My 18th bday is on August 14th and I want an all-tube amplifier.

My music taste: I LOVE Guns n' Roses. I love classic rock in general too. Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith. The heaviest I would get is Velvet Revolver and Metallica. So I need an amp that can do great on classic rock from Hendrix to say heavy as AC/DC, Velvet Revolver. I don't play Metallica too much so metal sound is not important.

I'm not in a band, I just want a kick ass all-tube amp cuz I played thru one and I have no patience to own one. I currently have a Vox Valvetronix 50 watt amp. Great amp and lots of diff sound, but it sounds "digital" if you ask me. I need an amp that's rich and creamy but also has a superb chunky overdrive.

Price range: $600-$1000?

******I WILL BUY A TS9 TUBESCREAMER PEDAL WITH WHATEVER AMP BELOW!!!****

1. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - I played through it, AMAZING CLEAN SOUND, overdrive is warm and fat but not too heavy. Can this amp even with an overdrive pedal play GnR AC/DC, Velvet Revolver stuff? Answer me on this one

2. Peavey Classic 30 - Never tried it but many people say it is great for classic rock. I heard some on youtube, and I was impressed with the fat overdrive this amp delivers.

3. Fender Blues Junior - My friend who has a standard Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall DSL100 half stack recently bought this amp for blues playing. He recommended me this one with an overdrive pedal. He even played some stuff and this little amp kicks ass, it was a beast.

4. Used Fender Supersonic 112 ($849) - Basically a Hot Rod Deluxe on steriods. Amazing amp bar none.

Those 4 amps are in my mind. I know of the Laneys and whole bunch of other tube amps that are great, but these 4 are in my mind. Supersonic might be a little too expensive but I might get it.

Please tell me what you think, and answer any questions that I have ^^^^
What's your budget?

EDIT: Sorry, I just now saw it.

Look at a used or new Traynor YCV50BLUE.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^Almost every band he listed plays Marshall amps. What is he going to do with a Fender amp that only has good cleans? Just because you're happy with it doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
In my opinion the SuperSonic is about the best amp on the market today. It's very versatile and sounds killer without pedals. That being said, for the money I'd look at one of the 40-50 watt Traynors. You can pick them up for $300 or so on Ebay and they are GREAT tube amps. I've owned the 40 and 50 watt versions and they were both excellent amps. The only reason they are gone is because I found a SuperSonic at a great price.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Almost every band he listed plays Marshall amps. What is he going to do with a Fender amp that only has good cleans? Just because you're happy with it doesn't mean it's for everyone.

I don't have $$ to get those Marshall amps. Fender amps are great...but that's why I said I'd get a tubescreamer with w.e I get so I can get a better overdrive.

The first kid that replied told me 2 get a used jcm800 combo amp (great idea). But theyre not easy 2 find and I'd rather try amps before buying them.
Either the Peavey Classic or a Traynor YCV
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^^^Which is why i told you to get that Traynor. The YCV50BLUE is quite Marshall sounding. It'll be a lot better than a HRD.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
the first three that I'm going to Suggest to you are all very similar amps
1. (Used) Marshall JCM800
2. (Used) Marshall JCM900
(a JCM900 is like a Doctored JCM800 but it's like a High Gain version of the JCM800)
3. (Used) Marshall JCM2000
(I honestly JUST bought myself a used Marshall JCM2000 off of Craigslist for $750, & I really couldn't be happier with that amp. I can get so many great sounds out of it...and I just really love that head.....and I read the instructions manual to the JCM2000 & the vibe I got out of it was that Marshall was aiming to capture both the JCM800 and the JCM900 into one and then get more out of it....)

4. Peavey Butcher (the Butcher is Peavey's answer to the Marshall JCM800....& I've only Actually come across one of these heads in real life, & I really liked it when I did see one of these in real life, I loved the way it sounded & just generally behaved...and I've read a lot about them and *IF* you do start looking around in Music Stores/Pawn Shops/Craigslist/etc...I Recommend that you buy it...

5. a 5150 Head (That includes ALL three; the Peavey 5150 I, the Peavey 5150 II, the "EVH" 5250 III...)
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
If you like guns n roses and acdc you really want to get yourself a good marshall.
Quote by al112987
A JCM800 2204 or JCM2000 DSL50 would probably be best for you.

They're under $1,000? If so, I assume they are heads and I would have to spend more for a cab.
You can find a used DSL50 head for a fair price. Probably around $700-$800. A 2x12 Avatar cabinet can be had for around $300+shipping. They're good cabs, use quality speakers and are very affordable.

Get the amp and the cab and get a tube screamer later. You don't really need one for the tones you are looking for.
Traynor YCV50... Those things have real marshally bite... morso than any modern marshall in my opinion...

Good cleans too...
A DSL50 with a 2x12 avatar cab = $1200 about? Wow...ur givin me chils, I never thought I'd be able to find an affordable marshall all-tube amps.
Its definitely worth it to spend that extra to get to the next level. I usually hate on the JCM2000 series but the DSL50 and 100 are actually great amps.
What if I get a used Fender Supersonic 112? Its 60 watts of all tube power and it should handle 60s 70s and 80s rock really well + it has amazing cleans.
I can't speak on the Supersonic in particular, but Fenders are not voiced for what you're looking to play. You'll need an amp with a british voiced crunch.

The supersonic supposedly breaks up fairly early, but regardless, voicing is more important than gain.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 7, 2008,
I've played them at guitar center. It was basically a hot rod deluxe on steriods. The overdrive was much heavier than the Hot Rod or any typical Fender all tube amp.

I know marshalls have the best sound I'm looking for. But when I say my price range is $600-$1000...I mean I can finance it, not actually pay up front.

$849 Fender Supersonic used I found at my local guitar center and I was very very impressed with it. One problem is that it might be too loud for bedroom volume.

Dsl50s or even jcm800s are not that easy to find...if I can find a used jcm800 or dsl50 or w.e head at guitar center I'll definitely buy it (considering the head is around $800 and 2x12 cab for $300 as u said).
^I wouldn't call the supersonic a Hot Rod on steroids at all. It seems to be its own beast. Two very nice, but different clean channels, and one OD channel that seemed to be shooting for high gain territory. I wasn't at all impressed with that side of the amp, but the cleans were very nice. That said,

I understand you can't afford a Marshall, which is why I've mentioned more than once the Traynor YCV50BLUE. It's the best Marshall sound in the price range, really. I'm not sure if you're biased against Traynor or just haven't read my posts, but please check out the Traynor YCV50BLUE.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
My vote is classic 30 with the tube screamer, you will love that combo man.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

If your not allergic to the word "Traynor", try the YCV50... Once you mess with it for a while, it will go home with you. They're like blondes...
Quote by al112987
A JCM800 2204 or JCM2000 DSL50 would probably be best for you.

That
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I strongly second the Traynor YCV50 recommendation.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.