Page 1 of 4
Whenever I go to guitar stores I always feel like the guys there think I'm some stupid egotistic metal head. I dont know why, they just give me that look. So I usually play some chord melody jazz stuff to get on there good side. Anyone have the same expierence
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
I treat them like crap depending on the vibe I get.

I went to the Long & McQuade in Regina, and this douche with a goatee was acting like... Well, a douche. He had a beat up ISP Decimator, used, for $110. I tried to see if he would lower it, wouldn't. I bought the pedal. Asked him to find me an 8 inch cable or so for my other pedals. He went and got it, said I needed more than one, he went got another one. I said one more and I'll be set. He sighs, and says "why didn't you tell me this before?"

I say "well if you're going to sell me this piece of crap for $110 used, the least I could do is make your ass run around a bit."

Thing is, this Decimator is awesome. >_>

He really gave me this "shut up and buy" attitude.

Another time at the Mother's Music, and Long & McQuade in Saskatoon, the people working there were totally cool, and gave me some kick ass deals. So I was nice to them, and I liked them.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
lol
They like to get made at me when im there for like a long time and they kinda like circle me and just give me evil glares. its kinda fun because isnt that kinda the whole point of having guitars out to play is to play them?!?!
G3AR:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (EMG-81)
Peavey AC BXP-4
Jackson Dinky Reverse (EMG-81)
Gallien-Krueger Backline 112
Peavey Backstage 110
Digitech RP2000

Quote by escalade
lol
They like to get made at me when im there for like a long time and they kinda like circle me and just give me evil glares. its kinda fun because isnt that kinda the whole point of having guitars out to play is to play them?!?!

Well I'd get pissy too if you came in and played guitar and not buy anything.

Any actual paying customer may want the guitar you're playing, and with your ass taking your sweet time, it hold up business. If there's no one around, it's probably just the former.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

All the music stores in Winnipeg are pretty nice and comfortable, everyone's willing to help.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
The only one I've had a real problem with is Mr. Entertainment in Edmonton, and that's just because of one guy. I don't know what I did, but every time I went in there, he treats me like some loser metal head who is just trying out guitars for the lulz.
Not really.

The RMS near me has a few cool dudes that let me jam with the amps for a few minutes even if I'm just taking a stroll in their to look around.

The other store near me (A K&S) has great stuff, and therefore I have to buy something to play. I usually go there to buy some strings so I can play the ENGL's.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i hate when ur at guitar center and the guys over there always want u to kno what u wanna get. it's always like, what kind of stuff do u need, how do u use it, what kind of music do u play, then they give an evil glare. they expect me to say everything like i have a list in my hand. i think it's my own business, u don't need to kno what i wanna and dont wanna play. honestly, i wish i had the guy with the "shut up and buy" attitude. some people are cool tho, even i'm there just to jam and not to buy anything.
LeT's RocK
EVOLUTION
Last edited by GRocker93 at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by captainoid
The only one I've had a real problem with is Mr. Entertainment in Edmonton, and that's just because of one guy. I don't know what I did, but every time I went in there, he treats me like some loser metal head who is just trying out guitars for the lulz.

I remember going there, and I was with some friends, and this one metalhead dude was working there, and he was totally cool. He was like repairing a Jackson. So we're there playing, and then some other dude walks in with short hair and some douche goatee (see a pattern? goatee = douche) and then comes and stands beside us while we play. Just watching us, like we're about to smash everything in the store.

EDIT:

Quote by GRocker93
i hate when ur at guitar center and the guys over there always want u to kno what u wanna get. it's always like, what kind of stuff do u need, how do u use it, what kind of music do u play, then they give an evil glare. they expect me to say everything like i have a list in my hand. i think it's my own business, u don't need to kno what i wanna and dont wanna play. honestly, i wish i had the guy with the "shut up and buy" attitude.

He's just trying to be helpful, dude.

If he gets and idea on what you play, how much cash you have, he can help you get the right guitar.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

so i went to this store here in mexico, it's like a guitar center. so i wanted to play a guitar and i asked for one and the guy tells me

"you can play it only if you are willing to buy it" so i said yes, then i left the place and he told me "hey aren't you going to buy the guitar"
"well yes when i have the money" (it's a "you have to be there" story...)
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
well, they shouldn't get pissed at me cause i buy all my stuff from them. but there is one store i felt like i was hated. i was originally going to buy a hardshell case, a Zildjian ZBT pack and a drum pedal. i was asking some questions and i never got answered. i was really going to buy all that stuff, costing about nearly $900 (got the money from my mother). so they never entertained me. i left the store with one dunlop tortex pick, and i never went back to that store.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Colgate Total

I remember going there, and I was with some friends, and this one metalhead dude was working there, and he was totally cool. He was like repairing a Jackson. So we're there playing, and then some other dude walks in with short hair and some douche goatee (see a pattern? goatee = douche) and then comes and stands beside us while we play. Just watching us, like we're about to smash everything in the store.

I know the metalhead guy! He was actually substituting (sp?) for my teacher back when I went there. He's actually a pretty insane guitarist (and he's got an EVH musicman *drool*) and a nice guy to boot.
u gotta pretty good point, but if u see him, it gets pretty annoying. it's kinda like the, "if ur don't kno what u want just leave, cuz i pro's to deal with" attitude, but yeah sometimes they can be helpful
LeT's RocK
EVOLUTION
I once had a dude at GC try to change the price on something after I walked back in the store 5 minutes later, and gave me a bit of an attitude when I tried to talk him down on a pretty dirty Peavey Wolfgang they had. I don't think he is there anymore. They also have a person who didn't know what an EL34 was it seemed, which really bugged me. Hired off the street or not, know what you are selling... The guys at GC are nice for the most part, but there are a couple who get annoyed when you look and don't buy anything.

The worse service ever was Roseville Music in Manheim/Lancaster PA... owner who bought it a couple years ago is a total jerk. Long story short, sold me a guitar that was not what he claimed, and would not refund the purchase until we threatened to get the Attorney General in on it. I don't think they are doing well. Honorable mention goes to Menchey Music, who's people are like robots.

Pretty much every other place I go is GREAT in terms of service.
they always make me feel like such a guitar noob every time, dunno why. maybe they are all just hungover and have a **** up their noses.
all the guys at my guitar store are really cool and helpful
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
No...I chill in the sound-proof room hoping they don't notice I suck. lol
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
The guys that work at Ardvarks *local guitar shop* are actually pretty awsome, if there not busy tuning a guitar behind the counter you can say one random word and end up starting a casual conversation.
I went to a local store (Baton Music in St. Louis, if it matters) and the dude working there was a jerk. I went in, made eye contact with and was about to ask for help, but he turned away and went into the back room without saying hello. I figured he'd come out in a minute, but he didn't.

Then the phone rang and he talked for about 10 minutes. I figured it was business stuff, so I decided to wait until he was done. I didn't play any guitars or any thing while I was waiting, since they had a sign up that said don't touch anything without help from a worker, and I didn't want to look like an annoying kid. I just looked around and stood by the counter (since what I wanted to buy was behind the counter).

I started to get impatient and listen to what he was saying on the phone, and all he was doing was making small talk with the guy on the other end (just stupid stuff, like's "how's the wife doing?" or "Working hard or hardly workin' hehehhehehe?"). I walked out after that, and I'm never going back. It was obvious that they didn't want my business.

At Guitar Center, I find that they don't care if you're a kid by yourself if you're not breaking anything. But when you have a parent next to you, they swarm you and start giving the sales pitch. The guys who check you in at the door are always really nice though.
Quote by Colgate Total

... I have a goatee

But on topic, no I've never really met people who are total dicks. In the local guitar shop, the owner (it's a very small shop) was kinda rude until I got in there and played a little bit, kinda had an "I'm better than you" attitude. Which I mean the guy was, he's freaking Chuck Flynn . At GC I have met some people who really didn't have too much of a clue, or who just wanted to sell me something. EX: I walk into GC looking to TRY an RR24, not to BUY. I tell the sales guy, he goes to check, comes back and says, "No we don't carry the really high-end gutiars here (as he's standing in front of oh, idk, maybe 30 2k+ Gibson) but we can order it for you." Me, "Uh I really only wanted to try it..." Him, "Well if you lay down the money now we can order it for you and then you can get a full refund if you don't like it." Me, "You realize I have about $50 in my pocket right now?" Him, "Oh, sorry dude".

The whole time he just had a pretty dick attitude about it. That and the whole wall of Gibsons thing pissed me off, you can't tell me you don't carry high-end guitars with that behind you.

I love going to Sam Ash though, I bought my amp there from a blond haired, kinda chubby guy, but he's incredibly helpful and hasn't ever tried to push me into anything. Hell, the guy knows me by name and I live almost 60 miles away from the store!
one time i went into GC with my guitar for a string change.
when i checked it in at the door, they were like, Woah, ive never seen that brand before (it was a washburn)

come on now.

true story.
Quote by UOfan777
one time i went into GC with my guitar for a string change.
when i checked it in at the door, they were like, Woah, ive never seen that brand before (it was a washburn)

come on now.

true story.

You should change them yourself to avoid risking the dignity of Guitar Center employees.
The guy who runs the guitar shop I but all my stuff from is a mate, so they give me the good treatment there, and the other store in my town (where I bought a pick from once when my usual place didn't have my kind) is pretty cool also. When I went to Auckland however the guy behind the counter at a shop there was a total arsehole.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Most of the employes at GCs are pretty cool with me, but they are even cooler now that i told them one of the best local guitarist is a family friend...

EDIT: Wait ppl take the guitars to guitar center for a string change? WTH?
Last edited by JessicaGonzo at Aug 7, 2008,
I came in to Guitar Works a month ago to try out four different guitars. The guy didn't seem to happy, and I was disappointed, because I thought those guitar worker people were really friendly.

I didn't buy anything, and he looked depressed and bored as hell. I kind of wish I bought it right then and there, just to put a smile on his face.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
we have a music authority and a galaxy music store that just opened up and the galaxy music guys are cool about letting you play their stuff, even the high end acoustics w/oot standing over you, but at music authority they have one guitar out for you to try amps with and they consider that guitar a demo model.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by Colgate Total
I treat them like crap depending on the vibe I get.

I went to the Long & McQuade in Regina, and this douche with a goatee was acting like... Well, a douche. He had a beat up ISP Decimator, used, for $110. I tried to see if he would lower it, wouldn't. I bought the pedal. Asked him to find me an 8 inch cable or so for my other pedals. He went and got it, said I needed more than one, he went got another one. I said one more and I'll be set. He sighs, and says "why didn't you tell me this before?"

I say "well if you're going to sell me this piece of crap for $110 used, the least I could do is make your ass run around a bit."

Thing is, this Decimator is awesome. >_>

He really gave me this "shut up and buy" attitude.

Another time at the Mother's Music, and Long & McQuade in Saskatoon, the people working there were totally cool, and gave me some kick ass deals. So I was nice to them, and I liked them.

Yeah our dudes are pretty sweet compared to other cities. other than one guy at L&M who when I was buying my Fender American deluxe Tele wouldn't shut up about the regular (not deluxe) was still a great guitar for cheaper and would fit a newer player better. I made him get me the Deluxe off the wall started playing and shut him up fast.
Yea Man, we have 3 local stores and they've each caused me problems (Hamilton Ontario...)

I went to store #1 asking about Bigby's... and they said come back in 2 weeks when our techs in.. so i did. I put in the order for the Bigsby Tele Conversion kit.. 3 weeks later I call them and they're telling me that they couldn't get it in.. and they just didn't call me.. so there's 5 weeks gone..

Store #2 I went to looking for a new guitar. (Seriously looking.. not browsing)
Me: Hey, Can I try out that Tele behind the counter? I've been looking at that model for a while..
Them: Dont' use a pick on it. That's how we keep them in mint condition
Me: ... But I'm seriously looking at buying this guitar, if I can't try it with a pick I'm not going to buy it..
Them: Then I guess you aren't that interested. I'm not getting it for you.

like what the hell..

Store #3 eyes you like a hawk from the moment you walk in untill you walk out.. and they're not friendly at all! They just want you in and out.. i only go there for strings :|

Meanwhile, a halfhour outside the city I can go to a store where i'm known by name, and they're cool with you tryin stuff out, and ordering parts and all that sort of stuff! This is where I ended up going after Store #2 wouldn't let me try out the Telecaster.. and o look! I can use a pick here! :O! So they've won me over on the business end. Pretty sad that i have to ditch my THREE Local stores, for one a half hour away eh..
Guitars:
'72 Telecaster Custom
Dean V-coustic
Ibanez ARZ307

Pedals:

Metal Muff
Mastortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Marshall Regenerator
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
MXR Analog Delay

Amp:
Peavey 1x12 Something..
Last edited by FirdousEBareen at Aug 7, 2008,
the guys at the local music shop just plan hate me.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Last edited by Pintara_jackson at Aug 7, 2008,
my local shop is pretty cool, I've never had a problem with any of the sales people there. Most of them are close to the same age as me (early 20's) so its easy to communicate and have a nice conversation with them. Plus they're really cool about letting you grab stuff off the wall and trying it out.
08' Fender MiA Strat
Fender Blues Junior
My friend works in a guitar store. So i get to play anything however long i want without the others having anything to say about it. Its good to have friends in guitar stores.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
I don't understand... Why people treating metal heads like jerks? Most of those that I know are really nice. They only mean when you give them a guitar, though...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I havnt had that at all....I must put off a good vibe or something haha,
I seem to get along with any guitar store staff, some of which i have even had a jam with in the store which is good fun.
AND...I also have a goatee, so it musnt be the facial hair......I need a scapegoat, quickly!
Here in Connecticut they kinda let you do your own thing, the only shops worth going to with huge inventories have tons of people and guitars being played, so they don't really take the time to run up to every person as they walk in, lol. Usually you start the conversation with them, or not much talking goes on at all.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
hey im from hamilton too, have u were one of the stores u were talking about Mountain Music?? becasuse they always treated me well, i get deals all the time
I'm just wondering how are you people acting when you go into the store? Maybe I got lucky and found a good guitar center.
Actually im the opposite on this one Im cool with pretty much all the salesman at my local store they are some pretty cool guys honestly.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Page 1 of 4