First, apologies if this needs to go in the gear mod forum, but you guys and gals just have bangin' bass knowledge that's helped my out many times before, so here we go.

Long time ago bought a cheap bass that's basically a Fender P-special copy, so P pickup with Bridge J pickup, P shaped body, and a neck that feels somewhat inbetween the two, but was comfortable for me to play. This was the first bass I ever gigged with, so it has vague sentimental value...however,I had it with me the day I bought my trusty Milestone,so ended up leaving at a bands lockup. The problem was the band vacated the lockup shortly after, meaning I didnt see the bass for over a year, finnally got it back yesterday, and apart from the strings being rusted to hell, it's all good still. Slapping some Roto's on it later today anyways,so that's that solved.

Anyways, I want to turn it into my first mod project, as it's a cheap bass so if I botch it it won't matter,and my mate who knows his way around electronics/guitars is gonna help me,so it will work!!! Honest

Basically I wanna put new pick-ups in, and maybe a new paint job, not decided on that just yet. This is where I need help, I want modern sounding pick ups that will cut through the mix well, at the moment I have vague ideas of putting a seymour duncan quarter pounder as a replacement for the generic P pick up, but have no idea what to for the J or if the quarter pounder is a good idea...I'll be saving the money up over time, so price isnt a huge issue,but I have no idea on the cost of pickups.

I live in the UK,and dislike buying online,I like to see things before I buy, I'm old fashioned.
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
its a shame you dont like buying online, www.wdmusic.co.uk have loads of cheap parts, hardware and bodies/necks. Not to mention infinite pickgaurd colours
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I will buy online, I'm just not its biggest fan,will check that site out though

cheers

any ideas on what pickups I shud get?
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
something by seymour duncan, perhaps a quarter pounder P and maybe the same for J if you can buy singles, if not get a set and ill have the neck pup lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I was thinking Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders,cheers for the advice
Quote by the humanity
would it be possible to fit a left handed neck to a right hand body?
yer, only the headstock is reversed... i think, just make sure the measurements are the same
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
i see, ur strings will be cut at different lengths as a result thought, and ur string retainer wont be wide enough for the E and A strings
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Duncans will treat you nice, and for not too much cash. If you're just staring out modding, I'd just do simple stuff like replace the electronics (even if they don't need it), thoroughly shielding the control cavity, adding some strap locks and any aesthetic changes you want like a new pickguard/knobs/etc. I'd paint a picguard if you want a custom paint job, it's a little more forgiving than painting over a bass's finish, and certainly more so than trying to completely refinish the bass.

My personal rule is to never bother with tuners on a cheap bass (performance increase cannot be justified by the money, if you're not hardcore slappin' and poppin' or using a bass whammy or something).

Or if you want to go crazy, why not reroute the j-pup to take a mm humbucker, or route under the bridge to install some piezo elements to a second jack out, or hell, just route space for more random pickups and wire them in bootsy collins style!
btw, what did u think of my link, i love that site, a gotoh bridge for £21, orsum
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Was a good Captain, and Dullsilver, it dont have a pickguard sadly, may paint my bands Logo on, but would need to look into it, paint type and whatnot, Duncans it is then, cheers peeps. you're all stars, Cookies for all
Quote by the humanity

am I too late to give a shout out to Bartolini?

oh well.

duncan is probably cheaper.

paint it bright yellow and put a giant happy face on it.

and do the humbucker thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It might look quite sexy avec une finish natural, en les hule de linseed, non?

have you considered deepening the cutaway? You could Do it on the cheap with a rasp or something.