help me finalize this debate. I need to find the one with the easiest playability, the trem that stays in tune the most, the best sound, the most features. Im kinda leaning towards the squier because ive tried them before and they are great for the price, easy to play, sound fairly good, and stay in tune pretty good too, but i dont know really what to expect with the pacifica. please help.
Never had a tuning problem with my Squier.

Same with my friend's Pacifica.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
I have a squier fat strat, and I recently put a Super Distortion in it.

I love it a lot.

It's very playable and the neck is very fast.

Get the Squier. They're much better than Yamahas.
It's a process, not an event.
I personally like the yamaha more than the squier...
I've tried them both and I like the pacifica sound and its neck more than the squier
Quote by QuebecMetal
Never had a tuning problem with my Squier.

Same with my friend's Pacifica.
i would save your money and get a real strat
not because its better but because it would be so embarrassing to have a squier
BUT if i had to choose i would definitely go for the squier because yamaha makes dirtbikes
not that i have a problem with dirt bikes but they just dont go together
It depends on which squier and which pacifica. I've heard that the Squier Vintage Modified series and the Classic Vibe series are very good, and the Pacifica 112 and up are good as well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well to ppl who say its embarrassing to play a squier, its not the gear, its the hands that play it. greats like evh or randy rhoads could play one and the skill level would be the same, and its not the variety of guitars that helps me choose... its the urgent need of an upgrade from my crappy (and broken) ibanez necked, vinci strat copy guitar. ive been playing for a year and a half and i think im at least skilled enough to get a squier. ppl just staring off get squiers! i couldnt even afford one! as i gain money i'll probably mod it up little by little until its professional grade. then someday i can get a professional guitar when i have a good paying job.
Gibson Explorer.

But seriously I've never had a problem with My Squier. Go for it.
When the power of love overcomes the love for power, the world will know peace. ~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by clayedwardwhite
BUT if i had to choose i would definitely go for the squier because yamaha makes dirtbikes

actually i've played both and yamaha is way better
+1 to Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified. i played a Vintage Modified strat and it's actually good. never played a Yamaha though, except for an RBX and a drumset, but it receives good reviews on the net and even at shops.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
New to the forum here...

The Yamaha Pacifica is a superior instrument to any Squier Fender. Yamaha seems to use better materials and has by far a better quality control department. That's saying something for a mega-company like Yamaha. They do a much better job overall than Fender.

The sound of the Pacifica comes closer to a classic Fender Strat than most cheap Strats made by Fender. Having said that, some of the newer MIM Strats and Teles are absolutely amazing.

Changing a few things like some of the components and having a good set-up will make any of these instruments play like they should have cost hundreds more.

Cheers everyone!!
Phat meat is greasy!!
Last edited by phatdaddy at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by phatdaddy
New to the forum here...

The Yamaha Pacifica is a superior instrument to any Squier Fender.

Epic fail.
Squier makes models that are even better than american standard strats.
For example the Squier JV strat.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Epic fail.
Squier makes models that are even better than american standard strats.
For example the Squier JV strat.

They are not better than the American Standard Strats.

People, stop lying to yourselves.
^Ever played one?
They sure are...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
anyway, ot: i also would go for the yamaha though.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
i tried one of each when i was looking for my second guitar, the yamaha completely blew me away, by far the better instrument. I found the squier to be pretty soft and way too crackly when fiddling with the switches, go for the yamaha
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Get the squire, my friend has one, and it plays really nicely, dont get a yamaha, you will never get that fender tone out of it.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
^Neither will you out of a squier fat strat. lol
The only really good squiers are the MIJ ones, which cost 500-800$, depending on which model. The yamaha will be closer to the real fender-ish tone than the squier if you ask me...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 30, 2008,
Squier. There's nothing wrong with playing one, and they're way better than Yamaha. Yamaha guitars suck 90% of the time.
Yamaha Pacifica. It wins awards every year for being the best guitar in it's price range. If you didn't know, Squires and Pacifica are in the same price range, which means they're better. I've played a fair few of both myself, and have always come away preferring the Pacifica. It's just a better guitar. Yamaha even upgraded it for 2008!
Quote by clayedwardwhite

That is perhaps the worst reasoning ever.

And to TS, get the Yamaha, great specs, great player, it's everything a beginner (and even up to intermediate) player could want.
I have a MIA real strat, and honest to God the 2008 Yamaha looks appealing with it's humbucker and everything. If I was buying someone their first guitar or an upgrade from a low end Squier I would consider it!!
NO ONE NEEDS TO POST ON THIS ANYMORE! IM NOT BUYING EITHER THE YAMAHA OR SQUIER! IM SAVING FOR A ACTUALLY INTERMEDIATE GUITAR! have a nice day...
between the Fat Strat and Pacifica it's really a toss-up. I had a Squier California Strat and I now own a Pacifica which sounds pretty much the same except for with the bridge humbucker pickup which gets you way better tone than anything you could hope to get out of a Squier. The single coils have exactly the same dull, thin tone as on a regular Squier which is a huge thumbs-down. Has anyone here played, or own a Mexican Fat Strat? Would be interesting to see how it compares to both the Pac and Squier