Ok i read the Faq, the modes with the major scale all make sense but lets say if im using the progression Am, C, Em. would i use Am Aeolian (thats just normal Am scale right?) C Ionian and Em phrygian.
ok i hope that part is correct, but what about the progression Am Dm F E? what mode would i use over an E chord in an A minor progression?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Quote by davo_333
Ok i read the Faq, the modes with the major scale all make sense but lets say if im using the progression Am, C, Em. would i use Am Aeolian (thats just normal Am scale right?) C Ionian and Em phrygian.
That way is called modal interchange, and yes your correct.
Just remember that you can use any major mode over a plain major chord and any minor mode over a minor chord (although dorian and aeolian are used more).
Quote by davo_333
ok i hope that part is correct, but what about the progression Am Dm F E? what mode would i use over an E chord in an A minor progression?
That progression is in minor. It's scale degrees are i iv VI V when written in the perspective of aminor. Use phrygian dominant or mixolydian flat sixth over the Emajor chord and A melodic or A natural minor or A hamonic minor over the A minor chord.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
That way is called modal interchange.

No. Modal Interchange is major and minor keys that share the same tonic.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by davo_333

Not really, in the first example all three of those scales use exactly the same notes and it resolves to A so in practice you'll just be playing in A minor over the whole thing. The scond one isn't actually in the key of Am, it feels closer to Dm but even that's not quite right.

The golden rule is never make things more complicated than they need to be - there's no point looking for an excuse to crowbar modes into something when 9 times out of 10 there's are far easier way to describe it. You should probably take a step back from them for a while, sounds like you're not quite at the point where you need to be worrying about them yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Not really, in the first example all three of those scales use exactly the same notes and it resolves to A so in practice you'll just be playing in A minor over the whole thing. The scond one isn't actually in the key of Am, it feels closer to Dm but even that's not quite right.

The golden rule is never make things more complicated than they need to be - there's no point looking for an excuse to crowbar modes into something when 9 times out of 10 there's are far easier way to describe it. You should probably take a step back from them for a while, sounds like you're not quite at the point where you need to be worrying about them yet.
In the way he is using modes, its called playing the changes. This means you tailor what you play for the chord thats being played, or as BGC calls it "treating each chord as an island." This is usually done using modes in the fashion he suggested and is a very effective means of improvisation. Nothing wrong with what he's doing, and no its not over-complicating things. It is a very advanced way to improvise, so I wouldnt suggest beginners to try it as their phrasing will suffer.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by steven seagull
The scond one isn't actually in the key of Am, it feels closer to Dm but even that's not quite right.

Quote by davo_333
what mode would i use over an E chord in an A minor progression?

The chords are from A Natural Minor except for E. Assuming its either a major triad or Dominant, the TS is in A Harmonic Minor for this chord.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by demonofthenight
In the way he is using modes, its called playing the changes. This means you tailor what you play for the chord thats being played, or as BGC calls it "treating each chord as an island." This is usually done using modes in the fashion he suggested and is a very effective means of improvisation. Nothing wrong with what he's doing, and no its not over-complicating things. It is a very advanced way to improvise, so I wouldnt suggest beginners to try it as their phrasing will suffer.

That's not what he's doing at all - he's simply misunderstanding what modes are and when they apply. If he was doing what you describe then he'd likely be using the scales A minor, C major and E minor, or at least scales with differing notes. The way he's describing is all the same notes, so how can he be doing anything other than playing in A minor unless there's an extended passage over a fixed chord that establishes a modal tonality?
Quote by mdc

The chords are from A Natural Minor except for E. Assuming its either a major triad or Dominant, the TS is in A Harmonic Minor for this chord.

yes, dunno what got into me there
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by davo_333

That progression is A minor. There is no need to refer to it modally.

Study the Major and minor tonal system in depth before trying to understand modes. Study actual music that uses the system. Get your ears on it as well as your mind.

Quote by davo_333

A harmonic minor over the E. A minor over the rest.
shred is gaudy music