So I recently bought a guitar, I have been looking for songs that I want to learn, but some look ridiculous. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for songs to learn as a beginner.
dammit - blink 182

all apologies - nirvana

enter sandman - metallica

a favor house atlantic - coheed and cambria
modern rock and punk stuff in standard tuning is the way to go!

all the small things - blink 182
holiday - green day
brain stew - green day

to name a few, and anything by the ramones.
paranoid-black sabbath, fun and easy,solo is very easy too

symphony of destruction-megadeth,a really great song,the chorus may look intimidating but just set your hands up like chord shapes and it is super easy,dont attempt the solo if your a novice
Quote by one987654321
paranoid-black sabbath, fun and easy,solo is very easy too

symphony of destruction-megadeth,a really great song,the chorus may look intimidating but just set your hands up like chord shapes and it is super easy,dont attempt the solo if your a novice

and a staple beginner song. can't believe i forgot that.

sabbath stuff is good for beginners too. iron man, neon knights, etc.

EDIT: megadeth stuff is good as well!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846398

All the beginner songs you can dream of. Besides a lot of the songs these people are suggesting are hard for someone just starting. His/her fingers aren't strong, who knows if they can do powerchords....I see a lot of people struggle with them their first few months.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by Ze_Metal
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846398

All the beginner songs you can dream of. Besides a lot of the songs these people are suggesting are hard for someone just starting. His/her fingers aren't strong, who know is they can do powerchords....I see a lot of people struggle with them their first few months.

no they're not. powerchords are a great beginner technique.
My first song that I actually completely mastered was:
Everything Evil by Coheed and Cambria. It was my reasoning to pick up a guitar and I just put time and dedication into learning it, I just finished the other day, it is the only "FULL" song I know. I know parts to many songs, a lot by Coheed as they are my favourite band, but am working on some others as well as writing my own.
Quote by jess2112
no they're not. powerchords are a great beginner technique.

No they aren't - in the greater scheme of things they should come after barre chords.

I haven't seen a single song listed in this thread that I'd class as a "beginner" song, you all need to remind yourselves exactly how hard things were when you were just starting.

TS, start with songs that use simple chords - here's a few to look at

Here's a few

Bad Moon Rising, Creedence Clearwater Revival - D A G
Knocking on Heaven's Door, Bob Dylan - G D Am7 C
Rockin in the Free World, Neil Young - E D C G Em A
Hey Joe, Jimi Hendrix - C G D A E
Wild Thing, The Troggs - A D E G
Live Forever, Oasis - G D Am7 C Fmaj7 Em
Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Poison - G C D Em Cadd9
Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison - G C D Em D7
Same Jeans, The View - C F G F#
Highway to Hell, AC/DC - A D G F E plus a couple of variations
...and anything by Johnny Cash!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
No they aren't - in the greater scheme of things they should come after barre chords.

I haven't seen a single song listed in this thread that I'd class as a "beginner" song, you all need to remind yourselves exactly how hard things were when you were just starting.

+1
Well before you try to tackle a song you should practice a basic power chord to get your fingers stronger.

Then from there try playing some Green Day and Ramones stuff. Its all centered around a basic pattern.
Omgwtfbbq
Here's my list, I think it really helps you progress if you learn these songs (but this is IMHO, so take it with a grain of salt):
- War Pigs - Black Sabbath
- Ironman - Black Sabbath
- Paranoid - Black Sabbath
- Exo-Politics - Muse
- Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
- One (up to the darkness part if you can) - Metallica
- Enter Sandman - Metallica
- ...And Justice for All - Metallica
- (intro to) Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
- Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
- Highway Star - Deep Purple
- Crazy Train - Ozzy (it's a bit more intermediate but once you get some more practice under your belt it shouldn't be that hard)
- Laid To Rest - Lamb of God (a good song to learn how to tune to Drop D)
- Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
- (lots of practice needed to get this) Master of Puppets - Metallica
- Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
- Foreplay/Long Time - Boston

There are some others, i'll list them if I remember them. xD

Good luck and have fun!
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

^seriously, can you actually remember what starting the guitar was like?

Quote by Zertuche
Well before you try to tackle a song you should practice a basic power chord to get your fingers stronger.

Then from there try playing some Green Day and Ramones stuff. Its all centered around a basic pattern.

No, you should practice basic open chords - not only are you using all your fingers but holding down static chord shapes near the nut is easier than moving your hands around trying to maintain that two fret interval. Before you worry about moving around the fretboard you need to get the fundamentals down, so get the right hand used to picking and strumming accurately and also in time, whilst the left hand concentrates on fretting cleanly and gradually buidling finger strength and dexterity.

Powerchords are neither the most logical or sensible place to start when you're learning to play the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ Those are all way to hard for him.

Edit: Beat me to it =p

Double Edit: He's just saying those songs are to hard for him to learn, he's not disregarding the fact that some of those songs are good to learn...but not at the time. I didn't learn power chords until about 5 months in. I stuck to reading notes and my very first song were classics like Ode to joy, row row row your boat...that kind of stuff.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
^seriously, can you actually remember what starting the guitar was like?

No, you should practice basic open chords - not only are you using all your fingers but holding down static chord shapes near the nut is easier than moving your hands around trying to maintain that two fret interval.

Powerchords are neither the most logical or sensible place to start when you're learning to play the guitar.

Dude, I honestly don't think it matters, I mean so long as you're learning, who cares the order of what you practice? All the stuff i've learned on guitar so far have been through songs.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Snap017
Dude, I honestly don't think it matters, I mean so long as you're learning, who cares the order of what you practice? All the stuff i've learned on guitar so far have been through songs.

It matters because there's a "path of least resistance" - many things on the guitar are a lot harder to learn if you don't know what comes before, if you try and start inthe middle you only make things harder for yourself in the long run. If you start at the beginning and progress through logically you get better in less time and you also don't look back 2 years down the line and realise there's gaping holes in your knowledge.

Like powerchords - there's absolutely no point making a point of "learning" them because they're just the bottom 2 notes of a chord. For argument's sake, if a new guitarist spends his first month learning powerchords they'll perhaps spend the next month learning some open chords when they're introduced to the concept. However, if a guitarist spends their first month learning open chords, when you introduce them to the concept of powerchords you can just say "A powerchord is the bottom 2 notes of a normal major or minor chord" and explain why they work the way they do with regards to neutral tonality and sounding better with distortion...they've learned them by default. Hey presto, they know exactly the same as, or arguably more than the first guitarist but it's taken half the time to get there...which would you rather do, given the choice?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Definitely the second option. But i'm already down the road on that first choice, so I might as well stay on the road.

Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins
Anything by Bob Dylan
Anything by Neil Young (for starters, try Heart of Gold)
Wonderwall - Oasis
the easyest song in the world has got to be nothing else matters,
i personally started out playing one (my first song to learn) well the intro at least

most of metallica's stuff is simple (not the solos though) and i'd start there, well i did anyway.

also that hey there dellilah song is simple as hell.
Quote by rebornmaster9

Except I believe it uses barre chords.
C'mon guys, dont give him a bone yet. He still has small teeth, hehehe.
Anyway TJohn, The Beatles will work for you for the moment, then you can gradually move on to heavier things.

Good luck!
Quote by rebornmaster9
the easyest song in the world has got to be nothing else matters,
i personally started out playing one (my first song to learn) well the intro at least

most of metallica's stuff is simple (not the solos though) and i'd start there, well i did anyway.

that one's not that easy. maybe intermediate, but not easy.