Took a look around and didn't really see a forum concerning live sound. I HAVE to get a PA like.. now. I've got a drummer and bass player ready to start playing and I've got a set list we need to start practicing. Asap.
Problem is I'm a 19 year old college student and money is tiiight.
I need to keep it PREFERABLY under 500 dollars.. no more than 800, but that's a little high.
I don't need a huge PA, just a small 4 channel or something, as it will only be running vocals and the occasional acoustic guitar.
I'd like for it to have effects, but nothing crazy just reverb, echo, chorus ect.. the basics.

So I turn to you UG! If Aaaanyone can help at all it'd be great. Thanks!
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Check out the Peavey pa's.

My cousin and i got one 600wattsx2 at 4 ohms for 600 bucks and two speakers (also peaveys... 15 inch) for about 400.

My ex bands also used one (except smaller) and it was pretty good.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Power Mixer

Speakers

Personally i'd go for the 15 inch ones just to prevent those from blowing up and for more headroom but if you get a pair of these with the power mixer it'll be the 800 dollar limit u mentioned

That seems like a pretty nice simple set up.. what about Carvins systems.. anyone had ne experience w them?
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Quote by Trivium
That seems like a pretty nice simple set up.. what about Carvins systems.. anyone had ne experience w them?

Not really but i've never really heard anything bad about Carvin (except for the bass i used to play in high school that stopped working out of nowhere).

I truly recommend the peavey. In my old band we would hook up two guitars, two mics, and sometimes a keyboard as well and it handled everything fine. It was the same mixer that i mentioned except that the speakers were 15'. Now my cousin and i own the 15' speakers and a more powerful mixer but it's still the same series.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-KPM8420T---KPC215H-PA-Package-630570-i1153446.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-Kustom-KPM8420-PA-Package-482657-i1397118.gc

Those are two other setups that i found. Initially we were gonna buy one of those but they didn't have them in stock at guitar center. I do not know how well they sound though since we never got to try them out but they're pretty inexpensive and look promising.

Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 7, 2008,
If you are on a budget i would suggest looking into the second hand market.... Look at pawn shops, newspaper classifieds, gumtree, any nearby pubs that are closing down etc. Also if you know any other bands then perhaps you could borrow for the time being. Also what kind of wattage would the P.A. have to compete with?
All it's gonna need to do is be loud enough to be heard over a full band for practice.. maybe a few smaller shows (parties mostly).

I've actually seriously considered buying the Kustom Pa's.. but..... I'm just weary of the brand... heard very mixed reviews on Kustom's equip.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Look for Peavy's or Behringers

If you find a really good large one that is in your price range (it'd have to be second hand though) i woulkd recommend buying it
Behringer is junk. Peavey is a great value, but the sound isn't the best. The Carvin stuff is great and a real good value. My band leader has a 12-channel Carvin setup with a powered mixer. It's stereo and can drive the monitors and mains. It's a great system - but a little out of your price range. You can get their low-end gear though. It's just a good, just not as many features.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele