So I'm writing this story right... And I'm having a couple of issues.

Its a fantasy story and the world is fictional, and there are some creatures and activities that happen in the real world, but I'm not sure how to describe things and I'm worried that some of the adjectives I might use wouldnt fit in there.
Iv'e asked people what they think so far and I have explained my plot and everything and they think its really good and got potential.

I want to get this finished and good, but dont want it to be as boring as Lord of the Rings, describing things for ten pages at a time. (sorry, but its my opinion)

Any halp?

Why is there not a writing thread?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
So I'm writing this story right... And I'm having a couple of issues.

Its a fantasy story and the world is fictional, and there are some creatures and activities that happen in the real world, but I'm not sure how to describe things and I'm worried that some of the adjectives I might use wouldnt fit in there.
Iv'e asked people what they think so far and I have explained my plot and everything and they think its really good and got potential.

I want to get this finished and good, but dont want it to be as boring as Lord of the Rings, describing things for ten pages at a time. (sorry, but its my opinion)

Any halp?

I don't know about halp, but I might help. You haven't really said what to help with, though...
Quote by Teh_Asian_PRO

Why is there not a writing thread?

Most of the writers I know - myself included are narcistic, secretive assholes about it.
If you mean stuff like "Oh my god!", I have no idea how to help - I avoid fantasy because I would end up being derivative and boring. Redwall changes them - instead of "helping hand" he uses "helping paw", Isaac Asimov uses "Galaxy" instead of "God", Potter has "Merlin's beard".

Basically, make it up :P
Personally I think including some real world elements into fantasy stories is a bit iffy, like I thought the point of fantasy was that you could do whatever the hell you wanted (which is actually why I hate fantasy, but I don't even read it so I wouldn't know).

I think instead of just explaining your plot and overview or whatever to people, actually write out a sample thing and submit it for constructive criticism. Then you'll know for sure what fits and what doesn't.
Write it focusing on the characters actions and feelings first and foremost, explaining the creatures, landscape, etc... as you go. Doing it piecemeal will stop you and the readers getting bored of page after page of description, that most of the readers will probs hav forgotten by the end anyways. Just do it bit by bit and dont worry about telling the readers everything right away. Good luck
Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro

How the hell can you like fantasy and not like LOTR? On that note... try reading the "Thraxas" series of books. They are fast moving and simplistic compared to most fantasy novels. Might give you an idea. I suck at writing, sorry I couldn't be more help.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Best thing to do with writing is not to dive in.

Firstly, you need to know what you're writing well. Then, take it a step further. You want to start off writing short stories. Trust me, starting small and lead up to the bigger things. Start reading novellas and short stories and see how they're written and structured and see how you could do similar.

Secondly, if you don't think it works, don't have it. Just keep going over until you're happy. If you're skeptical on it, work on it. Also, give it some time and re-read your work. You may think you've written a something good, but give it a day being extra critical and be honest with yourself, and you might find out you're better than you think or that you need to rewrite.

Hope that helps.
Quote by nebiru
How the hell can you like fantasy and not like LOTR? On that note... try reading the "Thraxas" series of books. They are fast moving and simplistic compared to most fantasy novels. Might give you an idea. I suck at writing, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I dig LOTR, but I see why some don't. There is an obscene amount of details that can often distract the reader from getting the information out of a passage.
Yeah I guess so. I did hate the first half of the first book. It takes FOREVER for anything to happen. After that I was on a roll and finished it pretty quickly.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
Yeah I guess so. I did hate the first half of the first book. It takes FOREVER for anything to happen. After that I was on a roll and finished it pretty quickly.

Exactlty the same for me. Its ok, but over descriptive imho.

The story im writing has some real world elements to it, but its not like its half/half.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by denizenz
There's a writers group, but I don't know how active it is.

It isn't, is the answer to that.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Don't sit there for hours struggling with your choice of adjectives etc. Get the bulk of the text down and you can tweak it afterwards.
I tend to overdescribe things too but some things you can do are:

1) Take a small passage from your fave writer and break down how they got the most impact across w/ as few words as possible. Always helps me to browse some Stephen King.

2) Let the reader's imagination fill in some of the blanks. Use stereotypes or common assumptions that people make. Example: If you want to describe an old man instead of describing him head to toe, mention liverspots, or milky cataracts in his eyes. Young people usually don't have these, right?

3) Think of similes that are really unique (The words rolled from his lips like glass marbles, and shattered on the hardwood floor.) or make a mash-up of words that hit w/ impact.

4) Dialects and accents are fun sometimes try a southern accent, someone w/ a stuffy nose, or italian. All the dialogue in "There Eyes Were Watching God" is written in that deep southern dialect of African Americans at the time. It brings the characters alive and helps set that person apart.

Good Luck.