I can't get the damn gain off on my Marshall MG100! When I'm playing on the clean channel, there is a very funky, muddy distorted sound coming out of it. Yesterday me and a friend played with two guitars on my amp. My friend plugged his guitar into the CD in (or was it the FX?) connector with a distortion stomp box. Could this have messed up my amp?
Quote by Frogzilla
I can't get the damn gain off on my Marshall MG100! When I'm playing on the clean channel, there is a very funky, muddy distorted sound coming out of it. Yesterday me and a friend played with two guitars on my amp. My friend plugged his guitar into the CD in (or was it the FX?) connector with a distortion stomp box. Could this have messed up my amp?

That would be why, they have something of a reputation for being unreliable.
ever thought of the possibility that it might be cause it is a MG?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
You people should shut it, even though its an mg the clean channel should make a clean sound, even if it's not a good clean.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
OK people, I don't need argumentation over weather the amp is good or not. What I need is some advice about what could have gone wrong:P
isnt there a crunch button for the clean channel?

check you havent accidentally clicked that on.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Hows the distortion channel? If it sounds a bit off too its possible a speaker blew. Overloading the CD input with gain could do that I suppose.

EDIT: The more I think about the more likely this seems. "muddy, distorted, funky" all sounds like a blown speaker to me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Hows the distortion channel? If it sounds a bit off too its possible a speaker blew. Overloading the CD input with gain could do that I suppose.

EDIT: The more I think about the more likely this seems. "muddy, distorted, funky" all sounds like a blown speaker to me.

You might just be right. The distortion channel's kinda like putting a crappy distortion pedal and the in-buildt distortion on at the same time.
I just tried to run the cabinet trough my old amp, and the same happened.
Memo to self: Investigate before spamming UG forum with dumb questions.
Thanks for the help everyone! While I'm at it, do you people know of any good cabinets that works good with the MG100 head? I don't have to much money right now, so I thought I'll just buy the cabinet first, and the head later.
The price range is a little bit hard to set, since everything is more expensive in Norway it seems.. But I guess I can spend more money on the new cab than I used on the MG100HDFX/412A stack.
Or should I just buy both the head and the cab right away?
Quote by gregs1020
Why not get a combo?

I don't know, I just like the look of stacks I guess. But if you have any sugestions on a good combo, be my guest
Quote by Ghold125
why did you plug 2 guitars into your amp?

Because I'm the smartest person in the world
^ what this guy said. mg's cant handle one guitar well let alone too you might have messed up the speaker
Go check a bunch of amps. Try a Laney VC30, they sell for less than here in the US. Not sure about Norway specifically.
Plugging a guitar into the CD (or whatever) input probably had a lot to do with it, if I had to guess.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I'll suggest a combo, provided you give us some info.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'll suggest a combo, provided you give us some info.

I mostly play metal, like Metallica, Megadeth, Children of Bodom, Lamb of god, stuff like that. Like I said before, It's hard to name a price, since the prices on gear are so different. For example, the list price on the stack I got now is 980$ in USA and 1346,82$ (6990 NOK) in Norway. but i guess I can go as far as 1000-1200$. But I really want i stack, don't know why, I just do! But feel free to name some good combos if you want, and I'll chech them out.
hmm, well, being in Norway i have no clue how much things go for. So look at some combo's (please try not to get a stack, kinda pointless, and i know some is going to tell me that it's his money but im just saying he can do better with a combo) such as b-52's and randall rg50tc. Or if you can find a used peavey 5150
Quote by Ghold125
hmm, well, being in Norway i have no clue how much things go for. So look at some combo's (please try not to get a stack, kinda pointless, and i know some is going to tell me that it's his money but im just saying he can do better with a combo) such as b-52's and randall rg50tc. Or if you can find a used peavey 5150

Thanks, I'll check them out