so I want to buy this guitar whenever I get the money (not too far from now) and whenever I can go try it out...so anyway, I was wondering if its really worth 900 bucks. its all solid wood and stuff...I was also wondering if its only meant for fingerstyle, does it make it hard to play chords? especially bar chords?

thanks.

edit: specifically the Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RA
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
so I want to buy this guitar whenever I get the money (not too far from now) and whenever I can go try it out...so anyway, I was wondering if its really worth 900 bucks. its all solid wood and stuff...I was also wondering if its only meant for fingerstyle, does it make it hard to play chords? especially bar chords?

thanks.

edit: specifically the Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RA

For a great solid wood guitar such as this, it's definitely worth it. You're getting good materials and great build quality. I've played a few masterbilts myself and was stunned at how good they were.

Any acoustic, no matter what shape, can do anything. Fingerstyle, flatpicking, etc. The difference is whether or not it sounds as good doing those things.

For example, lots of fingerstyle guitarists prefer Concert body(000) guitars(which this one is) because the sound is more tonally balanced. They sound great strummed or picked.

Dreadnoughts usually have so much bass that it's a little overwhelming for fingerpicking, but blends strummed chords together with it's big bass. Some people, however, like using dreadnoughts for fingerpicking regardless though.

Really, it's all just tonal preference. Any guitar can do any thing that any other guitar can do.

EDIT: the poster above me has obviously never tried an epiphone masterbilt. Ignore him. The masterbilt series guitars are some of the best under $1000 guitars out there. I would probably either get a Martin 000-15, an epiphone masterbilt, or a Guild GAD series guitar if I were limited to $900 or so.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Last edited by captivate at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by i heart skoal
stay away from epiphones bro, you could get something so much better with that 900 bucks

close minded fool.
Epiphone are famous for making outstanding acoustic and hollowbody guitars.
the price tag is pretty large sure, but its a very high quality guitar, its called masterbuilt for a reason.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
ok thanks guys. I was just curious, because I am pretty sure thats going to be my next buy...

also I hear that the strings are more separated than on a usual acoustic guitar, I guess kind of like a classical guitar. is it really that much of a difference?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
if u can do without the beautiful abalone inlays .. then get the regular ef500 .. its alot cheaper
take it easy man .. its just a thread
I have the EF-500M. Let me tell you, Epiphone makes no bad acoustic guitars let me tell you. My guitar is very comfortable to play on and its not exactly ment for fingerpicking. It plays great bar chords and fretting is easy....Not as easy as an electric but easy for acoustic. It's got a very bright and balanced tone. It's all around great guitar. Great for the money. But yeah if you can do without the abalone then you can get a much cheaper version. Great buy nonetheless.
thanks. I will think about it, because I really like the binding on the neck...but I guess its not very important.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
well now I am also considering the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500R, do you guys know which wood is better for tapping and for fingerpicking and harmonix? rosewood, or mahogany?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Great guitar. especially for strumming and pick. I wouldn't say it's an idea fingerpicking guitar but then again that dreadnought shape can sound really good fingerpicking if played right. I have no trouble with my wife's dreadnought, I just put less emphasis on the base notes. For blues the extra bass can be a big plus. for fingerpicking I'd go for OM size [it just sits on the knee so well without stuffing around with neck straps] for great strumming AND fingerpicking. Then again Missassippi John Hurt played a dreadnought for fingerpicking and boy, is he good and so delicate.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 12, 2008,
ok, I guess I will just have to compare them side by side, but idk when I am going to get to go to a guitar center...I hear that the ef guitars have a v shape neck, what does that mean? I cant imagine the neck profile actually being as sharp as a V...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Well they are sort of a [soft] V shape. Quite good for using the thumb to fret the 6th. string as a lot of players do to avoid a lot of bar cords.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 12, 2008,
so tomorrow I am probably going to go to guitar center, so I might come home with a new guitar, not sure yet...I was wondering if there are big sound differences in each of the masterbilt guitars. reason being because I might not know which to buy. I want one that will be good with finger style/tapping. and also good for chords...any help will be appreciated.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
dont worry so much about finding a guitar that's good for that. Whatever plays the best will be the best fingerstyle/tapping/strumming guitar you can find. It's about your playing much more than anything else. Make sure you find something very comfortable or you'll regret it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.