I'm looking at the Schetcher hellraiser and the Jackson SL3. I'm not huge into gear... yet. What are the main differences between the two, and which one would you recommend?

(I'm into hard rock/metal genre)
SL3.

Model Name Pro Series SL3 Soloist™
Model Number 291-4000-(Color#)
Series Pro Series
Colors Solid / Metallic Finish Group:
(503) Black, (BLK),
(568) Satin Black, (SBK),
Transparent Finish Group:
(501) Amber Sunburst, (ASB),
(558) Natural, (NAT),
(586) Transparent Blue, (TB),
(590) Transparent Red, (TR)
Body Alder with Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors
Neck Neck-Thru-Body Rock Maple with Scarf Joint Head Stock
Neck Dimensions 3rd Fret: .790”, 12th Fret: .850”
Tuning Machines Sealed Die-Cast Tuners
Fingerboard Rosewood with Compound 14” to 16” Radius
No. of Frets 24 Jumbo Frets
Bridge Pickup Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucking Pickup
Middle Pickup Seymour Duncan® SHR-1N Humbucking Pickup
Neck Pickup Seymour Duncan® SHR-1N Humbucking Pickup
Controls Master Volume,
Master Tone
Bridge Floyd Rose® FRT-O2000 Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo
Pickup Switching 5-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup
Hardware Black
Strings NPS, Gauges:
.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042
Case Optional Deluxe Molded Case
Pickguard None
Scale Length 25.5” (648mm)
Width at Nut 1-11/16” (43mm)
Notice Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice
Unique Features Jackson 6-In-Line Pointed Headstock,
Compound (14” to 16&rdquo Fingerboard Radius,
MOTO Shark Fin Position Inlays,
Matching Headstock on Transparent Colors
Introduced 1/2006

and im guessing you meant the HR C-1 FR.

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access / 25.5”
BODY: Mahogany w/ Quilted Maple Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: 3-pc Mahogany / Rosewood
FRETS: 24 Jumbo
INLAYS: 'Gothic Cross'
PICKUPS: EMG Active 81TW/89
ELECTRONICS: Vol(tap)/Vol(tap)/Tone/3-way switch
BRIDGE: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo
BINDING: Abalone
TUNERS: Grover
HARDWARE: Black Chrome
COLOR: Black Cherry (BCH)

US RETAIL PRICE: $1199

whats your amp?
Wow fast responses! I played guitar over 2 years ago, but only had cheap beginner stuff. I'm looking to buy a new guitar, amp, and any effects pedals/necessities that I might need. So currently I have nothing.

I also know nothing about gear, so whatever pickups or bridges are better than others I'm oblivious too.
And money is not really an issue, but I wouldn't want to pay hundreds more if I didn't have to, if you know what I mean?

I'm looking for a hard rock, heavy metal sound, but would also like to play blues, jazz, etc. once in a while if I feel the need. Will the different styles cause me to purchase one guitar over another, or is that an amp thing...?
well now, that's a start. So what is your overall budget, types of music you play?
Quote by Ghold125
well now, that's a start. So what is your overall budget, types of music you play?

your budget will be nice, and i can recommend.

heres what i want to ask you.

do you want a lead tone, a ryhthm tone? do you want a fixed bridge? do you want death metal, thrash metal, speed metal, metalcore, mathcore? what kind of heavy rock? crappy mainstream? or GN'R and VH? give me the bands you want to sound like.

do you want the "whammy bar" or would you not use one?
the jackson soloist is one of the nicest guitars ive ever played and looking stunning aswell

never played schetcher so cant comment on that
Personally I think the Schecter C-1 Blackjack is better than the Hellraiser (very similar guitar, better pickups). They're of similar quality to the Jackson, but a much better price.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
I listen to:

Metallica
Megadeth
Pantera
Avenged Sevenfold
Ozzy
Lamb of God
Van Halen
some ACDC

My biggest problem is that I change interest quickly. I might want to play a death metal song one day, and then the next want to play something lighter. So I don't want to just stick to the death metal scene.

The whammy bar might be nice, so long as it isn't cheap and break off, or constantly get the strings out of tune. I have never used one before so I don't know.
Quote by gardon
I listen to:

Metallica
Megadeth
Pantera
Avenged Sevenfold
Ozzy
Lamb of God
Van Halen
some ACDC

My biggest problem is that I change interest quickly. I might want to play a death metal song one day, and then the next want to play something lighter. So I don't want to just stick to the death metal scene.

The whammy bar might be nice, so long as it isn't cheap and break off, or constantly get the strings out of tune. I have never used one before so I don't know.
well then the SL3 is the better choice. itll get you in different genres.

and that wont get you out of tune, its double locking, and its not a POS.
I'm starting to get into the shredding scene... the neoclassical stuff. That's incredible how good they are, and if I bust my ass hard enough I'd hope to one day be able to accomplish half of what some of these guys can.

But to answer the lead/rhythm question... I'd like to do both if possible. If it came down to it, I would probably prefer lead.
Quote by SiegeCrew
well then the SL3 is the better choice. itll get you in different genres.

and that wont get you out of tune, its double locking, and its not a POS.

Had I only wanted the one genre, would the Schetcher have been the choice? Is that because it's better suited to that genre, or just because it would save me money?
the sl3 can do it all if you wanted it to.
the hellraiser is more geared for metal.
but the sl3 can do metal really well to.
You guys kick some major ass! How about an amp? I really have no price limit, but again don't want to have to donate body parts in order to pay for it.

I've heard good things about tube amps. What do you think??
Bedroom practice. (But when I do decide to get a gigging amp, what would you recommend?)
if there's no budget cap, take a look at Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 or the 5:50...
switchable from 5 watts to 25 or 50 watts...
which is low enough volume for practice and loud enough for some gigging...
saves you buying two amps...
Last edited by heminder at Aug 6, 2008,
Try both guitar before buying , because the neck is very different!
I would take the SL3 if I were you .
Current Gear:
Jackson DK2L
Cort X-2 LH
Bandit 112 80w
Quote by gardon
Had I only wanted the one genre, would the Schetcher have been the choice? Is that because it's better suited to that genre, or just because it would save me money?

SL3. soloists are awesome for everything.

that would be your best bet, or you could do the Schecter C-1 FR. you do NOT want active pickups.

remember; i play lead and dont use a whammy bar. im going to use a Schaller 456 on my new guitar. ill post you the equivelent of the FR with a fixed bridge.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Blackjack-Electric-Guitar?sku=518480

they dont have the c-1 fr without active pickups though. oh well.

this is the jackson though.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SL3-Soloist-Electric-Guitar?sku=512237

heres a good FR.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=515738
i own a jackson and have played a shecter and you can't go wrong with either one i don't know about shecters but jacksons have24 frets whitch is good for metal
Quote by jacksonaxe09
i own a jackson and have played a shecter and you can't go wrong with either one i don't know about shecters but jacksons have24 frets whitch is good for metal

Both have 24 frets
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
I just don't like the color of the Jackson. ****. I do like the ibanez though...
Quote by gardon
I just don't like the color of the Jackson. ****. I do like the ibanez though...

theres more than one color you know.

what kind of feel on the neck do you want?
See I don't really know. It's been years, and even then I was a novice. I guess whatever neck came with it I could deal with because I wouldn't know any different.
Quote by gardon
See I don't really know. It's been years, and even then I was a novice. I guess whatever neck came with it I could deal with because I wouldn't know any different.

well you should get a cheap guitar and relearn and learn the differences before spending so much money.