i was just wondering if making a twelve string into a six string would be as easy as changing the nut and cutting off the head stock? or could i survive with keeping both and just setting up with six regular strings?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
The neck is designed to be under the tension of 12 strings. Taking six off could potentially cause serious problems.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
but 6 of those strings are like peewee strings... could it really do that much?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
its made to hold those twelve strings tampering with its design will compromise its structural integrity leave it be and play your awesome twelve string as is
I always thought about doing this.
If it's just an old Wal-mart(haha)12 string that you don't care about much, I say go for it. Otherwise, too risky!
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
well i was thinking of getting like an agile double neck but i don't want a twelve string... i want two 6's with different tunings and i was thinking.... maybe.... just maybe...
Bad idea - those tiny strings account for what can be hundreds of pounds of tension. If you just take them out, your neck'll be shot.
Wal-Mart makes twelve strings? :O

Yeah man, seriously, keep it. Don't alter that. It's pointless. 12's sound beautiful. Is there any reason you'd be wanting to do this?
i really don't like 12 string electrics... and i'd keep one neck in a completely different tuning... like i said three posts up... and i don't even have one... like i said three posts up...
Well if you want that...
Get two different guitars! Or just learn to tune them. Do you play live shows in different tunings? Otherwise get one guitar and tune it! As long as it's not a Floyd, it's no biggie!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by shampooboy37
but 6 of those strings are like peewee strings... could it really do that much?

Yeah, but think about the tension on them, could you take one of those teeny strings and stretch it out in your bare hands until it rang at the frequency of a low e?

Oh, and if you want your own special doubleneck, look at warmoth.com and make it yourself
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.