Hey, I stopped playing bass after about a 2 years, realizing that the original guitar was more of my thing. I've been playing guitar now for only 1 year, but progressed very quickly in my own opinion. My favorite music to play is Megadeth, Pantera, and Cannibal Corpse, but I've been enjoying progression and neo-classical metal lately, the mad tapping licks and such, Symphony X would be a good example. I used to play a 4 string bass, but now my range of likes in metal has increased, and I'm liking more technical music. What do you think would be the smartest out of these choices for my taste? 4, 5, or 6 string? I was thinking 6, but then again 5 looks snazzy, yet I was used to 4, lol.

Oh, by the way, I'm still going to play guitar, but I have love for the bass still, deciding to play both, but taking guitar the most serious.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Last edited by bloodycomfort at Aug 7, 2008,
i think you should go to a shop and try them all out to see which one you think would be best.

it depends on budget aswell really, as 6 & 8 strings are more expensive than a 4 or 5.

A five string would probably be best, cos then you can gradually get used to having the low B string and once your used to that maybe you can upgrade to a six?
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
i think you should get a 5 string bass because if your listening to metal and stuff you wont use the 6th string much
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Well you see the price is not a problem, these guitars are dirt cheap and have quality parts. Left handed here by the way. http://www.rondomusic.com/BassLeft.html
Only downfall I see on them is a bolt-on, but there is 6 bolts, which honestly doesn't bother me much and is very very stable.
Pretty much it's between 5 and 6 for me now, I just don't know if I'm ready for a 6 because it is more complex to an extent. I do agree that a 5 string would be more well-suited for me, but then again, I wouldn't mind learning classical pieces that involve all the strings.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Last edited by bloodycomfort at Aug 7, 2008,