Is this a decent amp guitar combo to start with? Something better to recommend?

Thanks

thats what i have .. new mim strat olympic white with ad30vt .. it sounds badass man .. just check out the new mim at the store and ask the guitar guy if its a lemon if u cant tell .. good luck
take it easy man .. its just a thread
There are a couple ways to check if it's MIA. Firstly it should say "Made in U.S.A" under the Fender logo on the headstock. Also, check the serial number. If it's a Standard MIA it should have 22 frets. And I don't recall there being a dark brown finish... perhaps it is a sunburst type colour?

And to the guy that said don't get a Strat... well, don't listen to him. If you want a Strat, get one. Don't get Gibson cause some guy who has been browsing the Guitar Hero shop for a new Gibbie says so.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
There are a couple ways to check if it's MIA. Firstly it should say "Made in U.S.A" under the Fender logo on the headstock. Also, check the serial number. If it's a Standard MIA it should have 22 frets. And I don't recall there being a dark brown finish... perhaps it is a sunburst type colour?

I never owned a Strat, but the obvious difference I see between MIMs and MIAs is the "Fender" logo on the headstock. It looks quite different - bold font for MIMs and "noodles" looking logo for MIAs.
Quote by barber76
I never owned a Strat, but the obvious difference I see between MIMs and MIAs is the "Fender" logo on the headstock. It looks quite different - bold font for MIMs and "noodles" looking logo for MIAs.

The cosmetics of the guitar usually vary too. For instance, most MIA's have a glossed fretboard, whereas MIM's don't. Some MIA's also have rolled fingerboard edges and the like. Also, I've heard that (never really looked into it) that MIA's are assembled from fewer pieces of wood compared to MIM's.

But yes, depending on the Fender, their logo does vary.