Poll: Lessons or Self taught?
Poll Options
View poll results: Lessons or Self taught?
Lessons
69 33%
Self Taught
137 67%
Voters: 206.
Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering how many of you actually had lessons. I once tried to teach my self but it didn't work out because I couldn't really find any good books or anything... So I got lessons. If you are self taught how did you do it?
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy.
I took lessons for 5 years and I'm a good guitar player but I don't know shit about theory...
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Quote by Maidenfan066
I took lessons for 5 years and I'm a good guitar player but I don't know shit about theory...

Yeah that is pretty much how it is for me except I've only had lessons for ~2.5 years..
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy.
I did lessons, quit, then my guitar player friend taught me most of what i know.

I play bass by the way
I had lessons for a year and a half. They helped a lot, but I quit taking them because the teacher didn't know what else to teach me... he wasn't really into theory O_o
i took about 3 lessons when i 1st started. but apart from that ive been self taught.. what i done was sat and learn al the easy stuff like blink 182 and greenday ect (that was preffered style of music back then anyway).
ive taken lessons for the majority of my time playing guitar, but i recently stopped going because i cant afford it anymore. im gonna go self taught for a while and maybe if i can afford it again i'll go back
I learned for 9 months on my own.
Went to classes for one year. Stopped going.

But my teacher was awful. Basically, he wouldn't teach theory, wouldn't fix bad habits... He would simply teach songs. So I picked self taught since I teach myself all what I know.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I hate lessons. Really.

They take away the entire aspect of having your own sound and technique. But you'll have to teach yourself theory, that's the only downside. And most teachers are stuck up classical player who think if you can't finger an E#m9 on your first day, you're a lost cause.

I voted self taught.
I learned techniques and all that stuff on my own, I just started going to lessons and my teacher thought I knew what I was doing so far so we've just been doing theory, analyzing songs and improv.

The lessons helped me improve 100 times faster than I would've without them
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
i took band in middle school, so i learned a lot of theory, and in seventh grade, i picked up a guitar and started playing chords, then hopped on the web and learned everything else by reading around. i've never had a guitar lesson in my life, and i would consider myself a skilled player.
95% self taught. Self taught from the beginning, had some lessons for two months at some time but I stopped.
all self taught so far
i just umm....play songs to get better
and i take the occasional theory lesson on the internet
Quote by OrangePossum
Yep, it's Soviet UG versus bdfs05.

good luck.

Quote by bdfs05
fuck yea i got sigged

Quote by MyNameIsLame

When you're in the Pit, substitute any valid, reasonable answer with one of the following: fap, smoke pot, drink alcohol, rape, and/or murder.
Quote by foob85
I hate lessons. Really.

They take away the entire aspect of having your own sound and technique. But you'll have to teach yourself theory, that's the only downside. And most teachers are stuck up classical player who think if you can't finger an E#m9 on your first day, you're a lost cause.

I voted self taught.

Heh my teacher is not like that at all. He is real nice. He is into metal and he knows a lot about theory since he went to college for it.
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I took one months worth of lessons afer playing for 1 1/2 years. I prefer teaching myself.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by sg dude 38
i took band in middle school, so i learned a lot of theory, and in seventh grade, i picked up a guitar and started playing chords, then hopped on the web and learned everything else by reading around. i've never had a guitar lesson in my life, and i would consider myself a skilled player.

Story of my life, spot on.
Quote by foob85
I hate lessons. Really.

I voted self taught.

my teacher is awesome and only teach you what you want to know. and he knows alot of theory. he is also a very good jazz player

if you never played a musical instrument then defiantly take lessons
d[(x)(x)]b

Quote by TomD03

we'd sit in the basement and i'd do a little "I'll show u mine if you show me yours" so i had 3 baby vaginas staring at me

R.I.P. Billy Mays
Last edited by shrdtilyourdead at Aug 6, 2008,
taught on classical guitar and jazz drums..self taught on electric and rock drums as well as bass and piano. all i found was it takes longer to learn things yourself and there are more holes in your knowledge (but this was before the internet took off). All this lessons take away your sound or identity is bull****e
Self-taught for all 2 years I've been playing. I know some theory and am studying jazz theory right now. Theory 2 isn't until spring semester, so I've got some time to dig into my jazz studies before having to go back to the old restrictive rules they use for us theory noobs in school... Of course, my personal compositions are another story
Anyway, I got away with it because I had a good idea of the goals for my playing. My goals have changed over time, but I'm pretty good about working towards those goals and I found some good resources for teaching myself at first (way past the beginner books by now though).
Bassoon is a different story, though. I've been taking lessons 5 of the 7 years I've been playing.
I probably should start reading a large book I got on guitar and learn chords however I am 100% Self Taught on guitar, drums, keys, and vocals...and recording since thats a skill in itself....IMO
I've taken lessons for 2 years. My first teacher taught me a lot of different things like theory, sight reading, improv and quite a bit more. my new teacher is a jazz guy so i'm learning about shell voicings, sight reading and improv. my first teacher was great. I only stopped going to him because he taught me everything he knew(his words)
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
I self taught how to play for like 4 months, then once I was relatively an okay player I started lessons for theory and stuff.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
imo, the only way you're self taught is if you were shut in your basement at the age of 2 with nothing but a guitar. that's an extreme example of course, but what i mean is that if you're coming on ug or reading music books and looking up the tabs to every song you play, i wouldn't really consider that 'self-taught'. just....book taught. i guess my definition of it isn't very solid, and i suppose you are teaching yourself, but the term just doesn't seem appropriate to me.

i played without a teacher for the first couple years. i picked stuff up from friends, anybody around who could play, tabs, books, etc. when i was at a fairly decent level, my parents were convinced i was dedicated enough and decided to pay for my lessons. i'm happy with the way i did it, that way i knew that i was truly into playing, and i didn't jump into lessons straight away and always have that kind of 'forced' thing behind it.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Taught myself rock and metal but I got lessons for jazz (more theory based than instrumental based). I'm not taking lessons at the moment but I will be going studying jazz full on in college.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
99.9999% self taught that other .0000001% was lessons that I didn't learn much but how to read tabs (which isn't that hard) and how to play power chords. Otherwise I taught myself ever other technique...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
When I was 10, my mom's friend gave me a free one sesssion guitar lesson. Learned the chords E and A.

Then I bought a guitar, searched guitar lessons online. Weirdly, UG was one of the results. Clicked on it, clicked the lessons, and studied. Now I'm such an awesome guitarist.

CAN IMPROVISE AND CAN DO TAPPING AND OTHER STUFF.

Self-taught FTW!
I am self taught for a year, i'm not bad but not as good as i would like to be.
I am signing up for lessons within about a week though
I have been taking lessons for about 2 years but the first year of playing was just me baby
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
Self Taught.
Unless you have a great teacher, then you may develop habits that he/she has. My buddy took lessons at Long n Mcquade. The teacher there was just awful though and my buddy's form wasn't very good, as a result of following the instructors suggestion. However, most teachers know what they are doing. Just my two cents.
Took lessons for a year but got fed up and went out to kick aS* on my own
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
I taught myself a few chords, got a teacher who taught me all about scales and using chord shapes and how to work out songs, and then quit guitar lessons due to year 12 at school. Now i just teach myself songs... but i voted lessons on the poll.
Took lessons for about a year, been self teaching myself for around 2 more. Thinking into getting back into lessons.
I've never had a lesson in my life.
I basically brought a chord book, found a song I wanted to learn and pow.
(:
Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.
i was taught how to play a bad version of Smoke On the Water, apart from that it's all self taught.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Both
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
i take my Highschool lessons but nothing outside of school. It seems to me that people with lessons tend to have a better knowledge of theory, but the self taughters have there own unique rythm
Page 1 of 2