well my guitar sits next to my bed and one day when my girl and I were fooling around my foot hit it and knocked it over and cracked the next in half. I've decided to see if I can find a replacement neck and I thought while I was doing this I'd upgrade my pickups from the stock ones that are in it now. I was thinking about some EMG's becasue I hear they're good for metal and that's what I like to play. So I was wondering which ones should I get? and what's the difference between the EMG 81's and 89's? and also is it difficult to change pickups? I've never done this before but I want to do it myself so I don't have to pay anyone to do it. Since it would probably be beneficial for you guys to know what guitar I plan to do this with I have an Ibanez RG5EX1 So if you guys could help me with any good places to find replacement necks, help with what pickups to get and how to switch them out it would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think you're the only person on the planet who is worried about how mainstream muffins are.
A new neck and EMG's will cost more than a new decent Ibanez. EMG's use a 9volt battery, you will have to drill a slot for the 9volt. If you've never messed with electronics before, you won't be able to do it.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
ahh alright thanks but you think I should get a different pickup then? maybe a seymour duncan SH-4? how much do you think a new neck would cost? oh and when I said EMG 89's I acutally meant 85's I just couldn't remember

I really want to do this mostly cause I've never done it before and since I injured myself this year and can't play football I have nothing to do with my time.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think you're the only person on the planet who is worried about how mainstream muffins are.
Last edited by Metallica Fan21 at Aug 6, 2008,
EMGs will suit you fine, I'm not really the person to ask... You can always have a shop change the pickups, about the 9volt, your guitar might have enough room in the back panel for it.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
okay, is it the whole pickup and then a 9v behind it aswell? cause if I knew the size of the EMG I could measure and see if it would fit or not?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
This isn't really any help..but when he said the neck and the emgs will cost you more then the decent Ibanez, you do mean because of the neck right? EMGs are like 90 a pickup arn't they, but arn't necks like 200++? sorry, im just wondering too. was gonna convert my 6 string to a 7string.
Quote by Metallica Fan21
okay, is it the whole pickup and then a 9v behind it aswell? cause if I knew the size of the EMG I could measure and see if it would fit or not?

EMGs are the same size as any other humbucker.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
EMGs are the same size as any other humbucker.

they're the same depth wise? so I guess I would need to see if there would be anyroom for a 9v. but still just in case there isn't what kind of pickups would you guys suggest seymour duncans or dimarzio? and what model?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Metallica Fan21
they're the same depth wise? so I guess I would need to see if there would be anyroom for a 9v. but still just in case there isn't what kind of pickups would you guys suggest seymour duncans or dimarzio? and what model?

well, what tone are you going for, have any bands that you listen too? probably metallica, I dont listen to them, but if its any new bands, I probably can help you, because im in the process of looking up pickups for my guitar.
Quote by roguearthur
well, what tone are you going for, have any bands that you listen too? probably metallica, I dont listen to them, but if its any new bands, I probably can help you, because im in the process of looking up pickups for my guitar.

yea metalica obviously haha but I mostly listen to Lamb of God and killswitch engage I like metal and I would like some pickups that could handle metal but I like some older classic rock and things like AC/DC, pink floyd, ozzy, sabbath things like that.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Metallica Fan21

the 9v sits in its own cavity, or maybe in your current control cavity if you have any. it doesn't sit behind/under the pickup

Quote by Metallica Fan21
well my guitar sits next to my bed and one day when my girl and I were fooling around my foot hit it and knocked it over and cracked the next in half.

am i the only one that thought that was funny?
Quote by CapnMudGuru
the 9v sits in its own cavity, or maybe in your current control cavity if you have any. it doesn't sit behind/under the pickup

Oh okay then. Where is the cavity usually located?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Metallica Fan21
Oh okay then. Where is the cavity usually located?

on the back of the guitar or under a pickguard if there is one.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
you could always check ebay for some necks, or some ****ty ibanez and steal that neck, but then you gotta worry about the quality...

with emg isn't there almost no soldering involved in these, don't you just attached everything? Meh but you'll still have to unsolder everything else. Although I guess always just cut the wires and pull out the original electronics since you wont be using any of it... Seems kinda like a waste but oh well
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
you could always check ebay for some necks, or some ****ty ibanez and steal that neck, but then you gotta worry about the quality...

with emg isn't there almost no soldering involved in these, don't you just attached everything? Meh but you'll still have to unsolder everything else. Although I guess always just cut the wires and pull out the original electronics since you wont be using any of it... Seems kinda like a waste but oh well

yea I found a neck on ebay but my dad's being weird and keeps showin me necks from a carvin catalouge he doesn't understand that I really liked the way the neck I have felt before it broke. It's one of those wizard II's or whatever it's called here's the link to the one I found on ebay.

EMG's don't require any soldering? that's interesting. you said that I could just cut the wires and pull out the original electronics and it seems kida like a waste? well what else could I do with them?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Sell them, keep them for a custom build, pretty much anything within reason.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
the stuff about not having to wire the emgs is only true if you already have emgs or SD live wires or blackouts, they have a universal quick connect. Ibanez doesn't use those, so you would have to soder. you can probably fith the battery in the control cavity, the one on mine is pretty big
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
okay cool thanks that sounds good
Quote by Jack Off Jill
i wouldnt get emgs if i were u. if u acdc floyd and sabath like u said then emgs arent the right thing to do. they are almost strictly metal
You do need to solder to put in EMG's. Its just you can change pickups easily with the quick-connect system after you've them installed.

And you won't need to route anything out - the battery will fit in the contol cavity easily...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
okay then what pickups would you suggest then? what has a more "all around" sound?
Quote by Jack Off Jill