Hey guys,

i didn't know what section to post this in but anyway here goes, really dumb questioni but i have actually never learnt this.

On my coleclark fl2ac, there are these 5 faders

it says V, F, T,M and B

Now all i know is what the volume one does, i know its all things to equalize but i don't actually know what each one does, can someone please explain to me what sound increasing each one will give me? Eg increasing the bass is a deeper sound, blah blah.

thanks,guys
Volume
F (don't know) - could be drive/presence/reverb. If it's drive it'll change the amount of distortion. Reverb will give you an "echo" type of sound (as in when you're in a gym or stadium and u scream and you can hear your voice bouncing off walls)
Treble - Raises high frequencies (gives you a fright sound)
Mids - Changes mid frequencies (the more mids the crispier the tone usually is; if you move it down it'll be more mild and warmer sounding)
Bass - Raises low frequencies (deeper)
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 7, 2008,
He just explained what each one does.

The F is like a prescence, if memory serves me correctly. I have the same guitar.
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
V= Volume
F= "Face Brace Sensor" presence. There is an additional pickup/sensor in Cole Clarks soundboards that detects movement/vibrations of the soundboard. This controls the output of that sensor.
T= Treble. A higher setting here will give a brighter sound, crisper highs.
M= Midrange. Controls the midrange of frequencies. Higher will brighten up the overall sound and give a fuller sound. Lower will darken the overall sound.
B= Bass. Low end frequencies. Turn this up to increase the bass output, or turn it down to decrease it.

All info above can be had at the Cole Clark web site:
http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/index.asp
Thanks a bunch guys, now when you say controls the frequencies, what exactly does it do to them? Also, i just plugged in my accoustic to have a look at the different sounds i could achieve, i noticed a crisp bright sound when i turned up the treble ( which controls the higher frequencies) what is the difference between a higher frequency and a lower frequency, turning up the treble also brightened the lower bass notes, and middle did the same exact sounded less bright. Are higher frequencies stronger than middle frequencies or something? Also are there high frequencies and low frequencies in one note, eg if i play a low e, is there a mixture of high and low frequencies in that one note?

Thanks again, and sorry for my questions, im like a seagull, give me a chip and i wont go away!
Think of the T, M, & B sliders as color controls for the treble, midrange, and bass frequencies that the guitar can produce. The sliders don't create the sound itself, that's the part of the guitar. What they will do is enhance the presense of or take away from those signals passing through them, namely the notes you are playing on the guitar. So strum the low E string all by itself, and while it's ringing out, slide the bass slider from side to side. The low E note is still there no matter which side you have the slider, but is more powerful sounding on the right, and very subdued on the left. They're sort of like adjusting the picture quality on your TV. The picture is already there on the screen because it's coming from another source like a DVD or cable. You can tweak it to make it how you want it by adjusting for color, contrast, tint and so on.
As for if there are a mixture of frequencies being heard when one particular note is being played, the short answer is yes. Do you have time and/or patience for the long one?
Hey dave,

thanks man, yeah i have time to read any really long answer. Thanks man
Kewl. Just remember, you asked for it! haha

The first thing to learn about a vibrating guitar string is that most of what's occuring to the string as it's doing it's thing(vibrating) will be invisible to the naked eye because it's happening too fast. But slow it way way down, and oh man, there's a lot of stuff going on all at once! Besides the fact that we can't see sound waves.
Let's keep using your low E string for the examples. It's tuned to pitch, and we won't be fretting it, just plucking it open. When you strike the string over the soundhole, you hear the note "E" come from the guitar. You will also hear others, which are tough to identify. This is because as the string vibrates, there's a wave traveling along it's length. The string is vibrating side to side as you can see, but the wave that I'm referring to travels along the length of the string, and it get's reflected back by both the nut and saddle, so it goes on for quite some time. As it travels, it crosses paths with certain key points on the string, namely the harmonic interval area's of the string. These other tones are called Overtones. Below is a much more in depth description of what these are.
Ok, here's a fun, real world demo of what's happening. Tune your guitar up to concert pitch, EADGBe. Make sure that you have each string right on tune, neither flat nor sharp. Mute all strings so you're 100% sure no sound is being produced. Now, pluck the B string and while it's ringing out, lightly touch the A string at the same time. What's going on? The A is vibrating! How come it's vibrating when it's on the other side of the fretboard, and you only plucked the B string. Overtones did it. At a point on the B string, it is also creating the A note, and through resonance, is causing the A string to become excited and almost magically start ringing out. Fine tuning a guitar, especially an expensive, very accurately built one, requires one to mute strings that are not being tuned in order to hear clearly just the one that is being tuned. It can be a pain to try to tune only one string when there's others going at it all at once. Kind of like trying to listen to a 3 or 4 way conversation in a small room when everyone is talking all at once. It get's confusing.
The better the strings, the guitar, the quality of build of guitar, intonation and tuning, the better you will be able to pick up on all of these overtones and make them work to your advantage.
Here's the link to a better description of overtones from Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtones

And here's a link to a physics lessons site that has yet more descriptions, lessons, examples and so on.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/sound/soundtoc.html

I hope this satisfies some of your curiosity for now, because my fingers are worn out from all the typing! lol, jk. Keep asking questions, but remember to play your guitar too!