My plan is to sell my SG, because its useless to me, and pick up a strat (like the one below)

Im hoping to get 800 for my SG (ask me interested if your interested btw), so I would have a good start on the 1000 needed for the strat. Does 800 seem like a reasonable price?

Now here is the real question: what pickup configuration would be better for shred? I own a nice ibanez, so my metal tones are under control. Would it better to go with a HSS setup, SSS config like Malmsteen, or does it even matter because the bridge pickup is mostly utilized?

Followup question, which single coil pickups would be best suited for shred? I would say the YJM/HS-3 would be the most obvious choice, but they are very low output.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Malmsteen has stacked humbuckers in his guitars, so you'll want HSS.
"Love truth, Pardon error."-Voltaire

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Gibson Black Beauty
Schecter Avenger
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Marshal 1962 4X12 cab
Dunlop Jazz III's
Why are you getting a strat if you're going to be playing shred? It doesn't make sense to get a $1000 guitar, then have to change the pickups when you could get a more shred oriented guitar for the same price, or cheaper.
Dickless.
Quote by ThroughtheHaze
Malmsteen has stacked humbuckers in his guitars, so you'll want HSS.

what? he uses HS-3's, which are hum canceling, so they are very humbucker like, but not as fat sounding

edit:
to above, I already have a shred machine, but Im looking for something I can play everything else on, such as things that use a clean tone, and I would like to be able to play shred on it as well
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Strats aren't really a shred guitar... You will probably find it hard to get the tone your looking for on a Strat.
Quote by sacamano79
what? he uses HS-3's, which are hum canceling, so they are very humbucker like, but not as fat sounding

edit:
to above, I already have a shred machine, but Im looking for something I can play everything else on, such as things that use a clean tone, and I would like to be able to play shred on it as well

If you put shred pickups in it, it's probably not going to be great at... not shred. A strat won't give you the strat tone if you change the pickups.
Dickless.
well what would you consider a "shred pickup", because I think of HS-3's and a lot of people play country/blues with them (youtube)
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Yngwie uses an HS3/YJM/YJM combination on the newest version of his signature:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpY8J9__yE

Also, plenty of people use an SSS configuration for shred(-like) music.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yngwie uses an HS3/YJM/YJM combination on the newest version of his signature:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpY8J9__yE

Also, plenty of people use an SSS configuration for shred(-like) music.

i agree with you...........but the h/s/s is just more versatile.
Quote by mmjohn
i agree with you...........but the h/s/s is just more versatile.

It depends on what you're looking for.

Even with a coil split a humbucker doesn't sound the same as a single coil. Depending on the amp and the pickups you go for, an SSS configuration can be just as nice.

I have no problems getting a heavier tone out of the single coil in the bridge position in my Strat. Of course it will always have a certain single coil-like snap (not too prominent, though), but I find that it adds, well, a bit of clarity to the sound.

Again, it all depends on what you want, what pickups you use and how your amp is EQ'ed.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
SSS will be fine! I personally hate HSS strats - they just look wrong...

Strats sound fantastic with a decent amp, and are fine for shred playing. Yngwie used standard pickups at the start, and only used DiMarzio's after he came to america and found he got a lot of hum. Standard single coils are fine for normal levels, although they do start to pick up a bit more hum at high volumes around other equipment.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Get a Kramer jersey star. Versatile and good for shredding if the mood takes you.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.