Hope this is the right place to put this...

I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now and have a switch pedal on my marshall amp(as far as my use in pedals gets), but as far as effects and other pedals im kind of clueless.

What is a basic set up that most guitarists have? (i realize many don't use pedals and just play straight through and amp)

I figure a Wa, would be step one, but what else. There are so many different pedals, and im sure everyone has its place. A delay would be my second guess.

I would just like to know what your setup is and what a good setup should by comprised of?

any other advice is welcomed brands and anything like that

Thanks in advance for the info

-Jeff
I mean, there really isn't a 'standard' setup.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
yeah wahs are fun. id go with that a chorus and if youre amp has good distortion a tube screamer, and if it doesnt a distortion pedal too. maybe a big muff a proco rat or a digitech distortion or something.
just a few suggestions
What are some good brands then?

And i realize there really no standard setup since everyones will be different, but if your just getting into pedals, what are some of the first ones you should look at.
whatever you want, but if i was you distortion, wah, then delay. i got a distortion, then a multi effects. thats my rig.lol
Quote by scguitarking927
What are some good brands then?

And i realize there really no standard setup since everyones will be different, but if your just getting into pedals, what are some of the first ones you should look at.

again boss are a good bet fer multi-fx. bur fer individual pedals. start with yer basic overdrive, distortion, reverb, chorus, delay, wahs....just to name a few :P

and you should probably invest in a noise gate

EDIT: If its not called a noisegate. my apologies
Boss are overall pretty much the top-of-the-liners. Also good brands are Electro-Harmonix, Digitech/DOD, wahs there are a few other brands. I believe Vox wahs and Morley wahs are good, but I'm not very familiar with wahs. MXR also has some nice pedals. If you're looking for a multi-effects pedal, I recommend a pedal in the RP-* series.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
A good delay that can do proper glitch-out messes (Boss DD-3 for example) but can also be used in a very standard, musical sense are extremely versatile. Wah is basically a foot-controlled modulation effect (it's a phase shifter) though good wahs (I personally recommend the Ibanez Weeping Demon because it works well with 9V AC adapters without adding much hum, and it has an auto on/of mode *and* a footswitch on/off mode, making it really useful in a lot of different situations) can be used as filters or in their "traditional" role. Dunlop and Vox wahs are also excellent but should be run off batteries if they don't have a proper 9V adapter or else you'll deal with LOTS of noise. Additionally you should get an A/B/Y switch installed so it's true bypass or else it sucks off your treble (clarity) when they're off. I haven't noticed this issue with the Ibanez (I use a Fender Twin, I know if I'm losing treble).

Delay and Wah are the best place to start assuming that Marshall is a proper one (all tube, JCM, DSL, etc) you've already got solid clean tones and excellent crunch. If you're looking for more gain go after a Pro Co Rat II or Turbo Rat. Or maybe a Fuzz Face. Don't get a Big Muff, those don't get along well with EL34s (the power tubes in Marshalls) or Celestion Vintage 30 or Greenback speakers. Big Muffs are for Jensen style speakers with 6L6 power amp tubes (Fender Twin Reverbs for example) which don't take Rats well (sound REALLY harsh).

Compression might be worth a consideration as well, particularly if you're playing at low volumes a lot. It basically just gives you loads more sustain at any volume, along with stronger harmonics, and more even picking dynamics. This is particularly useful clean/lightly overdriven at low volumes.

Basically just go out and try things, figure out what you're into and what sound is "you". That's far more important than having "what you're supposed to".

As for brands:

With some particular exceptions (Digitech JamMan and Whammy come to mind) the petal brands are arranged something like this:

Budget/low end:
Danilectro
DOD
etc

Midrange:
Digitech
Ibanez
etc

High End:
MXR/Dunlop (same company)
Boss
Electro-Harmonix
Tone Bone

But when it really comes down to it the ABSOLUTE best petals are always hand-made boutique wonders like zVex, Pigtronix, Keeley (modded or from scratch). The issues with these are primarily cost, though it also depend on what sound you're looking for. zVex particularly really appeals to the 'low-fi' and experimental crowd while Keeley's products are more 'high-fi' and predicable in behavior. It all depends on what you're after and how much you have/are willing, to spend.
Last edited by RadioMuse at Aug 7, 2008,
Also forgot to add, Behringer pedals are notorious for their weak construction, plastic case, and cheap quality, but the construction is actually really strong, and the plastic is really reliable, and some pedals from them are actually really good. I used to have a Behringer DD-400 (a digital delay), for example, and I found it comparable to Boss digital delays (Boss delay = about $120, Behringer is about $40). It sounded very clean, up to almost a second and a half of delay. I do have to say that not all (in fact according to what I've heard, most Behringer pedals are bad, but there's a lot of "prejudice" about cheaper brands, even though they might be good) Behringers are good.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
^ couldnt agree more about cheaper pedals. I have a $30 Arion Digital Delay and its amazing.

On topic, I agrre with some of the others here and say get a multi-effects pedal like a Digitech RP-series. It may sound 'digital' and needs an upgrade eventually, but it lets you play around with different effects and you can decide what kinds you should invest in in the future.