Page 1 of 37
The Olympic games draw closer, and closer.

Discuss all topics regarding the '08 Olympics here.

No. Politics.
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Aug 10, 2008,
I start school when the Olympics start.
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
Aww, those little cartoons are so cute.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I actually had an idea to do this too, but then decided against it.
I have never really payed much attention to the Olympics, but maybe I will this year, who knows.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

I like the theme song that Chinese pop artists recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjwc-lDgkok

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Cal UK
Human rights FTL!

You know, as a native Chinese who lived in China, I find this sort of comment pretty offensive. Have you ever even been to China? They have more rights and freedom than you think.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

You know, as a native Chinese who lived in China, I find this sort of comment pretty offensive. Have you ever even been to China? They have more rights and freedom than you think.

And more political prisoners, executions and corrupt heads of state.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
And more political prisoners, executions and corrupt heads of state.

Right, and of course, no other country does. Idiot.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

As an oppressed Tibetan living in China, I strongly disagree with this statement, and thoroughly hope that nobody clicks on my profile and finds out I live in Australia and am actually making up bull**** and talking about stuff I know crap all about.

On topic, the Olympics always seem over hyped to me, though I generally don't watch much sport anyway.
more sig required.
Last edited by Is_6_9? at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi

No they don't. Or not to the point of China, do you get I'm not ripping on you, but your government? Not many other civilised countries who would get to host the most major sporting event have political opponents under house arrest, tortured or even killed. Let alone all the BS about the actual olympics, e.g. journalists free internets etc. Please don't chauvinistically defend your country and deny what is fact.
Let's get back onto topic... the Olympic games?

You'll all get this thread locked if you progress to a flame war.
Quote by Cal UK
No they don't. Or not to the point of China, do you get I'm not ripping on you, but your government? Not many other civilised countries who would get to host the most major sporting event have political opponents under house arrest, tortured or even killed. Let alone all the BS about the actual olympics, e.g. journalists free internets etc. Please don't chauvinistically defend your country and deny what is fact.

Okay fair enough. But to say that as your first and only thought makes you sound complacent about your own country/government while dismissing China as an oppressed country, regardless of whether that's what you meant or not.

Quote by lotsofvolume
Let's get back onto topic... the Olympic games?

I saw the Olympics site a few weeks ago. It's pretty awesome.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
On topic yes sorry I just enjoy talking politics more than most sports. I'd like to see Paula Radcliffe get a medal as this will be her last olympics. Apparently the UK have quite a strong cycling and swimming team.
I'm rooting all the way for Haile Gebrselassie and Hicham El Guerrouj. They are my two favorite runners of all time.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Xiaoxi

yep, you can check NZ we're clean *sticks out tongue and wags hand childishly*
0 political prisoners, 0 executions, and 0 corrupt heads of state (I think, i mean the prime minister did sign her name to a piece of artwork that she didn't paint for charity reasons but meh.)

on topic, technically theyv started even though the opening ceremony hasn't been, NZ has already played one hockey game against Japan
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Last edited by druz15_UG at Aug 7, 2008,
USA! ALL THE WAY!

meh, we always bring home the most gold medals anyway

i'm particularly interested in basketball.

i was watching a story about the runner who will be carrying the american flag, i just caught a glimpse of it, but basically what i learned was that he has been a citizen for about a year now. i lol'd.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
We've got is it Steve or Mark Foster a 38 year old swimmer carrying our flag. I think he's going for gold as he's had silver and bronze before, and I guess this will be his last olympics.
Last edited by Cal UK at Aug 7, 2008,
Events I'm looking forward to:

- Swimming relays
- Running 400m, 800m, 1500m, 5k, 10k, Marathon
- Shotput, Discus
- Cycling and Triathlon
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
A band from my school got asked to participate in the Beijing band.

They're incredibly lucky, they get to play on the Great Wall of China, go to events, go sightseeing etc.

Although, they didn't take guitarists.
The football tournament has the potential to be a farce after the CAS ruled that clubs could force players to not play for their countries in it in favour of playing for them. Which means Lionel Messi, Diego, and Rafinha at least are probably on their way home, 3 of the players I was most looking forward to watching. Shame!
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
I'm looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds what with the political problems. So far there has already been so much controversy, some US athletes were wearing face masks to protect from smog when they landed. They had to apologize and their coach said "it was an unfortunate time for them to be wearing them", (off topic, but how the hell can there be an unfortunate time to protect yourself from the pollution? You can't just say, "no, this is not a good time for pollution, pollution go away!") Anyway, I really hope people can get over the fact that it's in Beijing. Personally I'm looking forward to the 100m, the cycling (since Britain have a chance at something), I want to see how Afghanistan's martial arts guy does.
Quote by blynd_snyper
I'm looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds what with the political problems. So far there has already been so much controversy, some US athletes were wearing face masks to protect from smog when they landed. They had to apologize and their coach said "it was an unfortunate time for them to be wearing them", (off topic, but how the hell can there be an unfortunate time to protect yourself from the pollution? You can't just say, "no, this is not a good time for pollution, pollution go away!") Anyway, I really hope people can get over the fact that it's in Beijing. Personally I'm looking forward to the 100m, the cycling (since Britain have a chance at something), I want to see how Afghanistan's martial arts guy does.

Is he from the Taliban? /Fail
I'm in Hong kong for holidays right now and I was in walking around town and there was a bomb scare and loads of police surrounding a building earlier today.
Schecter Damien 6
Epiphone G-400
Digitech RP200A
Vox AD30VT-XL
I really hope protesters/terrorists don't do something bad and end up hurting people, these games are supposed to be fun . . . . . .

I cant wait to see the 50/100m's!
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by Jackolas
What time GMT is the opening?!

3 o'clock!!!
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by Rabid
Quote by bob farrell
3 o'clock!!!

REALLY, THAT IS A NICE CONVENIENT TIME! CHEERS!
It starts on BBC One at 12:45. I think they will have loads of stuff before the opening ceremony though like they do before a footy match.
Quote by Jackolas
REALLY, THAT IS A NICE CONVENIENT TIME! CHEERS!

THATS OK!!!!!
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by Rabid
Damn I was lied to by someone who likes Magners with ice who claimed it starts at 3:00, thanks for clearing that up. Don't foget to stock up on Irn Bru!
Quote by Jackolas
Damn I was lied to by someone who likes Magners with ice who claimed it starts at 3:00, thanks for clearing that up. Don't foget to stock up on Irn Bru!

I WASN'T LYING, IT OFFICIALLY STARTS AT 3, BEFORE THEN IT IS JUST SOME POINTLESS OPENING STUFF. MAGNERS IS DELICIOUS WITH ICE!!
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by Rabid
Quote by Snakexe
The football tournament has the potential to be a farce after the CAS ruled that clubs could force players to not play for their countries in it in favour of playing for them. Which means Lionel Messi, Diego, and Rafinha at least are probably on their way home, 3 of the players I was most looking forward to watching. Shame!

The football's already started and Messi's in the squad Don't know about the others though.

Anyone else think it's a shame they've had to start something before the actual opening ceremony? It seems like the football's all been forgotten about. Ivory Coast were damn unlucky yesterday to lose to Argentina, but nevermind.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Page 2 is great.

On-topic, I'm excited, opening ceremony starts in less than a minute As a Chinese-Canadian I'm rooting for both Canadian athletes and Chinese athletes.

Oh, and Nadal. Go Nadal!
Quote by bob farrell
I WASN'T LYING, IT OFFICIALLY STARTS AT 3, BEFORE THEN IT IS JUST SOME POINTLESS OPENING STUFF. MAGNERS IS DELICIOUS WITH ICE!!

Ok sorry my bad. The opening stuff might be worth watching though, starts soon.. that stadium is massive.. they should have got JAMES HETFIELD to open it.. OHH YEAHHHH!

I appologise mate!