Ok I'm thinking about getting a new guitar...it'll be my second one and it's probably gonna need to be set up correctly...I hear a bunch of people talking about getting their new guitars getting set up...I didn't do anything to my first one because well I didn't know what to do lol...anyways can I just take it to guitar center or a music store and tell 'em "hey I need this guitar setup. thanks" or do I need tell them what it needs and stuff like that...just wondering what the hell I should about all this setup stuff...thanks
Last edited by blackdog009 at Aug 6, 2008,
PRS guitars boasts their instrument quality. It is said that they are ultimately playable from out-of-the-box (no setup needed, less worries) and all you need to do is setup your tone to w/c ever amp you may have.
I dont really think you need a set up for a new guitar unless you need your action lowered or something very complicated. If you just need to change your strings you should be able to do that yourself fairly easily.

Why do you want your new guitar to have a set up?
well I've heard a lot of people who have bought gibsons or epiphones (which I will be getting) say that they have had to get the action lowered or the intonation fixed...a lot of people say you can kind of expect a high action when buying a new guitar
Along the same lines, what does "set up" mean, exactly?
-
Why yes, I am a guitar noob. Why do you ask?
a set up is just a tune up of your guitar. fixing the action, intonation, adjusting the truss rod, and a bunch of stuff that just makes your guitar's performance better and playability much easier and better as well
Last edited by blackdog009 at Aug 6, 2008,
well, if it plays well you probably won't need a setup...

if you're a tinkering maniac like me, you'll want to set up the guitar and frets so it plays super...

but the common adjustments are action, intonation, and truss rod...
all of which can be don with a screwdriver, tuner, and allen key...
thanks heminder that helps...how would you tell if the action needed to be adjusted...just if playing was difficult?
Quote by blackdog009
thanks heminder that helps...how would you tell if the action needed to be adjusted...just if playing was difficult?

pretty much...
and if it's buzzing all over, try raising the action...
unless it's a buzz you can live with, in favour of playability...

truss rods also affect action, but they're largely for relief (neck bow)...
Last edited by heminder at Aug 6, 2008,