Page 1 of 2
So the story behind this build is my dad and i pulled out some old, 18+ years, mahogany from the attic the other day that was once used to build my baby crib. This kinda inspired me to take the remaining wood and build a guitar with it. I decided to go with a strat, i know not the most exciting, but it will be kinda different cuz its mahogany. Im planning on staining it and slapping on a pickguard with 3 single coils and a tremolo. Im ordering a neck off stewmac because the tools my dad has are limited and the time before i go back to school is qucikly diminishing...

Seeing how this is my first build im totally open to your guys opinions and any feedback you have is greatly appreciated!

Template Used
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0415.jpg

Side View Glued Together
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0417.jpg

Front View
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0418.jpg

Top View
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0420.jpg

Tools
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0421.jpg
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
I don't know if its jsut the angling but the from the Front View picture it looks unnaturally thick?
Nah there is a lot of sanding left on that guitar. Are you going with a Maple Flame top?
you had a crib built out of mahogany! god damn thats nice, but there it is right in front of me, and that is definitely mahogany. That must have been one heavy ass crib. Looks good so far. you might want to pop a new blade on that jigsaw, some of the cuts look a little jagged. Can't wait to see it sanded, and I've always wanted to see an unfinished strat.
get a router and template on this and it'l look perfect , i cut mine with a jigsaw with a bent and slightly twisted blade ( i got impatient) and then used a template and router and now it looks great, check it out it my sig if you want, we need some more spec on the final product also
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
lmme94 it is pretty thick.... i wasnt sure if the original piece of mahogany was going to cut it so i got some maple we had, in the attic too lol, and put that on the back. Hopefully after adding the contours and finall sanding, which there is alot to do, it will shrink up a bit.

The final finish is going to be some kinda mahogany stain as the maple is just plain and not flame. Im thinking either a cherry mahogany or a dark walnut. Tomorrow ill post pics on how the practice stains turned out on the scraps.

Thanks for the input
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Oh ok that makes sense well it looks great dude I's love to see how this turns out!
"mahogany from the attic the other day that was once used to build my baby crib" To make make a guitar out of the same wood used for your own baby crip is god damn awsome, promise you'll name it 'Cribby'

Just think of making a guitar of some wood from the house in Evil Dead or something
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
This is really nice looking, but why not use the maple as a top instead of a back and carve the top?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by VLVTRVOLVR13
So the story behind this build is my dad and i pulled out some old, 18+ years, mahogany from the attic the other day that was once used to build my baby crib. This kinda inspired me to take the remaining wood and build a guitar with it. I decided to go with a strat, i know not the most exciting, but it will be kinda different cuz its mahogany. Im planning on staining it and slapping on a pickguard with 3 single coils and a tremolo. Im ordering a neck off stewmac because the tools my dad has are limited and the time before i go back to school is qucikly diminishing...

Seeing how this is my first build im totally open to your guys opinions and any feedback you have is greatly appreciated!

Template Used

Side View Glued Together

Front View

Top View

Tools

there much better

and looking good man!
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
99% of guitar builders would've put the maple on top... but oh well.

Looks like a cool project you got going there.

Thats going to be one heavy piece of wood, for sure.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Yea, i know it seems very strange that maple will be on the bottom but i really want the bulk of the tone and the aesthetics of the guitar to come from the mahogany, so it will be interesting to see how that turns out...

here are a couple stain samples i did last night...

Cherry Stain
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0423.jpg

Red Mahogany
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0424.jpg

Dark Walnut
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0425.jpg

All Three
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f272/jsr5093/100_0422.jpg

i didnt apply andy kinda clear finish yet...checking out more stains today and hopefully some more options and samples to show you guys.

Thanks to everyone whose taken interest!
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Quote by LP Addict
order a neck from me =]

agreed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you put the image address in between IMG tags, then it will just show up on the forum so we don't have to click a dozen links to read your thread.

IMG between these things []

If you put that here, it will do this:

And since you're using photobucket, they make it retardedly easy to do. You just choose IMG tags underneath your picture. Click it, it will say "copied" and then you just come here and Paste it onto the forum. (right click mouse, choose paste)
My Music
It looks like it's coming along great dude!
Last edited by Imme94 at Aug 7, 2008,
what did you cut your body with? it looks rough and tumble....

EDIT: did you use the jigsaw? cause your edges on the body looks really flat...
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Last edited by shampooboy37 at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by shampooboy37
what did you cut your body with? it looks rough and tumble....

EDIT: did you use the jigsaw? cause your edges on the body looks really flat...

hahaha that's a perfect phrase to describe it's looks

And yeah, what did you cut it with?
I think you made the right decision to keep the mahogany on top. There are enough maple top guitars out there already, and the grain on your mahogany looks nice. I would stain it just dark enough to somewhat disguise the lines between the pieces of mahogany.
cedricsmods thanks for the idea on that, i was wondering what i could due to hide those lines...

and yea i did use the jigsaw to cut out the body and i cut the mahogany and maple seperate which is why it looks so freakin uneven lol... i had a blade snap too but hopefully tomorrow ill get a chance to work on tidying up those edges a bit more
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
really? well i started my body it was with a band saw (just practice wood) then i used a jigsaw for my final body. but mine is a one piece and it's not as rough...
(I don't mean to insult your work so please don't get offended)
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
none taken

this is kinda my first time working with any kind of woodshop equipment so im trying to figure things out as i go along... the body will look much better once its sanded AND my buddy brought over a planner(sp?) so that i can take off some wood and make the body overall thinner
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
well i've used tools alot.... and my dad is a carpenter so i have some experince... but atleast you have some nice wood lol i'm stuck with a slab of pine... but it's looking real good..
BTW there is only one n in planer...
I went to order a neck today from stewmac and the strats with rosewood were backed up, and the estimated shipping time was August 13th....seeing as how im probably going back to school around the 17th i decided, on a whim, to just order a rosewood tele neck.

My only trouble now is trying to decide on a finish... i have practiced about six different stains, and i kinda like them all, but for some i would go with a black pickguard and some i would go tortoise so the next thing im trying to decide is the finish before i order the remaining parts from guitar fetish...

From left to right the stains are Golden Oak, Red Oak, Provincial, English Chestnut, Red Mahogany, and Dark Walnut(much lighter than previous)

What do you guys think?
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
I like the first two... but it's your guitar. you decide...
i would suggest going to warmoth or something and getting a nice dye. that will give it a better quality finish. if your going to go the route your going though, you can get grain fillers at stu-mac that are those colors. that way the clear coat won't soak into the wood and you'll have a smooth finish instead of a grainy finish.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Fillers_and_putties/1/Lawrence-McFadden_Grain_Filler/Pictures.html#details

out of your pics, i like golden oak. not a fan of the dark browns. looks like furnature.
what
Quote by IamJonsCranium
i would suggest going to warmoth or something and getting a nice dye. that will give it a better quality finish. if your going to go the route your going though, you can get grain fillers at stu-mac that are those colors. that way the clear coat won't soak into the wood and you'll have a smooth finish instead of a grainy finish.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Fillers_and_putties/1/Lawrence-McFadden_Grain_Filler/Pictures.html#details

out of your pics, i like golden oak. not a fan of the dark browns. looks like furnature.

Soooo would the process of applying the finish be this?

1. Apply Grain Filler
2. Apply Stain
3. Apply Clear Coat

Or... Does the grain filler, such as rosewood or mahogany that they have, act as the stain too?
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Sorry for the double post but in addition to the question about finishing above, does anyone know the exact chamfer radius used on the sides of a stratocaster?

Heres the progress my dad and i made tonight, our neighbors must hate us for working so late

Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Quote by ohspyro89
Why is that maple grain that way?

It's not figured.

TS; you should with on of the redder finishes, like the Cherry or Red Mahogany.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
^I think he means why is it perpendicular to the direction it's usually placed. Usually you'll have the grain flowing butt to head, but this is side to side.
yea i placed the maple the other way for really no intended purpose, just cuz its what my hands did

So after reading a little on Stew Mac it sounds like i am supposed to stain the wood, apply the grain filler and the seal it with a clear coat... can anyone with experience confirm that or guide me in the correct direction? Much Appreciated

I also found that the chamfer is 1/2 an inch and i rounded the sides with my dad this morning, im working now on the rest of the contours and maybe pickguard placement, routing, and the neck pocket (well see how far i get to tonight)
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Sounds right to me. If you stain after the grain filler, the stain won't seep into the deep grain well, I bet... so that order is logical.

That wood will look wicked on top if you don't stain it. The clear will darken it up a bit and it will look really sweet natural.
My Music
i would have put the maple on top and paint it a soild colour but tape over the maple on the side and it will look likee binding. (I love binding )
Also that will probably be really heavy, you should have routed chambers out. Looks good though!

EDIT: 100th Post whooo
Here is some work i did tonight, theres a few spaces i need to fix in the neck joint but it should be no problem... take a look!!

Guitarcam, i think i am leaving the maple clear, kinda like a back binding or something, and i might take out a little extra wood from under the pickguard too
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Hows the weight feeling as of now? Did it lighten up when you cut it down? You should go hold it and step on a bathroom scale to measure its weight. (then you put it down and weigh yourself)
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
Hows the weight feeling as of now? Did it lighten up when you cut it down? You should go hold it and step on a bathroom scale to measure its weight. (then you put it down and weigh yourself)

its a lot lighter than before, but still much heavier than a normal strat, im thinking of routing out just a big block under the pickguard instead of individual single coil holes to take out a little more wood...
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Yeah, do the 'bathtub' route to it.

You can make the control cavity pretty big, too. If you just shield your control cavity with some copper tape or glued in sheets, it won't be a problem how big you make it.
My Music
Page 1 of 2