Im looking to get a new amp. I want it to be at least 100W, good for metal and preferably be a cab and head (not a one piece combo amp). I have a about 800$ right now, should i bother getting a amp this weekend or should i save up more?
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by al112987
Hm.... why do you need 100 watts?

He didn't say he did.

He wants 100 watts.

Its his money, not yours - don't ask questions, just make suggestions.

TS: Are you looking for tube or SS?
ampeg vt-22 with a metal pedal, they go for about 700 dollars on ebay and 100-120 watts
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Quote by i_am_metalhead
He didn't say he did.

He wants 100 watts.

Its his money, not yours - don't ask questions, just make suggestions.

TS: Are you looking for tube or SS?

I am trying to ask a simple question. I have suggested 100 watters to plenty of people around here based on what they were looking for tonally. I was simply curious, pull your self righteous head out of your ass before making assumptions about my intentions.
Quote by al112987

I am trying to ask a simple question. I have suggested 100 watters to plenty of people around here based on what they were looking for tonally. I was simply curious, pull your self righteous head out of your ass before making assumptions about my intentions.

Well he stated what he wanted - no need for questions.

That would be like me saying "I want a good vanilla ice cream. Can you suggest which brand is best?" and then you asking "Why vanilla!?".

Also, I would watch running around saying "pull your self righteous head out of your ass" unless you like bannedness
ok to awnser your questions i want 100 watts so i can play shows with my band, my drummer plays ridiculiously hard so hes def. I have a boss ML-2 metal core pedal and a Epiphone 58 Explorer, And as far as tubes or SS i really dont know what they are, whichever is better for metal i gues haha
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by Tig Bitties
ok to awnser your questions i want 100 watts so i can play shows with my band, my drummer plays ridiculiously hard so hes def. I have a boss ML-2 metal core pedal and a Epiphone 58 Explorer, And as far as tubes or SS i really dont know what they are, whichever is better for metal i gues haha

Well everyone is going to say "tube" because naturally tubes have much better tonal properties.

However when it comes to metal I think SS sounds better for metal than a cheap tube amp.

I recommend checking out some Randalls - best sounding SS amps I've ever heard. The disortion is really good as opposed to the thin, tinny sounding distortion that you normally get from a SS amp.
I'd suggest you get a tube amp...a lot of professional guitarists play tube amps cuz they simply sound amazing. However they are more expensive than a Solid State amp.

I'd save up and get Peavey 6505 half stack. They're good for ur taste. Save up or you could even finance it if want...guitar center will give you 3,6 or even 12 months to pay it all off.

Make sure u try before u buy
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well he stated what he wanted - no need for questions.

That would be like me saying "I want a good vanilla ice cream. Can you suggest which brand is best?" and then you asking "Why vanilla!?".

Also, I would watch running around saying "pull your self righteous head out of your ass" unless you like bannedness

No its not. Its like saying, "I need a bathtub of vanilla icecream" and me asking "why a bathtub full?"

100 watters are simply not practical and often unnecessary for most players. Its not a matter of volume. Some NEED the extra headroom and prefer the voice of a 100 watter. If the player does not need all the clean headroom that is provided by a 100 watt amp, I don't see the problem in suggesting a lower wattage amp that could possibly be of higher quality than a 100 watter in the same price range. Its just a suggestion, paying $500 for a cheap 100 watt half stack, being played at 2 or 3 is a waste when the buyer probably could have gotten a better amp at 20-50 watts.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 7, 2008,
^But the fact of the matter is that TS has an $800 and plays metal. Metal players do not rely on tubes breaking up and therefore need a tighter sound, the sound of an amp not breaking up at high volumes. And with a budget of $800 he can actually afford a decent half-stack, though I'd think that a head and a 2x12 would leave him better off.
Quote by al112987
No its not. Its like saying, "I need a bathtub of vanilla icecream" and me asking "why a bathtub full?"

Why not a bathtub full!?
Vox AD50VT, $360 with enough to but a new guitar or various pedals.
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Quote by Iceman 420
^But the fact of the matter is that TS has an $800 and plays metal. Metal players do not rely on tubes breaking up and therefore need a tighter sound, the sound of an amp not breaking up at high volumes. And with a budget of $800 he can actually afford a decent half-stack, though I'd think that a head and a 2x12 would leave him better off.

Its not about breaking up, a 50 watter still doesn't break up until its played very loud. A few years back, there was a guy was at a club arguing with the manager about his amp (a 50 watt Marshall plexi), and the clean volume it was putting out. The guy could not get it close to breaking up without the manager pulling the plug on him. The My point is, if the TS is looking purely for volume, then he can afford to go down in wattage for a better amp. 100 watts is only 3 dB louder than 50 watts. Undetectable by human ears at high volumes.

a 50 watt combo does fine for most gigs. I used a solid state 1x12 50 watt amp for 6 years and never once had a problem with volume or clean headroom.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 7, 2008,
this thread = fail
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
this thread = fail

+1

Alright... lets stop the bickering and arguing for a minute and focus on helping the TS with his problem!
Quote by al112987
Its not about breaking up, a 50 watter still doesn't break up until its played very loud. A few years back, there was a guy was at a club arguing with the manager about his amp (a 50 watt Marshall plexi), and the clean volume it was putting out. The guy could not get it close to breaking up without the manager pulling the plug on him. The My point is, if the TS is looking purely for volume, then he can afford to go down in wattage for a better amp. 100 watts is only 3 dB louder than 50 watts. Undetectable by human ears at high volumes.

a 50 watt combo does fine for most gigs. I used a solid state 1x12 50 watt amp for 6 years and never once had a problem with volume or clean headroom.

I'm not saying that the TS needs a 100 watt amp, and I know that a 100 watt amp is not that different in volume to a 50 watt amp, but you have to considering that most "metal" amps today are in fact 100 watts and over.

And so I actually help. TS, you can afford a Peavey 5150/6505 combo, a 60 watt amp I believe. ^-^
Quote by Iceman 420
And so I actually help. TS, you can afford a Peavey 5150/6505 combo, a 60 watt amp I believe. ^-^

The Peavey 5150/6505 is a great amp for metal but they aren't very versatile and their cleans... well they have none lol.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The Peavey 5150/6505 is a great amp for metal but they aren't very versatile and their cleans... well they have none lol.

When did TS say he needed cleans? And I'm still sticking to my Bugera suggestion. They're supposed to have pretty good cleans and are modeled after the 5150/5150 II. This all depends on what kind of metal TS plays though.
Quote by Iceman 420
When did TS say he needed cleans?

Who doesn't need cleans!? Even the heaviest of "teh br00talz" bands throw in a clean part every once in a while... I mean, yes I am making a very large assumption by saying he would need cleans but I just feel iffy suggesting something that may end up not being able to pull off something he needs it to!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Who doesn't need cleans!? Even the heaviest of "teh br00talz" bands throw in a clean part every once in a while... I mean, yes I am making a very large assumption by saying he would need cleans but I just feel iffy suggesting something that may end up not being able to pull off something he needs it to!

Good point. Odd thing though is that no one suggest that the TS save more money which he himself actually gave as an option!

So, TS; SAVE UP S'MORE MONEY!

There, he could get a Dual Rectifier or something.
Quote by Iceman 420
Good point. Odd thing though is that no one suggest that the TS save more money which he himself actually gave as an option!

+1

Haha duhh... we all completely ignored that option!

Save up, get a nice amp, rock the **** out!
Quote by Iceman 420

That requires at least doubling his budget.

For a head. Though if you work, its not a huge deal.
Quote by al112987
That requires at least doubling his budget.

For a head. Though if you work, its not a huge deal.

Yeah, but if he's willing to save up, might as well get something you won't have to upgrade down the line.