I'm conisdering saving up to buy a Bogner Uberschall head, because I love the tone that Avenged Sevenfold gets out of theirs. Is it worth going for, or are there other tube heads that can get a good A7X-like tone?

PS- I don't know if there's an A7X preset on the Line 6 Spider Valve, but if there is, please don't reccomend it.
Don't spend 2 grand on a Bogner to get a ****ty emo-metal tone...

No offense, you might like Avenged Sevenfold, but their tone sounds like ****.
a7x have terrible tone. engl se FTW but dont spend so much get a laney vh100 and a tokai ls125 and you are in tone heaven for under a 3grand (US)
Quote by al112987

I know it's a lot of money. That's why I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. What I'm looking for is a tone similar to the solos. I agree that the chord tones suck.

I'm not gonna make a comeback about you not liking their tone, though, just because that's your opinion. For example, my opinion is that Marshall has lacked in quality on most of their heads since the early version of the JCM2000
Last edited by LukeBTH at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by LukeBTH
For example, my opinion is that Marshall has lacked in quality on most of their heads since the early version of the JCM2000

Haha, try since after putting out the original JCM 800s.....
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Haha, try since after putting out the original JCM 800s.....

The 900 was a good amp
Dude, seriously try a bogner before buying it..I mean give it a good few hours road testing in a store first. I wouldn't buy an amp to sound like someone else though, because aside from it being better to have your own sound, their playing, attack and other effects..not to mention studio eq-ing and recording will heavily influence their tone.

I could never say its too much money.b.ecause its worth it if you love it..and other than a few sort of exceptions, you very much get what you pay for..

Oh and Marshalls..that new vintage classic one sounds awesome...and as much as the laney vh is a decent amp..I can;t believed someone offered it as a suggestion against a bogner haha.

Other things to try could be Deizel...the vh4 ...mesa rec...engl...or a hughes and kettner triamp. Oh or maybe that Fender EVH head...tasty

Good luck man
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
Quote by LukeBTH
I know it's a lot of money. That's why I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. What I'm looking for is a tone similar to the solos. I agree that the chord tones suck.

I'm not gonna make a comeback about you not liking their tone, though, just because that's your opinion. For example, my opinion is that Marshall has lacked in quality on most of their heads since the early version of the JCM2000

I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm just saying, Avenged Sevenfold does not have good tone, and its in your best interest to not spend a lot of money trying to duplicate it.

As for Marshalls, I agree. Outside of select models, I think their post JMP-2203 models are quite mediocre.

How much are you willing to spend?
Quote by Bigdave9576
Dude, sriously try a bogner before buying it..I mean give it a good few hours road testing in a store first. I wouldn't buy an amp to sound like someone else though, because aside from it being better to have your own sound, their playing, attack and other effects..not to mention studio eq-ing and recording will heavily influence their tone.

I could never say its too much money..ecause its worth it if you love it..and good stuff costs lots of cash.

Oh and Marshalls..that new vintage classic one sounds awesome...and as much as the laney vh is a decent amp..I can;t believed someone offered it as a suggestion against a bogner haha.

Other things to try could be Deizel...the vh4 ...mesa rec...engl...or a hughes and kettner triamp.

Good luck man

This is probably the best response I've ever gotten on UG.

Like I said, though, I don't want to emulate their tone 110%. I just want a lead tone that is in your face like theirs is. I'm thinking about a Dual Rectifier Roadster and a VHT Sig:X also, but VHT has no dealers anywhere near where I live. I thought about a Marshall JVM for a while, but the distortion sounded fuzzy on the Guitar World demo of it.
Quote by al112987
I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm just saying, Avenged Sevenfold does not have good tone, and its in your best interest to not spend a lot of money trying to duplicate it.

As for Marshalls, I agree. Outside of select models, I think their post JMP-2203 models are quite mediocre.

How much are you willing to spend?

I know you're not trying to be an ass. But I want a lead tone that just jumps out like theirs does.

As for price range, the most I'm willing to spend is about $2800 for the head. My top choices other than the Uberschall are the VHT Sig:X, Framus Cobra, and the Mesa Dual Rectifier Roadster.
Last edited by LukeBTH at Aug 6, 2008,
Well, if you like modern metal, you really can't get any better than the Mesa Road King. Gets great all around tones as well.

But as always, try before you buy.
Oh I totally forgot about VHT...thats an awesome choice too. Never heard the Framus though...

now you got me thinking about a new amp...damnit..haha
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
Quote by al112987

umm WTF A7X are the farthest thing from EMO metal. NOW, there just hard rock, no emo, they never were, so stfu.

and no one here except one damn person is helping the TS. god shut the hell up and help him out. you hate their tone but theres obviously something that the TS likes about it.

TS, getting a Bogner like Brian may be a bit extreme, especially because of the price. there are other good versatile metal amps that can pull off his tone. you just need a lot of treble. A LOT. his solo tone is very bright and sort of tinny, but i think it sounds good. try out a few Peaveys or maybe Marshall, or ENGL, or Mesa. if you can get his tone with a different amp, that could possibly be cheaper, whats the sense in gettin the same thing he has?

Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 7, 2008,