Page 1 of 2
i have a JCM2000. but i chose to try recording the beginnings of a song today on my MG...i have REALLY nice settings on the drive channel. using a jackson rr24.
and i used the emulated LINE OUT! into my recording unit, into a PA for playback
and i can honestly say the overdrive was crushing lol..i prefered it over my ****ty tsl recording..with, quick EQ, bad micing job, ect...but anyways, u can salvage pretty good tone if needed from these things. no pro, but pretty good
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
This thread is preparing to fail. Better get your flameshield ready...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
You can get a good tone out of anything if you try.....Here comes the bandwagon of haters over the hil, run.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
i know someone who has an MG100DFX...
i wasn't keen on the tone...
thought it lacked something...

whatever works for you, though...
lol, im serious man...it sounded pretty good. as horrible as they usually are
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Well, if you put a clip up, we can tell you if it's crushing or not.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ya, heminder they usually suck ass..i hated mine for a LONG TIME.
but i go gain at 3 oclock, bass between 2 and 3 oclock, contour and highs at either 12 or 1.
with an EMG81 in the bridge, and line out..the line out is key. they sound like garbage with a mic on them.line out FTW lol......no 100% pro, but not too shabby
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

when i clean it up a bit i'll see if i can.but i have uber slow inet, and i would have go into my computer, convert the format..ect..

EDIT..I tried recording with my jcm..i hated it. mind u, i went with a sm58 straight into the recorder. and it was hard to get any treble from it without sounding fizzy. maybe svetlana tubes are the cause though..and i could only get the master volume up to half, channel volume cranked...guy below me, ur right.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Last edited by wyldeshredder at Aug 6, 2008,
the tsl isnt too good for recording. its muddy enough at high volumes and at low its not much better. The mg should beat it at recording at low volumes.

Im not entirely keen of the jcm 2000 series.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I had a 30 as my first amp.

I took it out a few weeks ago and if you slather on a little reverb, I salvaged a legit good Slash tone with my Les Paul.
I've learned to ignore all the haters. It doesnt compete with anythign tube, but it's okay for a budget solid state.
Quote by wyldeshredder
i have a JCM2000. but i chose to try recording the beginnings of a song today on my MG...i have REALLY nice settings on the drive channel. using a jackson rr24.
and i used the emulated LINE OUT! into my recording unit, into a PA for playback
and i can honestly say the overdrive was crushing lol..i prefered it over my ****ty tsl recording..with, quick EQ, bad micing job, ect...but anyways, u can salvage pretty good tone if needed from these things. no pro, but pretty good

i prefer my valvestate to my jcm2000. its crazy
Don't clean it up, just convert it and upload it.

And unless it's an 9 minute clip, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, even with slow internet. I have dialup.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by JMTrio134
I had a 30 as my first amp.

I took it out a few weeks ago and if you slather on a little reverb, I salvaged a legit good Slash tone with my Les Paul.
I've learned to ignore all the haters. It doesnt compete with anythign tube, but it's okay for a budget solid state.

your sig links anger me
k.will try to convert tomorrow
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

If you think your MG sounds good, good for you for not joining the bandwagon.

Is a MG better than a JCM2000, hell no, but its not as bad as people try to make it. Its the player, not the amp. A good player will sound good through any amp. I guarantee at least half of the people who continuously bash MG's would not be able to tell an MG and JCM2000 side by side.
I'm not a fan of the MG series personally but in all honesty they are NOT bad amps. I think the reason why people hate them so much is the name "Marshall" on a solid state that just doesn't live up to its valve brothers and the price tag is a bit high for an average SS amp.
I've flamed for a long time... but honestly unless you krank em, the MGs arent the end of the world. I prefer other amplifiers within the price range however
That being said I do not like any of these newer marshalls... the JCM2000 sounds too modern for me... and the JVMs have all these options that are useless because you could get a better tone with a 2 channel amp and manipulate your guitars volume for lower gain... God it seems like people pay way more than they should for the name... I could also get a splawn for the price of a JVM
Quote by wyldeshredder
EDIT..I tried recording with my jcm..i hated it. mind u, i went with a sm58 straight into the recorder.

There's your problem.

Try at least a 57 or an instrument mic. 58s are primarily vocals only.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Agreed, I just hate MG's simply because there are far better amps in the same price range. And true, its the player not the amp. I've got a friend who plays through the 100 watt half stack mg and dispite his tone being ....bad.... he can still create things with a guitar that I wish I could do in a million years.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by StriferDiem
There's your problem.

Try at least a 57 or an instrument mic. 58s are primarily vocals only.

Yeah, a 57 into a PREAMP then into your recording thing would be the best way to do it. Most people take the recording interface for granted.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Highwaytohell
That being said I do not like any of these newer marshalls... the JCM2000 sounds too modern for me... and the JVMs have all these options that are useless because you could get a better tone with a 2 channel amp and manipulate your guitars volume for lower gain... God it seems like people pay way more than they should for the name... I could also get a splawn for the price of a JVM

The JVMs are actually the only amp from Marshall that I really like lol. I'll admit that the JVM410 is a bit overkill with its four channels, each having three different modes. But the JVM205 is perfect... I would take it over a Splawn any day!
Good for you! No, really! They aren't horrible, although I'm not a fan of the pricing for the bigger amps, but if you can get a useable tone that you like, be proud of yourself. 90% of the people listening to you won't really care about your guitar tone, if the rest of the mix is well balanced. Brian May from Queen recorded some songs with a transistor radio he got out of a dumpster, and plugged his guitar into.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Good for you! No, really! They aren't horrible, although I'm not a fan of the pricing for the bigger amps, but if you can get a useable tone that you like, be proud of yourself. 90% of the people listening to you won't really care about your guitar tone, if the rest of the mix is well balanced. Brian May from Queen recorded some songs with a transistor radio he got out of a dumpster, and plugged his guitar into.

You don't have to be such an ass

Besides, I would never buy one because of the same reason you mentioned - I'm not into buying overpriced equipment... however if someone walked up and said you can have any amp for free I would take the JVM.

And I couldn't care less about what people think of my tone... If I did I would have pitched the DigiTech Death Metal distortion years ago - my tone is my tone and I don't care what anyone has to say about it lol.

Are you sure about the transistor radio thing?? Because I know he did record a lot of their songs on a crappy 15w 1x8 combo lol.
^What 15W amp are you talking about? Rein is right about the transistor amp. He's referring to the famed Deacy amp, that John Deacon found in the trash and rebuilt.

Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, a 57 into a PREAMP then into your recording thing would be the best way to do it. Most people take the recording interface for granted.

Tell me more about this preamp. Is it always necessary? I'm using a Mixer.
Are they still good if you bought it as you're first amp for less than half price?
Post up 2 clips, unnamed, and not hinting at which they are. One of the TSL, and one of the MG. We'll tell you which is crushing.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
You dont need to get an mg to get decent recording tone...you'll probably get better tone with a direct out pedal..
My friend who has a huge studio, and whose dad works in the industry, records with his MG combo. I made fun of him but I can honestly say his recordings sound good. Of course, he does record with vintage Les Pauls...
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Phazer
i prefer my valvestate to my jcm2000. its crazy

ya know, i have the AVT150H through a MC 2X12 cabinet... Sounds actually really, REALLY good with a boss GE-7 in front.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You don't have to be such an ass

I think he was referring to the OP, not you
Just because he happened to post under you doesn't mean it was directed at you I think he was being genuine, not trying to 'be an ass'
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Ralph Napier
ya know, i have the AVT150H through a MC 2X12 cabinet... Sounds actually really, REALLY good with a boss GE-7 in front.

You do know that a marshall MG 2x12 doesnt exist?
It's called the MC 212.
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MC%20Series
Even marshall calls them entry level cabinets.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=ExtCabs&pageType=SPECS
Those are the nice ones.
1936 is the real marshall 2x12.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I think you get tone where you find it. If McDonald's packaged a cheap plastic amp in a Happy Meal and it gave you the tone you're looking for, that's all that matters. I have no hate for any amp, I have amps that I prefer, but UG can get a little obsessed with branding.
TS, with my (M)G50 i would use the line out because the speaker was so bad.

that's also helping your cause here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well thats pretty awesome that you got a tone out of it that you liked. its kinda like the spider amps, you tweak enough and you'll get a sound that is good.

i still want a tube or higher end solid state....
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by rhettro
I think you get tone where you find it. If McDonald's packaged a cheap plastic amp in a Happy Meal and it gave you the tone you're looking for, that's all that matters. I have no hate for any amp, I have amps that I prefer, but UG can get a little obsessed with branding.

pfff i could care less about branding as long as it's fender
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Page 1 of 2