Page 1 of 4
I've been pretty busy for the most part this summer so I haven't really had much time to do any builds. Tonight, I got the idea in my head to build an SG with some of the wood that I have I'm thinking of just delaying my LP build and using the neck from that on this. If I did this I'd Probably use a curly spanish cedar top, a curly maple back, and a thin layer of mahogany in between as a pin stripe. It'd have a 25" scale length, a TOM bridge, a stop tail, HH, maybe a curly maple pickguard, rosewood fretboard, curly maple neck, some curly maple or curly spanish cedar inlays, etc.

I definitely have a good idea of what I'm gonna do with this, and I think this has a lot of potential. I'm still a little undecided on this though, I may just go through with the LP, but I like to mix things up a little sometimes, and I've never built anything like an SG.

Heres pics of the curly spanish cedar and the curly maple neck as it is now.

Last edited by carousel182 at Aug 10, 2008,
That was him being a sheep, and telling you to use the searchbar. Maybe he's missed the point of your thread.

I love that wood, man. I've heard that curly maply (or maybe it was flamed maple, I don't really know the finer details) is soft. If this is so, will it be strong enough to use?

I assume so, since the neck seems pretty well built already, I just wasn't sure. Additionally, what about the fretboard?
i think you should go for the LP but with the same wood combo as what you've had planned for the SG, as always we know its going to look amazing no matter what you decide on
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
dude that is such NICE wood!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Nice wood! I think this will turn out quite cool.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by snot_foster25
That was him being a sheep, and telling you to use the searchbar. Maybe he's missed the point of your thread.

I love that wood, man. I've heard that curly maply (or maybe it was flamed maple, I don't really know the finer details) is soft. If this is so, will it be strong enough to use?

I assume so, since the neck seems pretty well built already, I just wasn't sure. Additionally, what about the fretboard?

actually soft maple probably isnt the best neck wood, but its going to be fine here because I'm gonna be using carbon fiber reinforcements.

The neck is not finished yet actually, its just a picture of the rough cut neck uncarved and without a truss slot or carbon reinforcements

I think I'm gonna go with the SG, I just don't feel like doing a LP right now. It's fun to do a non carved top ever once and a while, and I think Ill be able to create a cool effect with the SG and the bevels and different layers. Anyway, hardware hasnt been ordered yet but I think I'm gonna be going with a gotoh/grover combo and hold off on the pickups until I figure out whats happening with this. Im not sure if its gonna be mine or if I'm gonna sell it. I kind of want an SG but I have so many guitars now that I've "wanted" that some of them rarely get played.
ive got an idea, sell that maple top to me haha
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
holy crap batman! check out that wood!
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
It's actually the back of the guitar not the top haha. the guitar is gonna be 1 and 3/8 inch total i believe maybe a little short of that though(+ or - 1/16). its gonna have the walnut pinstripe in between the maple and spanish cedar.
Im thinking of holding that neck off until later and making a curly maple/mahogany/curly maple/mahogany/ curly maple neck for this build. and then a rosewood fretboard with curly spanish cedar block inlays.

anyway heres some pictures of the wood.

thanks, I have another 8/4 12 foot long board just like it but knotless. I could only salvage like 4 neck blanks and 2 body blanks out of this one because it has tons of knots. I'll probably be able to do something with the scraps though.

the body is thin, 1 and 3/8ths

I will almost definitely be selling this on ebay, do you think that if I put golden age HB's from stewmac I will have a problem selling it?
no, you shouldn't have a problem
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I cleaned up the edges with the router and spindle sander.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/stelmach1117/Picture001.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/stelmach1117/Picture002.jpg

forgot to mention I'm gonna order the hardware tonight or tommorow (either way it ships monday.)

grover nickel tuners
golden age HB's with nickel covers
nickel gotoh bridge and tail piece
dual action truss
standard SG wiring

The neck will be curly Maple/Walnut/Spanish Cedar (or Mahogany)/Walnut/Maple
Last edited by carousel182 at Aug 9, 2008,
Looks sweet

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Wow an that is amazing. Good job, can't wait to see more.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
No progress on this quite yet. Parts will be here tomorrow so I'll start serious work on it then. I've been golfing almost every day this week and last trying to get decent because I'll need something to do if my arm gets too screwed up for hockey so basically I've had no time to work on this really. But I am hoping to get the neck cut and scarfed tomorrow and maybe a little bit of routing done (or maybe I'll just make a control cavity template set for the SG)
okay, hardware has arrived and I scarfed the headstock, once I finish the neck I'll work on the body. I think tomorrow I should have time to finish the neck and glue on the fretboard. oh man, its already time to start inlaying ah!
inlay material (curly spanish cedar.)

note: when using wood inlays i tend to leave the material on the thick side to make cutting easier.

possible fingerboard

scarfed headstock for strength of headstock (I considered using a piece of walnut on the joint for decorative purposes but eventually decided against it)
yep, I kind of rub joint it together then quick clamp it then use the hand screw clamps, its a good way of doing it. All i gotta say is get ready for a cool volute, I'm gonna copy something I've seen in acoustics, if it doesn't turn out nicely and doesn't fit on this build I can easily get rid of it.
^ Yea I know that volutes don't really have a good purpose, but If I'm gonna be putting a pointless volute in I'm gonna make it look good atleast.
alright, one of the toughest things for me to do is to pick out inlays. At first I was considering doing plain curly spanish cedar block inlays but now I kind of want the inlays to tie the guitar together more than the curly spanish cedar blocks would. So, now Im thinking of changing them from regular blocks of curly spanish cedar to blocks that are maple, mahogany, maple with mahogany binding on the fretboard. or mahogany, maple, mahogany with maple binding because the maple contrasts the rosewood better. Still kind of undecided but I'll figure it out soon enough. Tomorrow I'm gonna do more work on the neck so expect updates on this.
hmmm I really don't like the laminated neck for some reason so I just scarfed up a birdseye neck today.. also instead of the gibson set neck joint I'm going with a different joint (the one that everyone uses that posts set neck builds on here.) Ill post pics when i get some real progress.
Quote by eddiehimself
dude that is such NICE wood!
Thats what she said.

Anyway, i tihnk the sg will look cool, just do like transblack or sometihng
nice build! this is makin my gibson look bad!!!

yeah, u wont have any prob sellin it as long as u say its custom, not a real gibson
and 1 3/8 is not thin for an sg. real sgs are about 1 1/4, which is barely thicker.

and...yeah thts about it.....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
what are you going to do with the laminated neck?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Page 1 of 4